Ds-1 club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Jeremy Blaze, Jan 31, 2014.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Try running the tone on the pedal low, for a darker sound, which will help with the fizziness. There are mods as well, the machine head pedals "outlaw" mod is simple and straight forward, and addresses the fizz pretty well.

2. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

You may be an OD guy. However, try starting with the gain all the way down and increase until you find something you like. Roll the tone back a bunch as well, since the ds1 can get pretty shrill with treble. This pedal is very sensitive to pick attack, so play lightly when applicable.
    Alternatively, I sometimes like to crank the gain, roll back my guitar tone on the neck pickup, add some reverb and delay, then just go to town with some extra thick lead sounds.

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I get that periodically as well. There are mods that will take care of it. I haven't done any of them and won't as mine is a mint MIJ Black label and I don't wanna fiddle with the whole Vintage vibe. I do get good results though stacking it with my TS808 and or the dirty channel on my BDRI.
    YMMV;) Depending on what genre/music you're playing though you may be an OD guy :)

+1 on David's 'roll the tone back a bit and start with the gain low'!!!

G

4. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Very COOL! I had a similar experience when I bought one for my nephew!
    His eyes got real big when he kicked it on the first time, LOLLOL :lol:

G

5. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go at rehearsal this afternoon.

6. Old Mother Hell

Old Mother Hell Tele-Meister

So, I jettisoned a pair of idiosyncratic boutique fuzz pedals for the DS-1, stock, unmodded. With some dial tweakage, still hands down the best thing for my guitar sound.

7. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

I have a bunch of dirt pedals, from boutique to crap. Some have gone bye bye and a few made the cut. My DS1 is still with me after all these years. It definitely has it's own character and for good distorted hard rock tones, there's not much the beats it, especially at it's price point.

First time I tried it, I hated it. I was in this mindset where the tone knob had to be pointing to 12:00 or to the right of that. I came across a reference online to dialing back the tone to 10:00 or lower, tried it, and voila, it made all the difference. Got rid of that 'papery' quality and left a nice, rich distortion behind.

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

It was my first pedal I bought in 1990 for about $20 new. Never really liked it for all the reasons people talk about. Now, I run it through a Tubescreamer as basically a treble booster and to add some more bite to my sound. I can get some great tones out of it now, especially for the price.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Count me in -- I love my stock Taiwan DS-1. Just does what it's meant to do. I keep my tone on zero and crank the level to max. I never really push the distortion pass the half-way mark. It works for me in front of clean or dirty sounding amp tones.

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Keep the tone low, even completely off. Crank the level. Adjust distortion level to taste. Ride your guitar volume and tone knobs for loads of dirt textures.

11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I bought one out of a pawn shop a couple of years ago because I always wondered about them. I really tired to like it. The thing that killed me with it is using it for lead stuff had a harsh ragged edge. I like more of a round edge. I recently got a 90's American made RAT2 and it's a lot more to my liking. I still got the DS-1. I've have put off selling it, not sure why. Platefire

12. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

got back in. traded a bd2 with a ds1

13. basso

basso TDPRI Member

Any DS-1 experts in here? Picked up a DS-1 and when I opened to mod it, it looked more like a Japan made, it is a black label MIT, has the original Toshiba chip in it but the serial number decoder says it was made in Feb of 1981, from what I've read production didn't move to Taiwan till like '84 so I have no idea what I have. Ser#033100. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

14. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

it had ULTRA and SEM mods in it. did some mods to it. Green LED on the switch of the ULTRA side. removed the SEM. did the flat mids mod. now its one versatile pedal from od to distortion. Has more distortion compared to my HM-2 heavy metal

15. brapscallion

brapscallion TDPRI Member

I bought one the other day when it came up on a buy/sell FB group for dead cheap. I'd been relying on an OD pedal for a while, but I was unhappy with the difference in volume between clean and driven, so thought I'd give this a shot.

And I was super surprised and happy. Mine has had the Diode mod done, so that it's much less 'thin' sounding, and gives it a lot of oomph.

Super versatile pedal. Really well built. Dead cheap. Doesn't matter if I have to use another amp when playing a festival or a gig with lots of bands on the bill, I know I can dial this in pretty well with no problems!

leonard d rock likes this.
  16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I still have my stock DS-1 but every time I hook it up thinking I will use it, when I hear it put it back up. I just like the softer dist of a OD pedal so much more. Probably only way I'll ever use it if a mod would bring it around to my liking. If I didn't have any other dist pedals, I would definitely use it but have plenty of others that sound better. Platefire

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Monte Allums mod on mine. Turned it into a nice warm overdrive that I use for a lead boost. The high gain setting sounds awesome as well.

18. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if you guys uses a humbucker equipped guitar with your DS-1s... I remember I had one even modded on my Ibanez SA32 dual humbuckers and it still sounded thin and doesn't have the Ooomph . stock is worse... o_O

19. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

The venerable DS-1 pedal has certainly garnered more than adequate negitive coloums of print ,including some very caustic comments on it's lack of worth for doing any thing other than sitting forgotten in a shoe box out in the back yard shed or the dank storm cellar.
    As part time harsh noise creator, this humble petal pedal came my way used, fully functional with it's distinctive pain job still lookin' good. I tried it and thought humph not much here.

Then I read about how well this pedal interacts with clear amp adjustments, My modeler Digitech GSP 1101 responds well to pedals, so I shifted Into a "fender twin" clear and tried the pedal. then Marshall Vox Hiwatt carvin Vai ,digitechs Clear tubes.
    with all of these different models this pedal performed handsomely.
    Naysayers beware , do not vex me, it's true plug this into a clean input channel, and it did some very nice things. you may not care fore the flavor ( it will not turn a champ into a Engel Fireball or a Bogner Uberschall.
    so, there it is . IMHO this pedal suffers from the dreaded user error syndrome.

JustABluesGuy and dlew919 like this.
  20. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

I just bought what has to be about my 5th or 6th DS-1. I think I've finally learned not to sell them. I had a specific need for a distortion pedal with buffer. Hello!?!... DS-1! I eSniped one for $23 on eBay, then found out the seller included a One Spot AND an 8-plug daisy chain. Boss deal of the year.

I had planned to do an Allums Recto mid on it, but I dunno.... seems pretty dang good as-is. Maybe I need another one to mod, so I can compare the two.

The DS-1 deserves no negative trash-talking on the web. What it does, it does well, and for dirt cheap. A classic.

StormJH1 and JustABluesGuy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.