1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dual P90 feedback? (pun intended)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by FRETCOM, Mar 29, 2011.

1. FRETCOM

FRETCOM TDPRI Member

Hello TDPRIers,

I have a '00 Gibson SG Classic with dual P90s that I presume are wired together in parallel for the middle toggle position. Can anyone please confirm or deny this?

What I was hoping to do was possibly modify the wiring so that I would not get as much hum in higher gain situations.

If I were to rewire the pickups to be in series instead -and- turn one of the pickups 180 degrees around...would that = to like reverse polarity (but not reverse wound)? Would these two steps accomplish me getting less hum in higher gain situations? Or is there more to it?

Any feedback or direction is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    fretcom

2. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Those two pickups should already be reverse wind/reverse polarity with respect to each other, so there is no need to re-orient one of the pups. Which I'm not sure would quite work anyway.

And you won't get any less hum in series than in parallel, just more output and a muddier/beefier tone, depending on how you hear it.

Hope that helps!

3. FRETCOM

FRETCOM TDPRI Member

Thanks Chewy.

Is the only option then in this scenario (to get less or no hum) to replace one of the P90s with a humbucker? If I could accomplish this with the pups 'as-is' and just re-wire or something I wanted to exhaust that option first. Any feedback or direction is appreciated.

Regards,
    fretcom

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rotating the pickups does NOTHING to the phase. To change the phase of the pickup by remounting it, you'd have to flip it top for bottom - yes, mount it upside down!

Check you pups with a compass to insure that the pair is a RW/RP pair. If one reads "north" and one reads "south" when you hold a compass over them, they're a RW/RP pair - and that's as good as it gets. You might try shielding, or standing farther from noise sources...

If they AREN'T a RW/RP pair, you can mod one pickup to make it RW/RP to the other: remove the pickup, open it up and "roll" the magnets, one HALF turn (top for bottom). Find the winding leads from the coil - be careful, the coil wire itself extremely thin and delicate. One lead will be soldered to the center conductor (hot) of the output lead, the other will be soldered to the baseplate, along with the braid (ground) of the output lead. Swap the lead wires from the coil, hot for ground and ground for hot.

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

P90s are my all-time favorite pickups.

I had stacked P90s (P100s) on my Gibson and I changed them for normal P90s. The noise is worth it. To me there are no good humbucking P90s... and I've tried several.

I have since installed a minihumbucker in the neck position for a different flavor in the neck spot. Perhaps this is an option for you in both spots.

[​IMG]

The minis are much brighter than you'd think. They fit in the P90's body route, though you'll need mounting brackets underneath (I had to make mine with aluminum strip and a tap for the screw threads).

I would love a SG Classic to put minis on both slots, just for variety. Nothing beats P90s though, in my book.

6. FRETCOM

FRETCOM TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the input...much appreciated :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.