Drummers holding sticks wrong way

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The oddest drummer to watch (for me anyway) was Keith Moon of The Who.

He had the oddest grip, really!!
    :)

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

So, now-w-w-w-w, it's STICKY, STICKY, STICKY versus PICKY, PICKY, PICKY? :lol:

3. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

Couldn't care less, as long as the groove is there
    Most of my faves play traditional

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    kuvash and rich815 like this.
  4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I studied drums in the 60s and played all though high school. I still mainly use traditional grip, but sometimes switch to matched, thanks to Ringo, who liberated us ;-)

kuvash, stratofortress and Teleka like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IIRC, back in the 60s Dave Clark held his sticks backward to put some power in his strike and tone.

rebelwoclue and Teleterr like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

And... he was a lefty who played righty.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

There are folks on this forum who agree with Buddy. I remember one guy here saying that Bonham had no groove.

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I wonder how many of the guitar players in this thread always play in position.

Buddy Rich could come across as an *******. I actually studied with a guy who played trumpet with him and this guy was maybe the biggest douche I ever met.

However, Buddy had some really valid opinions and he could back them up - something that usually can't be said for forum daddies. There is a great clip of him talking about how music is being so dumbed down in society that's really spot on.

9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

OMG that’s funny.

Teleterr likes this.
  10. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I started playing snare in the late 60's in the majorettes at the age of 9.Even then I realized not a bad gig walking behind a bunch of pretty girls.
    We were taught traditional and in Jr high school in band class, you played traditional or got snapped in the back of the head by the music teacher.
    By the middle 70's in high school band class the teacher could care less how you played,just so you showed up..

11. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

I don't even notice how my drummer holds his sticks- I'm more concerned with him getting the feel right, and landing his fills. He doesn't bother me about my hybrid picking, so it's a good relationship.

12. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I was happy when the drummer would show up on time... with his sticks. :eek:

nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

What bugs me most about drummers is when they hit the drums at the wrong time.

Also excessive cymbal noise, and noodling between songs so it's hard to comment on what's coming up, or what needed work in the last tune.

(I don't mean to imply that the talking is supposed to be coming from me, either.)

I think I've only played with one drummer who used traditional grip, and it was probably 25 years ago.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Sticks ? You don t need sticks !

15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I saw a clinic with the great Thomas Lang, where he talked grips ... Turn out that when called on to play loud music he will just grab the sticks tight like you would hold a steering wheel because it's a very secure grip ... no fancy finger movements just 100% wrist

Off course proceded to play at insane stuff with that grip as well

16. DTBlues

DTBlues Tele-Meister

Buddy Rich was a dink..lol

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

lol, coulda been used in the Python "No, this is abuse" sketch Yeah, you could tell in his talk show appearences.

Notice in my youtube post that Buddy style is designed for fast playing that impresses. Buddys solo is using a style mandating fast playing to try and make music, while Gene is just, well, making music. And Sammy, GO Sammy.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There are PROPER ways of holding the sticks in BOTH styles: traditional AND matched (German and or French grip etc.)
    A GREAT drummer should be able to use BOTH cause they SOUND and FEEL different.
    This way his "pallet" of sound and feel will be richer.
    Study one of the greatest drummers in the world STEVE JORDAN in order to understand that BOTH styles are great when implemented correctly.
    Btw anyone judging a drummer because he uses only the traditional or only the matched grip simply doesn't know a thing about drumming.
    There are amazing players out there that only use matched and some are lucky to be ambidextrous so they can lead on their hi hat with their LEFT hand having the right hand free to do amazing things since it is not "locked'' under the right hand (Simon Philips and Ilan Rubin are two MONSTER drummers that do it and of course play only matched)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    gitold, wulfenganck, MickM and 3 others like this.
  19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I use either matched or traditional grip depending on the song. When I played with our HS big band, it was all traditional or I got the stink eye from the band director lol. When I played timpani, traditional grip is matched grip. The whole reason for traditional grip was for shoulder sling mounted marching snare.

Buddy Rich was one of the greatest drummers that ever lived, and had the ego and attitude to match. I've always liked Gene Krupa better, and Louie Bellson was amazing too. The first time I saw some old TV interviews with Buddy my attitude toward him changed, he came across as a total jerk. A huge contrast to Joe Morello and Les DeMerle, who were happy to answer my dumb questions when I was a teenager going to drum clinics.

MickM and nojazzhere like this.
  20. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Visions of Bill Kreutzmann playing with dead and company popped into my head when I read the op. It looked like his left hand was injured or something.
    Buddy rich had a strong personality to say the least. But damn, he was amazing to watch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.