Dual amps sound out of phase

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
I got two Atomic Amplifires and a Radial Switchbone v2 running into my Br 1600 it works somewhat well but the phasing is playing tricks with my ears, does dual amps always have this effect? I’ve tried different settings with the radial, lift and 180 but it’s always a strange effect. One amp is in stereo with rackmount effects with a left and right track, and the other amp is mono in the middle. Would Reaper’s phase reverse help?

The main problem is I may have to just use my original setup, it sounds much better than the other Amplifire, there’s something about having a rackmount processor going into line level into the recorder.
The radial has nice features but it does take away some of the boldness of the amp. My new Peterson strobe pedal effects the sound too so I’m thinking I don’t want anything in the signal chain other than the rack and at line level.

Should I sell the other Amplifire and Radial and get a Helix?

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
We need to hear it for a proper comment on how to help you.

What sound are you trying to accomplish with a "stereo" and a mono signal?

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Just some thoughts here:

1. These are the Atomic direct boxes, is that correct? If they're sounding out of phase, I wouldn't assume the Radial is neutering them until you've gotten the phase issue sorted out.

2. I really can't see a benefit to running two amps at all in this scenario, since you should be able to record full-wet stereo tracks from the rack effects and then mix to taste with the dry amp, which will sound the same across the stereo field. Having the second amp's dry signal in the stereo tracks would, in theory, just sound centered in the stereo mix with the effects on the sides, and that may be what's fighting with the dry amp.

3. I suspect that the problem may be with the effects. Turn them off - and get them totally out of the signal chain. Like, unplugged out. Now try recording and see if the phase issue is there. If so, my guess is that there's a latency issue in one of the boxes somewhere. If it only appears when you're running the effects, then there's your culprit - the effect box may be introducing a small latency to even the direct signal of the amp as it goes through. Not everything has an analog signal path.

I don't know what you're using, but rack effects are as often as not expected to be used in a full-wet scenario, running off an aux send of a mixer and being mixed back in through separate channels. Run that way, you're only getting the wet part of the sound - e.g. just the reverb itself and no direct signal. A few MS of delay between the direct sound and when the reverb starts isn't going to create any phase issues at all - in fact, it's considered a feature, because "pre delay" helps separate the guitar from the reverb and keep things sounding clearer.

So yeah. Troubleshoot with the effects, and consider using only one Atomic box and tracking the full wet effects to separate channels and mixing your dry amp in. Honestly, if you're setting it up that way and you're still getting phasing issues, something's broken, or just doesn't sound good to begin with.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
clearly the solution is switching to quadruple amps
6B9s9Ig.jpg