1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Duane Dennison : Guitarist

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 23, 2021.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Denison began his musical career by studying classical guitar at Eastern Michigan University.[1] His work with classical guitar helped influence his unique sound, which helped earn him a spot on Spin Magazine's "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time." "Denison has played warped jazz-rock with Firewater, cool jazz with the Denison-Kimball Trio, experimental alt-metal with Tomahawk, rockabilly punk with Th’ Legendary Shack Shakers, and outlaw country with Hank Williams III. But the angular, metallic sheets of noise that Denison unleashed with the Jesus Lizard are what he’ll ultimately be remembered and revered for. Tightly controlled yet capable of ripping and tearing like a runaway chainsaw, Denison’s riffs influenced an entire generation of post-hardcore guitarists, including the burgeoning wave of noise-punkers like the Men and Roomrunner.” [2]

Mr. Dennison's rhythms in the Jesus Lizard reached out and grabbed me by the central nervous system and ?
    Instant fan boy. he plays aluminum guitars
    https://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

oregomike and Lawdawg like this.
  2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Love The Jesus Lizard! An Dennison’s playing.

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Duane Dennison is one of my all time favorite guitarists and I was lucky to see The Jesus Lizard play many times when I lived in the Chicago area in the late 80s and 90s.

I loved how he incorporated his impressive technical chops into a genre not known for virtuosity, but never brought attention to himself and almost completely eschewed solos. While their styles couldn't be farther apart, his playing reminds me a lot of Andy Summers work with the Police.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

I think that both Duane and Andy play rhythm parts that build the song that they play plus the space that they create by not playing at times

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I have an amp (SF Princeton) that Duane Denison traded into the GC on Belmont in Chicago. It had EL34's in it when I bought it, so I did what made sense at the time (early 90's) and looked him up in the White Pages to ask him about it. Found his number listed and called him, and he picked up. Said that they didn't do anything special to the amp, just plugged 'em in and let it rip. I played it like that for years until those tubes started to go, and then returned it to spec. Just had it serviced last year and it's still going strong, but isn't as wild as when I first got it, that's for sure.

Edit: taking something nice and polite and turning into a fire hazard is very on-brand, huh?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

This. Makes me wanna slap baby seals.

7. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

His work in Tomahawk is awesome.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

so wonderful.

oregomike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.