DS1 better than SD1 - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by smoothrecluse, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:35 PM.

1. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve had my DS1 Distortion for years, and just recently got an SD1 Overdrive based on all the acclaim from across the internet and general GAS-iness.

To me, the DS1 is much more transparent and doesn’t color my tone like the SD1 does. Even though it’s a distortion pedal, I can turn the gain down and get the overdrive tone that I
    expected out of the overdrive pedal.

That being said, they’re a lot of fun together; using the overdrive to push the DS1 over the top.

Is there something about the Boss SD1 Overdrive that I’m missing? Some special settings? I mean, I’m just playing Telecasters through a Deluxe.

stax and Jazzerclean like this.
  2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if you have the OD-3 yet, but I like the OD-3 over both of those. It's warmer.

smoothrecluse and dlew919 like this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The Ds-1 is where boss got it right I think. There’s a reason that it’s the second biggest selling pedal in the boss line. (The Tu3 is the biggest, I think - one of the tuners). The angry internet will tell you it’s terrible, but most of the angry internet bought pedals that made the same sound for less reliability at 3-5 X the price, so get very defensive.

it’s a good boost a great OD and a fantastic distortion - and a decent fuzz. It stacks beautifully.

I know you were asking fir settings for the sd- I’m a bd2 man for overdrive. Sorry if I’ve gone too far off track

also I know there’s lots of people who don’t like the ds1 for other reasons. I’m only looking at the 'gear snobs' with 'great ears'. So probably not you reading this.

kaludjerko, dlaroe and smoothrecluse like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Different EQ.

DS1 is “flat”.

SD1 pushes mids.

If you don’t need the mids, I think the DS1 is the best Plexi-in-a-Box pedal. And like a good Plexi, it responds great to the guitar volume knob for low gain goodness.

RyCo1983, middy, KW1977 and 3 others like this.
  5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

The best kept secret is somewhere in between...... an Allums modded SD-2.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It is not an OD3

smoothrecluse likes this.
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

PSX_20200701_140254.jpg
    Love my DS-1, own three of them, a 1981 MIJ (middle of pic) two MIT. I also have two SD-1's that I really like, very different pedals but I always, always go back to my trusty DS-1. MilwMark nailed it by saying Plexi in a box, cheap price simple to use IMO the best distortion pedal.

ORANGE GOODNESS BY BOSS

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:46 AM
    MilwMark and smoothrecluse like this.
  8. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

You like Boss distortion pedals, then how about ME-80?
    The multi-effect board has those popular Boss pedals (plus a fantastic Boss version Tube Screamer and Big Muff), and you can shape your DS or SD sound with a very nice preamp section.

teleteej and smoothrecluse like this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love my DS-1. It's part turning knobs and seeing what sounds good and what doesn't, and part not giving a damn what anyone says so long as it sounds good to you.

What's the deal with the one with the white knobs? There's a similar one for sale locally that's supposed to be modded somehow, but I can't get any more details. I'm wondering if someone out there does (or did) DS-1 mods and uses white knobs as a signature, like Keeley did with the black knobs and blue LED.

Jazzerclean and smoothrecluse like this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Isn’t the MXR ‘78 the original DS1 cloned with a Keeley mod on a switch?

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

How a pedal works for a person is so individual-- it depends on their ears and their rig. But I agree that lots of pedal snobs overlook the much more pedestrian, affordable pedals and go spend a ton of money on boutique pedals with fancy graphics and a high price that often have the same guts on the inside.

When getting mods by Keeley and Allums and their ilk was the cool thing to do, I think there was often some hype (or at least misunderstanding) there as well. I bought into it and had an SD1 modded by Keeley, and then I discovered that I actually liked the stock SD1 better for my ears and my use case. In my opinion Boss tends to optimize pedals to work well with a variety of amps, guitars, and situations. Jack of all trades, master of none, if you will. The mods often optimize the pedal to make it sound great for a particular application-- such as bedroom volume with a single coil guitar into a clean Fender amp-- but then it no longer sounds as good for other applications. So it's actually a trade-off, not a clear "upgrade".

