Drunks at Gigs...Arghhh

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarteach, Feb 16, 2019.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

cmon .. they spice up the night .. couldn't be a great gig without someone spilling a beer on you SR, or wanting to play your number one right ?:D:lol:

i always advise the technique mentioned in the above video... seems to work very well with teles :)

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I don't play out much anymore. But when I did, if anyone came up to the stage and asked to stand in and play my guitar, I told them the same thing I would tell them now, "NOBODY TOUCHES MY GUITARS THAT WANTS TO LIVE. Go home and get your guitar and come back." That's always worked. A few times, I've had bandmates lean on me to let someone use my guitar, and I've threatened to quit the band in the middle of the gig. I never let anyone touch my stuff, especially if they're drunk.

bbetancourt, Loco, DGN1969 and 4 others like this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

A big biker peed in the tip jar at one place, a long time ago. The drummer got the tips that night ... he didn't seem to mind rinsing the bills in the john. Drummers.

CoyotesGator, DGN1969, JSMac and 4 others like this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

It's easy, only three chords.
    G
    Free bird
    C
    Free bird
    D
    Free bird
    G
    Free bird.

Thanks for the $20 tip.

DGN1969 likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My old band was the opposite. During our time together, we went through two drummers. Both of them became really drunk at gigs, one of them attacked a bar patron who he saw talking to his girlfriend while he was playing (He waited for the set to end and then he basically jumped from behind the drum kit, ran off the stage and tried to attack him). The other drummer threatened physical harm to a bar owner who didn't pay us the agreed amount. We got the cops called on us.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    DGN1969, rob2 and String Tree like this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Baby, that's Rock and Roll!!!

thegeezer and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

You had a Tele, right?

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  8. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I can tell who's gonna make trouble long before it starts. I know damn well the staff can as well, and it really frustrated me that they rarely do anything about it until there's an incident. Don't miss bar gigging at all.

9. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I had a guy at a gig come and ask me if he could borrow my guitar and do a couple of songs with the band. Now I knew this guy had a 'cab over' truck and trailer parked outside so I said "Sure mate, give me the keys to your truck and while you play my guitar I'll take your truck for a drive around the block." He declined the deal saying I wouldn't be able to drive a big truck like that. Little did he know that for a while I used to drive tank transporters when I was serving in the Army.. S

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In my experience, they're usually the loudest guy in the place. If it is loud enough to be concerning, you've got your man!

Oh, the stories.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes having a cop around is a blessing. They are legally authorized to use violence to subdue an unreasonable person. No one else is. Everyone else risks getting hurt if they lose and possibly doing hard time if they win. I knew a young woman whose husband was in prison for getting in a bar fight. They took it outside. The other guy swung first. Her husband parried the punch and counterpunched. The guy fell down, hit his head on the curb, and died.

12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

So, this religious group goes to Vegas for some retreat or something (why Vegas?) and the families are eating at a bar and grill on N. Jones. After dinner, they are all getting ready to go back to the motel, when a drunk gets in the face of one of the men from the church group. No reason, really, just a drunk being stupid ... grabs at the guy ... the church guy puts his palms out to keep the guy away, and what happens? The drunk falls and lands on his head ... dies.
    I can't remember if they finally found the church guy guilty, but he was in jail waiting for a trial that messed up his life. Don't know where he was from ... not Nevada. Worst vacation ever.

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I have seen a picture of a texas bar that has chicken wire in front of the stage.
    The chick wire usual stops the flying chairs , but it always stops the bottles .
    Selling beer can be a dangerous occupation.....:rolleyes:

14. Vestal

Vestal TDPRI Member

Last Friday night had a guy fall backwards over my monitor knocking my mic into my face and guitar, breaking a string. Had a break for 10 minutes to restring cause I was too lazy to get my backup from the car and felt like a break anyway. Went back on and the guy is back on the dance floor moving backwards in circles going close to my monitor again. Luckily his girlfriend guided him away from the monitor every time he got close. He was obviously drunk and this venue cared little for Responsible Service Of Alcohol laws but I really wanted crack him with my guitar but I didn’t have a Tele.

15. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Ah, yeah. That was me. Sorry. Won't do it again. Well, not until Saturday.

jguitarman likes this.
  16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my last gigs was like navigating a mine field of every drunk stereotype there is.

The hammered girl that hears “her song” and takes over the dance floor, forgetting she has a full beer in her hands. It was like a stinky, malty rain shower.

The guy that only sort of knew us, but felt like he knew us well enough to get on stage.

The crying girl and the vulture guys that came to her rescue.

The backward dancing guy that fell into me, missing my pedal board by six inches.

The angry girl berating us at midnight for not playing “a few more songs” after four hours.

Good times!

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep.. That’s the place we played... with a dark cloud of pent up, ready to explode aggression to add some spice to the night :)

We agreed not to play there again until they sort some security.

-Hawk- likes this.
  18. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Back in the 70s I played a club circuit and a couple of venues had a reputation for being (ahem) rather exciting. Our motto was "keep going until the PA goes over".
    In the interval at one venue a group of guys 'told' us that their mate always got up and sang with the band. This mate was already three sheets to the wind so we played right through and packed the gear into the van.

We thought we'd got away with it -- maybe they were all too drunk to remember. Er, no. Four of them were waiting at the club car park gate. Our van had sliding, not hinged, doors on each side. As we tried to get passed without knocking anyone down, one guy, about the size of a well-built gorilla, grabbed hold of the passenger side door and pulled it completely off its runners. It was pedal to the metal time -- and 25 miles back home in mid-December with one door missing. Hey ho, rock'n' roll eh.

Digital Larry, DGN1969 and Mosstone like this.
  19. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

A few years ago I was playing pedal steel at a gig where the stage was about a foot off the floor. So, the crowd had easy access to the band. This drunk comes up to me and tells me he needed the steel to be louder. I directed him to the sound guy. When he got no where with him, he was back bugging me. He was standing right next to me screaming turn it up when I was trying to play. After a couple of songs like this, I told him to go back, lean over, and put his head up against the 15" speaker in my Nashville 400, which I had set on a folding chair. I said, "When it's loud enough, give me the thumbs up." When he was in position, I goosed my volume pedal to the floor. The guys in the band thought had gone crazy. Well, he staggered away with his thumb up and I never saw him again that night. He's probably still hearing "All My Exes Live in Texas" in his head.

DGN1969, ndcaster, jguitarman and 2 others like this.
  20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the average pub gig in Doncaster in the 90s. Scunthorpe was like the Blues Brothers, but worse...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.