1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drums make my head hurt

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Stefanovich, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

It isn't the noise, it's the cognitive load on my brain as I try to learn to play them. There is something so difficult about getting four limbs to do things in a manner that is independent but related.

They seem so simple to play, but I am struggling!

Toadtele and Flip G like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yes.

3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

first you go left foot then right foot then you go

MikeBee likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I gave up, I hated them and dropped out at school, and went the guitar route. Just couldn't get it all together enough, just like yourself in many ways. Never looked back, and never wanted to either. Not much encouragement, sorry, I wish you we'll though.

5. johnny k

More seriouilsy, doing that jungle beat helps if your toms are in tune. No kididing.

6. johnny k

edit start with the drum bass / charley and then add toms as you wish. it will sound cool no matter what you play.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  7. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Start with two limbs.
    Play 8ths on the hihat and 1 and 3 on the kick. Then drop the bass drum and play the same pattern on the hats and hit the snare on 2 and 4. That should help.
    Playing the "one-drop" reggae style is also good- 1/4 notes on the hat and hit the snare and kick on 3 only.

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing at school was in tune, including the teacher lol.

johnny k likes this.
  9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I love to play drums - everybody else not so much....

Toadtele likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Good luck! But please, take it from a guy whose drummer whispers by yelling...protect your hearing. I’ve never been happier in a band since switching to IEMs. If I never hear another crash cymbal close up, it’ll be a great life.

Alex_C likes this.
  11. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I had a bug for years to at least try to play them. At the last bartending (and drinking) job I had, Zeps "When the Levee Breaks" was in regular juke box rotation and the intro pushed me over the edge. About 8 yrs ago I stumbled on to a great teacher who was selling a snare drum locally and was a NY Studio drummer in the '60s. Anyway, long story less nauseating, I wound up taking and video recording around 20 or so Lessons from him for which he would never accept payment. Life, as it does, threw him a nasty curve ball a few years back and he's been on dialysis 3x a week to this day and I was able to help him with things that come up due to illness. But, the bug never left me and while I don't play daily anymore I do play every other day for an hour or so with one of my lessons and still love it.

Flip G likes this.
  12. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

There is so much to drumming, just keep shifting your focus around.
    Learning how to grip and swing a stick is a study unto itself. Rudiments go on forever. Experiment with tunings. Keep at it.

13. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Play along to albums you know intimately. I say albums, not songs, because, as with the guitar, you need to limber up your wrists and shoulders the way you would unstiffen the strings of a guitar that you haven't played for a number of days. I first played along to The Monkees "Headquarters" and The Kinks "Greatest Hits". Then I moved on to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and The Police.

As for protecting your hearing, I'm 53. My hearing's great, but these days I practise with a combination of in-ear headphones and headmuffs. Not only does it deaden the noise, it helps you focus.

And play! PLAY the drums, don't feel like you have to work them!

[​IMG]

northernguitar likes this.
  14. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I assume you are beginning on a drum kit. Get comfortable playing a simple beat over and over then add on that. When you are ready, try the beat to Creedence Clearwater Revival *Susie Q*. It will be like rubbing your head and patting your belly, difficult at first but soon you will catch on. Do that over and over until it becomes comfortable.

I find I concentrate on only one or two limbs when I am doing difficult patterns. The other limbs are kinda on automatic, that is where the repetition/practice comes in. There is a lot of *feel* inside of your core. (If you are not familiar with *centering your core* work on that as well.)

I will always remember playing a difficult pattern at a gig where I had consumed a few too many of the beverages the audience had sent my way. I started thinking of what all of my limbs were doing, and while was playing, I thought to myself "This is impossible... nobody can play this". I had to take my mind off of what I was doing to keep the pattern going.

There is something primal about playing the drums. I believe all of us have that primal instinct. Tapping into the instinct is the trick. You kinda have to let go of the refined crap we have learned and let the instinct take root. There is a lot of feel to it.

Flip G likes this.
  15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Why would you think drums are simple? Guitar and bass are easier. IMHO. Drums takes a lot more finesse and skill to sound good, stay in cadence and sound unmechanical. At least thats my take. I do play guitar and bass more.

I've played drums in church and a band in the 90s for a while but I can see where I suck compared to a really good drummer. I got a kit last year for cheap and am working on it. But yeah, it's hard.

Now the noise will make your head hurt too. I wear a set of ear muffs when practicing.

Also, we have two different drummers in our country band. Neither are "permanent" members but they are filling in when they can. One guy is like 70 years old and is super good and does not play overly loud most of the time. But like juuuuuust right. The other guy is a rock drummer and he beats the heck of the drums, way more than I think he needs to in some of the songs. Like we're playing Set em up Joe by Vern Gosdin and if it's in the second set, he's starting to really lay into them. It's like the as the night goes one he plays harder and harder and I come away a little PO'd cuz I have to sit next to him. Thankfully one gig we were super close and it was a small venue so he was using his cajone a bass drum and I can't even remember if he had a tom. But he still lays into the snare pretty hard.

Anyways.... . That's my drum stories for you. Keep at it. But it could take a while to sound really good. Or maybe not. I guess that just depends on you. LOL. I don't know if I'll ever be a "good" drummer but I can do some simple beats sometimes decently. Sometimes not. LOL. There are certain types of beats I find more natural. Like 6/8 beats I do well for some reason.

Flip G likes this.
  16. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Thanks for the responses. I am learning on an electronic kit. It helps keep everything sane. I work at a university and have access to a kit there and man is it LOUD!

I can do the simple 1/8 notes on the high hat, kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4 beat reasonably well. I can do some variations of it too (e.g. kick on 1, 3, 3& etc.).Fills are another matter. I can do one or two simple ones and get back in unscathed, but nothing beyond that.

The good drummers I have played with have a remarkable ability to keep the rest of the band in line. Any time my timing would drift on the guitar, the drummer would "THWACK" the one beat and get me back in the groove. I want to be that kind of drummer. The kind who listens.

Maybe I should try and be that kind of guitar player first...

BTW - Is the Susie Q beat the one where the kick is on all the off beats? If so, I can play that at low speed and gradually work up to tempo. If I try any kind of fill, I am dead and my right foot reverts to going on the beat.

FortyEight and Flip G like this.
  17. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Am drummer of 47 years. second nature.

Can play keys also.

Started guitar 1.5 years ago. the overlapping keyboards (aka fretboard) compounded by the b-string offset, pains my brain very much.

sick of all the youtube "fretboard secrets" videos. they drive me nuts. resigned myself to learn and tinker in ignorant bliss.

FortyEight and Flip G like this.
  18. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

The overlapping fretboard is a challenge on guitar. It opens up possibilities for how to play things but makes life more complicated - especially when sight reading.

FortyEight likes this.
  19. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Drums are cool. If I wasn’t so busy with work and guitar, I would definitely play my kit more.

FortyEight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.