That said, there are some mods that I don't think anyone would argue with. A stock GE-7 is pretty noisy, and it turns out that most of the noise comes from the EQ sliders. I replaced all of them with higher quality ones and the noise dropped dramatically. That's a universally useful upgrade, IMO, rather than a trade-off.

I also think that there are definitely some higher-priced pedals out there that are actually worth it....depending on your individual use case.

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister

Not sure about the Keeley mod part but the collective belief is that it is modified DS-1, not a clone. The switch just switches to LED for the dirt.

The SD-1 is just too thin. Wipes out too much low end. The DS-1 is good for pushing the front end of a Marshall. Not my first choice as primary source of drive but if you roll the tone down to a sensible level you can cop some great early Satriani tones..

13. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

DS-1 is the only pedal I have purchased twice. I had one in the 80s. I sold it, spent a few years and many dollars looking for something better, then bought a new DS-1. As long as you keep the tone knob dialed back, it's a great pedal, especially into a slightly dirty amp or stacked with other gain pedals.

stnmtthw and smoothrecluse like this.
  14. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

An SD-1 into a clean amp isn’t a tone I’d have much use for either. Pedals like it are good for pushing other sources of dirt though (sounds like you’ve already seen this by running it before your DS-1). I’d really only use it before higher gain amps and pedals (gain down, volume up) to tighten up the low end and beef up the mids. There are some great tones to be had running an SD-1 into the front end of a JCM800 or other mid-gain Marshall for more chunk and saturation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    RyCo1983, smoothrecluse and chris m. like this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with this. Except I think that Boss pedals are actually optimized for - loud stage evironments. Go figure. They are the master of that trade. It's the only one that matters to me.

But ironically, the DS1 is the all time best "home" overdrive for me as well. I also have an old MIJ one. It does sound somewhat different from the modern one. I like them both, about equally.

16. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The bass and treble cut off points on an sd1 are sudden and drastic, so the mids are where it's at. Make sure your amp settings reflect this - sometimes scooping your amp's mids can help the sd1 settle in to your sound. Unity is set quite high too, so you have to really goose the level knob to get there if you use it as the sole OD. Mine is usually set level up full, drive at minimum if used on its own or level about 70% if I'm stacking it with an eq or another drive.
    Tele bridge pickups love mid-heavy ODs; I usually find myself lingering on the bridge when I've got sd1 on.
    Its great pedal, stick with it.

Jakedog and smoothrecluse like this.
  17. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I had said I was done with ODs...then I played one of these. Think I'll be getting one more, after all. :confused:

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

The SD-1 is Boss' version of the TS-808 so it is very different from the DS-1. The OD-3 is different, too. I have a DS-1 in my rehearsal rig and like it a lot. I use a Crunchbox for the same function in my gigging pedal board.

19. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

The one with white knobs (so I can tell my DS-1's apart at a glance) is was a stock standard MIT thru hole that I did a Vintage plexi mod on which cost $5 in electronic parts. I think you'll find that vast majority of mods done on DS-1's are home DIY jobs, and many use those white knobs (millions of "how to tutorials" on the net). Word of warning, the quality of the mod is down to the person's skills doing the mod rather than a hack job. Mods are not hard but need to be done well to avoid future failure. I also changed the red LED putting in a bright a blue LED and is like a laser beam lol. My other two DS-1's are stock standard. The modded one changes the tone treble side taking out high end brittleness, also smooths out the gain to more of an overdriven Plexi that is less fuzzy at higher gain levels and gives it a bump in the level. Sounds great!
    The stock DS-1's are also great, I just wanted a variant and I got the one I modded for a low price. Love them all!

Edit, i also put in a remote 1/8" jack run a seperate on/off switch leaving my pedals sitting on the amp.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    SixStringSlinger likes this.
  20. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Love my DS-1.

SD-1 - meh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.