Drunks at Gigs...Arghhh

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarteach, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

What a way to spoil a great night! We sounded great tonight. Great PA, I had full volume on the old JMP Marshall.. :)

But... some drunk, possibly drugged, a**hole kept trying to get on the stage and in each band member’s face or touch them or the gear. He was close to getting a strat forcibly whacked into his head when he tried to grab the girls.

Venue security nowhere in sight to eject the stupid f***ker. Usually in those cases, some audience members will ‘guide’ them out the door and boot them into the street, but no.

We were advised the venue and town was rough but this was bad.

Attached Files:

2. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That sucks man. That guy is probably an a hole under the best of circumstances and the drink just brings out more of the real jerk.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Our band was lucky, our drummer is an old detective and I am sizeable enough that we usually squashed that crapola right away. It is the tough part of being beer salesmen errrrr, musicians. The leftover adrenaline after that crap is the part that ruins the night.

4. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

You need to find someone with chicken-wire expertise! :) Depending on the stage, sometimes you can use monitors or cases to block access. If you were outside I’d be hoping one of the women would mace em when he started creeping. If you go back, ya might want to have a conversation with them about their security. Musicians can be easy targets and you shouldn’t hafta be dealing with stage intrusions. Even happy drunks get on stage and spill beer everywhere. Hell, I dumped a pint in my Mesa Boogie and I shoulda known better.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sadly, it’s an everynight occurrence in barword.
    I endure it every Friday night.
    It’s part of the job.
    It (almost) doesn't bother me anymore.
    I just try to get out of the bar ASAP after the gig.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I have noticed over the years that there will always be a-holes in the audience that get jealous of the performer on stage and end up acting out after a few drinks. I toured for a year as a stand-up comic and that was how every heckler was born once their girl starts ignoring him and laughing at your jokes. In the music world, they don't try to be funnier though, they just go right to wanting to fight.

I was at a local show last night and there was a shaved muscle head standing next to me in a tank top with a trophy blond date. After the 3rd beer and being ignored by his date, he immediately started declaring that he could kick every band member's ass. After the 6th beer, he grabbed his date by the arm and said that they were leaving. She broke away and said she wanted to stay. He immediately started heading for the stage saying that the "singer was a *****" and how he was going to "smash his face". I might have been twice his age, but they grow them big on the farm and was also about twice his size so I "encouraged" him to the exit.

No reason for jerks to ruin a good time for 200 people.

Loco, DGN1969, El Tele Lobo and 6 others like this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I don’t enjoy being around drunks when I’m sober. I kind of enjoy being sober most of the time. I was always a I’m going home and go to sleep kind of drunk. Now I’m a I’m going home sober and sleep kinda guy.

8. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Yanno, I had a colleague of mine give me this word of advise on handling hecklers......walk up to the mic and thank them. I have never had to endure anything quite like that, though. I imagine the heckling of comedians is waaayy worse most of the time. And thanking one would be far too mild of a response (although I’ve seen Paula Poundstone do exactly that). As a musician, strangely all the hecklings (I’ve heard at least lol) have been compliments. Weird. I reckon that’s a much rarer occurrence in standup realm.

9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

You house sized guys have options others don't. Which is why I advise the OP not to use a flimsy strat on these guys. Keep a Peavey or a Kramer handy.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did a gig in Hinton Alberta, in a then newly rebuilt hotel , I had one DB come over and start messing with the soundcraft console , so I told him not to touch my stuff bought him and his sweet looking girlfriend a beer and told him to enjoy the show. 10 min later hes back this time even drunker , I told the girl behind the bar about this. not even 15 seconds later about 30 leather clad fully colored members of the local brother hood showed up , surrounded this gentle man and escourted him to the door with out issue , they returned very shortly there after and disappeared into the wood work like they were never there to begin with, smoothest operation I ever saw and you never saw another set of colors for the rest of the night.

11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I never tried that approach, I just made them the butt of every joke until he shut up. I was given the advice by Paul Riser one night to invite the heckler to the stage and hand him the mic. Either he will become a funny straight man for you or else be so embarassed that he wets himself and runs off. Either way you win.

12. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

FREEBIRD!!!:)

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Didn't CCR address this in "Lodi"?

14. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

We played one bar where this happened every time we played there. Same guy each time....he was the owner....

He would get tanked up and his daughter basically took over the bar while he mingled around the crowd getting in everyone's face. He would eventually make it to the stage and demand us to play "Amarillo By Morning" which we knew and he demanded to sing it. Always a train wreck and then he'd yell at us "you guys suck" in the microphone. Eventually his daughter would corral him up in the office and lock him in there.

Every time we went back he would apologize to us when we were setting up and he was still sober. Later in the night he'd do it again.

15. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

I admit. I was that guy once. I wasn't aggressive or anything, just annoying. The band was called The Upsetters. I made several people upset.
    I never did that again and I am fortunate that cell phones with cameras weren't prevalent back then.

16. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The worst time I ever had was one night in Germany, at a smaller venue than we usually played. This drunk kept trying to get up on stage and finally he tipped a mike stand at just the same time as our bass player stepped up to sing a harmony part and got the mike in his mouth...it looked A LOT worse than it was, but there was some blood, so of course we stopped playing( the first and only time ) to take care of both our bass player and the a#%^*&#@.....we found out later that the guy was from our record company, apparently he was a big fan and got drunk before he introduced himself to us. In the end all was good, but for just a moment, he almost ate a tele....we all laughed about it on the bus afterwards.

RJ

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Mosstone and smartsoul72 like this.
  17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Cut my chops back in the 70's and 80's doing the punk rock thing. I've seen it all. Kinda why the Les Paul is my weapon of choice so to say. Heavy suckers and pack quite a punch in more ways than one

Loco, String Tree and bftfender like this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i read the title of this and thought to myself, "whats the problem"....as ive pretty much been drunk as hell at almost any gig ive ever played.....now that im older im chilling out on that.

19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Been there ... 1990, there was a biker bar in Arizona with, not chicken wire, but a cyclone fence kennel about 15'x15'x10' for the band to play in. Drove from Vegas, 8 hours to get there.
    They had a gun-check girl ... like a hat check girl, but she took your guns and gave you a receipt. They went in a locked room. The drunks were epic ... many of them were cops ... at the biker bar. All we needed were vampires and we could have had a Tarantino movie. Worst gig EVAR. I think it was private, like only cop-undercover-biker-drunks, or something. Also, they told us we were too loud. Oh, man!
    Paid us cash, though, so we had that going for us.

DGN1969, Mosstone, Mike SS and 4 others like this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The band were not up for that... I tried.

jimbo735 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.