Dryer Repair

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Aug 25, 2019.

1. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer. All power is there and the panel lights up. Interior light comes on when you open the door. Power switch lights up but when you push the start button you hear a click and nothing happens. The barrel will spin manually but not sure how much belt resistance there should be. Start with the belt? If the belt is there and properly running through the motor assembly what next?

20190824_171141[1].jpg

2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Look for your manual. You should be able to put it into diagnostic mode and retrieve a fault code. I have a duet also. The door switch failed on mine. Pretty sure the light still worked though. If you are handy, pull the codes they are fairly easy to repair

KG7IL and dented like this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Can you hear the motor running? Any faint humming, buzzing, etc? Some safety switch (like the open-door switch) that's keeping it off? Worked OK before? Overload protector/fuse/breaker/reset button? I dunno, the first & only dryer I opened up & fixed was from the 80's, the appliance version of a Tweed Champ compared to a Cyber-Twin.

dented likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

these things have thermal sensors all over the place and if one is gone or the heating element is toast the unit will not fire up, my last one I had ( after major diagnostics) has a 50cent diode and resistor combo blown on the computerized control board , the problem was the the control board had 2 inches of clear epoxy covering it and no way to access the electronics .......

the solution it cost me 70.00 for the service call to the house and 1400.00 for a new washer and matching dryer ( for some reason they stopped making my unit and the controll board was no longer available ,go figure)

dented likes this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds like a bad switch (actuator?).

dented likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Could be a belt issue ... Pull the back panel and have a look ..

dented likes this.
  7. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Are you going to troubleshoot it,if so as mention check switch,thermal sensors and heating element,if there shot ,thermal sensors, theres usually two types and are on line and get a few of each,if it comes down to the brain check prices then check, the website Circuit board medic, they will troubleshoot and have it back to you in three days for 99 bucks,alittle more with shipping,I found no bad reviews.They fixed my Maytag front loader brain,and they back there work.Good luck!

dented likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, these machines are pretty easy to diagnose, so not to worry. Just continue on with the trouble shooting. A dryer is not rocket science whatsoever.

dented likes this.
  9. dented

No motor noise or any sound at all when pushing the start switch after the initial click. I'll pull it apart and check belt first and then keep going. There are some thermal resistor type jobbies in there that are said to let loose. Now to find my multimeter....lol

10. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

From what I have heard so far is Everything is fine during power up, but when actually push the start button you hear once click...

Like Solenoid or Relay?

I'm also going with the switch (safety switch for door closed)
    It's easy to test, manually actuate, bypass....

Do the easy stuff first....

dented likes this.
  11. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Heads up - MANY PARTS - interchangeable between brands and priced from cheap to very expensive. For instance the motor on a dryer I just fixed was priced from any place around $75 to up over $300 depending on where you bought it. I actually found one on Amazon for $78 and bought it. Thermal fuses I get them by the dozen for like $6. They're about $5 each when you buy them one of the time! Same with lid switches. And same thing goes with thermostats they're all the same parts, and most aftermarket parts have the wiring spade connectors for any type of machine that they put it back into.... That is to say, both male and female of different sizes just use the connection you need. Timers are another story and so our timing boards but you can find those all over the place at different prices too

IT PAYS TO SHOP AROUND

KG7IL and dented like this.
  12. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

There are a couple-few of these online places that sell appliance parts and have a "troubleshooter" algorithm.

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/repair-help/

Often videos of how to do the job.

Like I say there are a few of these type places so do some shopping around.

dented likes this.
  13. dented

Did everything it said in the manual and no codes appear on the panel. WTH? Tried it 5 times.

14. dented

Yep 69.95 for a house call.

24 track likes this.
  15. dented

Did that, no barrel roll.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hate those freakin' things.
    I search Craigslist for driers that have one big knob that goes "kkkkkkkkkkkkkkrrrrrrit" when you twist it and a button that says "START."
    I recently replaced one that had been in the house since 1979 with a similar one that will probably last at least 20 years.

dented and Milspec like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've started shopping and reading reviews because I need to replace a Maytag washer and dryer from 1999. I put new timer assemblies in both of them about 11 months ago. The washer is now blowing its internal fuse and I've decided that they've exceeded their practical life.

dented likes this.
  18. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Could be your vent is plugged up and it blew the fuse.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

Ok.. but do you hear the electric motor turn. Listen for the MOTOR...

20. dented

no only the click when pushing start then it gives me three bells....click....push it again...ding ding ding, no motor hum, haven't taken it apart yet. working 12 days straight among other things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.