Drummer Pluggin Help Please

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by StuartJames, Jul 31, 2021.

1. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

Firstly, I’m inexperienced with drummer pluggins ( and home recording in general) I have no intention of diving to deep into it, just want something to lay down some practice loops and tracks and share the odd thing with friends.

I have asked advise here before and since upgraded to Studio One 5 and have used the Steven Slate Free Drums. These loops do sound great and I really like the format of drag and drop and the way it’s set out, but none of the loops are for me. I can’t find a relaxed drum beat in there anywhere. It’s probably focused more towards hard rock.

Any suggestions for another Drummer pluggin? I’m really just after simple drum loops that can be used for classic rock, rock, rock/blues and ballads. Ease of use is important

Ideally something free would be great, but don’t mind paying for something that’s easy to use and sounds good

I’ve seen Groove Monkee midi loops around and listened to some samples and they sound good. But I just can’t get my head around what they actually are? Are they simple drag and drop loops?

Any help much appreciated

tomasz likes this.
  2. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

I don't know what OS you are on, but I had my journey trying out different DAWs and drum plugins, but couldn't move away from OSX. Because of the drummer in Garage Bang/Logic. It guess, I just hate programming drums and with what I'm stuck on in OSX, I can get pretty much anything laid out quickly under 5 minutes, which allows me to focus on playing and songwriting.

StuartJames and Mjea80 like this.
  3. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

I don't know about studio one but in reaper I can drag and drop midi files on an instrument track. So there's a way to use any midi file and let it go through the drum machine.

Groove Monkey packs can be installed in SSD. I've got the 'Garage' pack and I followed the instructions to install them in SSD. They now show up in the grooves section of the plugin.

StuartJames likes this.
  4. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

Ah so I can use Groove Monkee loops through Steven Slate Drums? Then just drag on drop

5. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

I’m using Studio One with Windows

6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

EZDrummer is great, I’ve used it for close to a decade now.

My one complaint is that it doesn’t have a lot of hard rock/metal style loops in the main package (I don’t play much of that style anyway, just saying). So, if you’re looking for some straight up rock or blues/more conventional type loops, you’ll be very pleased.

7. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

If you're looking at just laying down some practice loops, then my suggestion is that drum programming is the wrong way to go. It's at least two more skills you'd have to pick up (programming and mixing), and is probably more expensive compared to the alternative.

A company like Loop Loft https://www.thelooploft.com/collections/drum-loops has more loops of every variety than you could possibly use, all of them expertly played and mixed. It would be a lot cheaper, faster, and higher quality than anything you could put together on your own.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    StuartJames likes this.
  8. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

Yup! I think you'll have to put the midi files in the appropriate folder of SSD an then it works.

9. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

So I managed to get some groove monkee midi loops going through SSD ( a reasonable task for a computer numpty like me). It’s super easy to use and sounds good. And I can add drummer packs as I go. Great solution. Thanks for the input everyone

Daddydex and Len058 like this.
  10. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

EZDrummer is very accurately named. You can click out a beat and it will algorithmically identify which loops are closest to what you entered. At least for me personally it has the right amount of presets and variability. I've found Superior Drummer to have a bit too much variability. I pretty much use EZDrummer as a plugin in Reaper for all my drum parts, using a combination of the built in loops and midi files I create myself. Like @naveed211 said, the built in loops are limited to incredibly common patterns, but the expansion packs are reasonable. It works great as a standalone program too if you do not want to play around with a DAW.

StuartJames likes this.
  11. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I use Addictive Drums 2 and the experience was the same in regard to the Groove Monkey grooves. They are actually organized better than Addictive Drums own grooves. Glad it worked out for you.

Dan

StuartJames likes this.
  12. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

I've been using the Groove Monkee stuff for well over 10 years. Used them for many TV/Film/Commercial work as well as for productions still these days. I use them with Slate as well, but I have most of their libraries. Probably use the Blackbird and the newer 5.5 deluxe kits the most. They are not quantized which is a good thing, so it can feel like a real drummer. They are actually played by drummers but triggered into MIDI. Once I'm happy with the arrangement, I stem out each individual track in their drum mixer to a track and at that point I treat it just like any other recorded kit. Thankfully the Slate libraries are not loaded with any processing like most others.

They are having a big no coupon needed sale, so listen to the samples on each page and find what works for your style. Could easily be their basic groove/songwriter sets. It's not hard to modify any of the midi once you've dragged it into your DAW, if you want to make it adhere more to your tune.

StuartJames likes this.
  13. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Yeah but they have more metal expansion packs than you could wave a drumstick at! lol

M

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

15. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

That’s good to hear. I have already purchased the Ballads pack, will probably get a couple more. Fortunately there demos seem really good which makes it easy to pick

16. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

And don't always let the pack name sway you... I've used stuff in a style that wasn't close to the style of the song I used it in. The only rule is there are no rules! Do what gets you close to the sound you hear in your head.

StuartJames likes this.
  17. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Holic

I used to play my own drum parts through a KAT DK-10, using first a Alesis D4 drum module and then Battery 4 soft synth.

I then got into Drumcore by Sonoma Wireworks back when it was still called submersible music. Drum loops in Audio and MIDI recorded by famous drummers.
    It works, but after switching to a new computer I haven't reinstalled it yet as it still has teething problems with macOS Big Sur. I have Slate Drums and they work fine for songwriting.

Almost all of these programs have free demo versions you can install to try, and it will come down to what you're comfortable with. I'd also look beyond MIDI and just look at audio loops - usually organized by bpm and you can find the tempo you're looking for and then just drag and drop.

18. Canadian_Fender

Canadian_Fender TDPRI Member

I like GetGood Drums and EZDrummer 2. Often times you can get these on sale. And both have assortments of midi packs you can purchase. Lots of great info on them and demos on YouTube.

19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

After years of using Acid drum loops, I switched over to Superior Drummer 3 in late 2017 after reading a review in Sound on Sound. In retrospect, I might have been fine with EZDrummer, which it's compatible with. Lots of great midi loops and great sounding kits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.