Dual FX systems in parallel -- wow, this works! (sort of)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Donelson, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to try this for years, but thought it would be too complicated; plus I never had an ABY switch box until recently: Dual FX systems in parallel.

Just tried it. Using two humble Radio Shack y couplers, one for each amp (Blues Jr. and POS old Frontman). Each FX system is stereo; grays go to BJ & oranges go to POS [Hosa stereo cables].

With the ABY switch you can switch from one FX system to the other, or have both on together parallel.

I haven't noticed any weirdness re: impedance, loading, added noise, etc. So far. I think it's good to go.

Very cool & fun! Not all that complicated at all.

P.S. You don't really need two amps. That's just what I prefer.

P.S.S. Yes that is a pile of gross clothes etc. on the floor. Should have moved that! :oops:

Later -- Dammit, there is some kind of loading issue. Didn't catch that until I turned the distortions off! :neutral: Maybe NG. Fun to play with though. Any easy solution? Ha, probably not.

Attached Files:

2. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Adding a buffer at the input (before the ABY, to prevent loading from the parallel input impedance of the first pedal in each chain) and at each fx chain's output (to isolate the parallel outputs from eachother) should solve any loading issues.

3. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Really? More gizmos.... Thanks, I'll try that!

I just googled/ebayed/etc. These buffer products are pricey! I know that a lot of the cheapo pedals have buffers as an element, so not sure why *just* a buffer should cost much at all. Dadgummit, more learning needed. Seems like DIY would be the only viable option.

A clue:
    http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71

Trying to keep it all as simple to set up as possible.... I know how I am, if there is too much fiddling involved, I won't bother. Rather concentrate on the actual music.

It IS an intoxicating feeling to have the either/or/both thing!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

You can do even cheaper than that. If you go to tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk, they have tons of buffer layouts (and lots of other pedals) for veroboard (a type of prototyping board) that can be made for under a dollar, then you just add a box, jacks and a DC socket. I buy my parts for personal builds from taydaelectronics.com, since they have the best prices I've found.

On the tagboardeffects site, just scroll down until you see the "Categories" section on the right, and click Buffers. Lots of options, all of them will do the job.

-Ryan

5. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info & link, Ryan!

I spent an hour or so today trying to use regular buffered pedals, switched off, to get this to work. By far the most devices I've ever had hooked up at one time! Better results but not perfect. Not viable either -- way too many gizmos. I'm going to have to buy or make something.

I also play keys, and did lots of stuff with layering synths like everyone was doing, back in the 80's/90's. I always wished I could do something similar with guitar but never had much luck with that. But I am going to pursue this more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.