Dual Showman

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dickey, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Awesome specimen! I have a silverface Dual Showman Reverb head that is not half as nice and know that I could sell it tomorrow for $900-ish. Beware that with those amps, your neighbors may not be half as impressed as you are with it. Speaking from experience...

BTW, those amps work just fine with cabinets that occupy a smaller footprint onstage, and you won't need to mic it.

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The TFL5000D is one heckuva an Amp.
    I owned two but mine had the smaller (Twin-sized Cabs)
    for a 212 rig. Fender was producing a LARGE 212 cab too,
    which I avoided like the plague.

I finally relented and sold one of the bottoms to my best friend Bobby - with Black Widows, and the other bottom - with EV12L’s and one of the 5000D’s to my friend Rod who
    owned a shop in Newington, the other 5000D I traded for a White Strat with a rosewood neck straight up.

Being a total idiot I then bought a 68/69 Drip Edge Twin with Factory Altecs. (I’ve often wondered why the people at
    Lansing used so many names? Was it some kind of tax strategy? A different manufacturing location perhaps?)
    I’m pretty sure the drip edge Twin was the heaviest single
    212 contraption I ever owned.

Anyways - Yours is treasure for sure and I must say a great
    conversation piece for sure.

There’s a video of Albert King playing live @ Filmore East
    and Lucy’s going into YOUR amp - it’s on Youtube and it’s
    a good one. :D:D

3. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I have one of the late 90's early 2000's version, it is the same as the 100watt "TheTwin" which I also have, fabulous amp, I use it with a couple of Eminence Red White and Blue Patriots in an open back cabinet, retubed with Sovteks. Magic.

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

NOW is the time to strike that big E chord and blow that hurricane back out to sea!

And, perhaps, to stop male pattern baldness all over this planet.

Though whatever paint is left on my '89 Grand Caravan shall be sent a-flying, wherever that old blue boat may be.....

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What an incredible amp. It might be worth buying a van for.

Performers of all types have recognized that an extra dose of visual flair makes a better show. Bring this to your gigs and you will increase your own entertainment value by 100 percent. All eyes will be on you, not on the lead singer. Plus you can bring the hammer down whenever you like; sound men have no control over you now. It's your band, nobody else's, when you play this amp.

6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

To own an amp like this and NOT playing it is blasphemy.

Never understood collectors who buy expensive vintage gear and look at it instead of playing it.

But...it's your decision.

Nice amp.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its not that folks don't want them. Everybody wants them. Its that they can't justify the size and weight. Its like a swimming pool. They don't add any value to a home, because half of folks won't accept the additional maintenance, risk, etc. But every body wants one. Not exactly the same thing as something being undesirable.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to surplus, now that I've committed to all my gear in one room, and the goal of halving my collection in the next year. Everything I have, I have for a reason. But I can't play 80+ instruments, dozens of amps, lol. I want to keep everything, but I don't want to have 80+ unplayed instruments and dozens of unplayed amps. Similar issue.

8. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I told myself that, about too much weight/power i don't need......bah, i just gave in and bought a nice SF Twin with SRO's for a song and am damn happy i did. Now is the time to get these badass amps.
    They really are friggin loud though. I have pretty understanding neighbors and don't ever get past three, an OD and distortion pedal are essential.

BobbyZ and Telecastoff1 like this.
  9. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

That, without question, is the finest Dual Showman, I've ever seen. They are/were the greatest amps
    of the 60's-70's. Every band (worth their salt) had one. I'm so envious right now.....HA, HA..

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'm about to loose my mind, but I'm seriously looking at a Supertwin with EV12Ls. Bigger Iron! These things have to be over 90 lb...with a single handle.

BobbyZ likes this.
  11. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

WOW! Great find! I absolutely love those big Fender amps! I had a '66 when I was a kid. Mine didn't have reverb, of course but it was a great, wonderful sounding amp. The speaker cab just fit in the back seat of my Dad's 66 Impala. He complained every time he helped me load it, and would sing "taps", making fun of it. After putting up with a year of his complaining and ridicule, I regrettably traded it for a brand new '68 Super Reverb. If it weren't for him, I might still have it....ya never know.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  12. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

If I can find one at a decent price locally, I’d totally buy it. A lot of sellers seem to think they’re in high demand (priced too high IMO), but I suspect their wife is making them sell it so they secretly want to keep it.

Telecastoff1 and BobbyZ like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Showman Reverbs haven't shown to be very desirable on the market.... yet.
    The big cabs are almost free give away when empty, but of course with the JBL's they have value.

14. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Everything depends on originality and price. If a transformer has been replaced or there have been mods, drilled holes in the chassis I'd walk. If it is all original then I'd be very interested assuming the price is right. Those amps were made prior to placing mics in front of amps when folks had to rely solely on stage volume. Adding to that, those of us who played those amps back in the 60's and 70's are now reaching a point where the weight has to be considered and values have dropped for the larger, heavier amps. In my humble opinion the bigger the iron the better the sound. This is especially true with more than just a single speaker; Deluxe Reverb excluded. If the price is right and it is original and you won't be moving it too often I'd say buy it.
    I'd like to know what the asking price is.

15. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i LOVE the deep clear sparkly gorgeous tone from any dual showman, twin-reverb, or super-reverb

16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I think you better start saving now for your Dual Hearing Aids and your hernia operation :rolleyes:

Cool amp!!

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for the loss of your roadie.

tubegeek likes this.
  18. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

19. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I’m seriously tired of the “keep amp turned down, channel it thru the PA” method these days. Sounds like sh*t in my opinion. Although with everything going, maybe we’ll have to go back to cranking loud amps to keep safe distance.

Keeping the amp original for the most part is good, but I do feel some mods really increase its usefulness without compromising anything (higher value Mids pot, tame the bass for sure).

20. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Yep, 90lbs flat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.