1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DSL40CR “white noise”

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Twofingerlou, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Posted the dsl thread last week or so after I joined. I mentioned I just got the 40cr. Had it over a week now and getting adjusted but it has this constant white noise hiss. I leave the masters cranked and adjust the volume form there. It’s more pronounced on the red channels. Regardless you turn each channel volume up about 1/4th if the way and it’s there in either 20 or 40 watt mode.

I contacted sweetwater where I purchased it from (awesome customer service btw). I Tried some different trouble shooting techniques. Different rooms, I’ve had it at a buddy’s house and it did it there as well. Leaving the guitar un plugged and just turning the amp on, that made it worse. Plugging the guitar directly into the effects loop return, that helped somewhat but didn’t resolve the issue. Long story short they’re sending me a new pre amp tube to swap around.

I’m still learning and I’m no amp mechanic, hopefully this will be a smooth process to figure out. I’m sure they will make it right in the end. Just sucks to spend that kind of money and have issues pretty much out the gate.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

2. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I own a dsl 40cr which I bought nearly new. It had no hiss buzz or crackle on any channel, at any volume- absolutely perfect! After about a year of gentle home use it became gradually noisier, which I assumed meant it needed new valves (tubes.)

Nope- a new full matched set made only a minor improvement.

It ended up in a pro repair shop where they diagnosed (if I remember correctly) poor joints on the fx loop motherboard which needed re-flowed. The double bills for both valves and repair took the shine off the amp for me a little, but that was over a year ago and it has been fine (touch wood!) ever since. No hiss, no white noise. My dsl is the "quietist" amp I own.

That's what you should expect and don't settle for less. Best of luck!

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Whew sounds like a pain, if this pre amp tube doesn’t fix it, it can go back and I’ll get something else.

4. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I would just like to stress that I think it's a great sounding, very useable and very flexible amp design.:cool:

Twofingerlou likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.