Drummer in need of finish help

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by yyzt4e13, Mar 29, 2020.

1. yyzt4e13

yyzt4e13 TDPRI Member

Hello all,
    I'm a drummer that has an couple issues with the finish of a recently purchased used kit. I was told this forum has a lot of people with the knowledge. I will attempt to post pics to help assess the issues. I have a shell that has a spider type of crack in the finish. I have heard there are thin types of glues that may be able to help out. So that's the first problem I have. The second is just some gouges in the shell, didn't make it through the clear but its dented, is there a way to fill it and finish it to make look better again? I'm not afraid to do the work, just need some guidance with this. Any and all information is appreciated.

IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1716.JPG

Thanks
    Mike

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I will let the finishing experts chime in, but I will ask how badly those issues bother you. They don't affect the quality or functionality of the instrument and are likely not visible to either you or the audience when playing. If it were me, I wouldn't touch it and just enjoy my new drums. If it really bothers you, go for it but realize that you unless you have some skill at finish repair, you may make things worse.

3. yyzt4e13

yyzt4e13 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. The integrity of the shells are in no way compromised. These are just beautiful shells and its kind of a special kit to me so I would like to clean them up as much as possible. I have no problem putting in the time to make them looking great. Just need a little guidance. I know people talk about StewMac's products but I was hoping someone could tell me which ones.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

yyzt, a couple of comments. Finish repairs are very difficult, even by the best. They are more difficult for the inexperienced and a nice drum kit is no place to start. Many amateur finish repairs look worse after than they did before. This can be exacerbated by all the modern finishes - nitro lacquer wasn't too hard to fix but the modern catalyzed stuff is out of reach for most diy'ers. I do lots of guitar repairs and promise that something I fix will be structurally sound, but may not, in fact, will not, look perfect.

The products that may work in your case are various viscosities of CA (super glue). Water thin glue (StewMac's #10, Gluboost Ultrathin) will largely wick into hairline cracks in finish and leaves very little on the surface. That stabilizes the cracked finish and fills the surface of the crack. You can scrape that with a box cutter blade made safe, sand with wet and dry paper up thru the grits to 1500 or 2000 and then buff. Most of the time the repair will be hard to see.

For filling divots it is usually a good idea to see if a little heat will pull them out - put a damp rag on the flaw and lightly touch a small soldering pencil to it. The divot itself can be "drop filled" with medium viscosity super glue (StewMac #20, Gluboost Fill n Finish). You'll build a small puddle of the CA in the divot, then scrape it back, sand and buff as with the crack,

I use both products interchangeably but Gluboost is really formulated for this kind of repairs (their real specialty is colored finishes). Both have good how to vids and instructions, I would suggest spending some time looking at the ones on the Gluboost site. I think you should be realistic and strive to stabilize the damage so the finish doesn't chip and not expect it to look perfect.

https://gluboost.com/products/

5. yyzt4e13

yyzt4e13 TDPRI Member

Freeman,
    Thank you for your detailed and knowledgeable response. I had seen some info by using google and someone pointed out this forum. I will definitely go check out those videos like you had mentioned. Im not looking for perfection but wanted to try and fix that crack first and foremost so it doesn't potentially spread.
    I will be putting these through the whole gamete of cleaning, compound, polish and sealant by the time Im done. As for the damp rag and soldering pen, I never heard of that one, may give that a try also. I appreciate it.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

The damp rag and soldering pen works good for raising dents in bare wood, it may or may not work on finished wood. Also be careful about what cleaning compounds you use - some of them can compromise finish repairs.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

7. yyzt4e13

yyzt4e13 TDPRI Member

will do and thanks again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.