Drum Set

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mozzarate54, Jun 25, 2014.

1. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

Hey people! Gonna start taking drum lessons pretty soon so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some sets I should consider buying. Don't know to much about drums so I looking for something that's not expensive $600 is probably my budget. Preferably I'm looking for an acoustic set that will be great for starting and will be fine for when I become more advance on drums.

2. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Times like these Craigs List is your friend. You're not going to find much quality drums and hardware new for $600.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I think a Gretch Catalina shell pack isn't much more then that, but that's without hardware and cymbols. Watch Craig's List, hit pawn shops, ask around, check your local music store.

I started with a yard sale Ludwig snare ($25), a 22" Sonor kick drum and a cymbal from a thrift store. My drummer built a kick from an Irish Bodhran, the high hat stand came from either a pawn shop or a thrift store. My drummer gave me some old hi hat cymbals. I had some Roto-Toms from years ago. It's a pieced together set, but for screwing around on or practice, it's great.

If you have to have a matched set, you might try another approach. If you have decent shells, you can always buy better heads. Do you have a drummer friend or instructor who can help you evaluate used sets?

Have fun and don't trash your wrists like I did.

4. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Yard sales. Craigslist. Thrift stores. Try and go as cheap as possible. $50 for an acclaim drumset would work perfectly. A crappy drumset can be made decent with good heads, that you can purchase once you get better, or just buy a better kit. If it comes with some cheap hardware, then that could come in handy. It's almost like buying a squier, swapping the pickups for Seymour duncans, or buying an AVRI strat instead.

However, you can't skimp on hardware or cymbals. A squier might have a decent neck with good pickups, but if your tuners can't stand up to your abuse, then that doesn't make for a good experience. Good sounding cymbals can be affordable, even when buying new. Sabian XS20 are some of my favorite cymbals, and they're the mid priced option. Paiste PST5 cymbals are good too. I'm piecing together a cymbal setup for my "practice kit" and using the PST5 and PST8 line as my cymbal choice. Try and avoid Zildjian ZBT, Sabian B8, Meinl HCS. and no name cymbals. There are decent sounding cymbals in those lines, but they are few and far in between. I wouldn't recommend shopping for used cymbals until you know what to look for.

This XS20 pack should work.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...-2-pack--14-hi-hats-and-18-crash-ride-cymbals

The PST5 pack even comes with a ride cymbal. I would recommend this if you get some cheap hardware with your pawnshop/yard sale/thrift store drumset, because you could use the cheap cymbal stand to hold the crash cymbal, or opt for another cymbal stand like the PDP listed below.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/paiste-pst-5-universal-cymbal-set-14-16-20

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pdp-p-d-800-boom-cymbal-stand

For hardware, the Sound Percussion Hardware pack is a great value. It's not the greatest hardware pack in the world but it's worth the $100. I'm using these on my practice kit. It's more than a step up from the cheap hardware that comes with most kits. If you want to match with the PDP stand mentioned above, you could purchase the 4 piece linked here too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/sound-percussion-5-piece-drum-hardware-pack

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pdp-medium-duty-hardware-pack?pfm=sp

5. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

At that price range (in the us) I'd go a yamaha kit. I forget what they call them but they are one of the better entry level kits as far as hardware goes. The shells are good too.

Our drummer uses sabian sx20 cymbals and they sound great for mid range.

6. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Craig's List is rife with drum sets. kids think they want to play drums, then give up quickly...parents (and neighbors) can't stand the noise...somebody upgraded or is strapped for cash. lots of reasons for selling and not nearly as many buyers for drums as there are for guitars. "OBO" is your friend.

7. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

The person giving you lessons should be able to help you assess what's available locally.

8. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Paul on the Gretsch kit. You can't go wrong with Gretsch.
    Mapex, Yamaha, Ludwig, DW, Tama or any known brand name. The super cheap kits really are crap and for the same price used, you are better off going for a used brand name that you can sell again without taking a loss.
    Start with just a snare, bass, high tom and low tom a ride cymbal and a hi hat.
    That's all your teacher will want you to play on anyway. If that.
    Hey I started by straddling the arm of a couch and using that for a snare with the drummer of the band living in the basement of my parent's home teaching me rudiments between sets.
    He talked my parents into buying me a snare for Christmas. I was so happy with that. A year later when he though I was ready, he sold me an old kit of his for $50. I didn't even know it was coming as we had moved away.
    I stripped the wrap off them and stained the plywood and they looked mighty fine. Then I put quality skins on them and they sounded fantastic.
    Good skins can really wake up a cheap kit. I've had 5 or 6 kits since.
    Work your way up gradually. Over time you will know what you like.
    I spent about 5 years in a great drum forum with great people that can help in every way. I stopped when I sold my kit due to circumstances beyond my control.
    I took lessons form 2 great drum teachers.
    One at the beginning in the late sixties and one about 10 years ago.
    Lessons and a good teacher are highly recommended but don't let it end there. Every step is a drum beat, every thought is a pattern.
    Learn drum notation. Learn your rudiments. Practice but always include some fun in it. Wear ear protection always.
    Go super cheap on your first kit. You may find that is it just as difficult as learning guitar and may abandon your quest. Used doesn't go down in value much.
    New drums do not hold their value and the price of a new kit drops to half or more the minute you walk out the door.
    Good skins can run you hundreds to do the whole kit.
    Learning drums is the same 10,000 rule as learning anything. It takes 10,000 hours in to really become proficient. It won't happen overnight I got my 10,000 hrs in on drums. I've got another 8,000 to go on guitar lol.
    These great folks will go out of their way to answer any question you have:
    Nate Brown is a top notch guy (Owner of the site) Check it out here:

http://www.onlinedrummer.com/

Wanna see some great drum vids? go here as well:

http://drummerworld.com/

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^bingo on the heads.

finding a complete kit is usually cheaper than buying it in pieces, although you'll probably get better stuff going piece by piece.

cheapo japanese stencil kits are your friends. royce, majestic, apollo, star, whitehall, etc etc. vintage 60's kits for 1/4 the cost and almost 3/4 the quality :D

go against the trends. little jazz kits were all the rage a few years ago... and all the hipsters are selling them off pretty cheap for bigger rock kits (which are cool again i guess). so you can snag up the little ones pretty cheap

good luck... drums are fun!

10. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Used drums are a hard sell, and can often be found for 50% or new or less. I have a couple of kits (Premier, Pearl, Slingerland, Ludwig) none were more than 300 for the shells. I would avoid paying a lot for a kit until you have been playing for a while and know exactly what you want. For example my Slingerland kit is a 22" bass and never got much use, so it's on loan to the local school for jazz band. I have a Pearl rhythm traveler that was cool, until I got a Ludwig Breakbeats, which is just as portable but configured like a regular kit. Things change, but both of those early purchases were under $100 so no worries. The drums should be the least of you worries, the snare is the heart of the kit, and you want decent cymbals, stands, a responsive pedal, and a comfy throne. Choose well and you can use that stuff for years with a variety of kits.

I would look for something like a Pearl Export, or Yamaha Rydeen both are older style (smaller drums are in now) and the shells can be had for @$100 spend the rest of your money on a set of decent stands, (boom and high hat--@ $ 150) a good kick pedal, (50 -75) and some decent plates avoid cheep brass cymbals at all costs, you want at least a major makers entry level bronze line, and no they don't all need to match, start out w/ a 18, or 20 " medium crash (you can ride it if you want) and a set of 14" hats probably cost you @200-250 but remember you are going to keep all this stuff. Lastly pop for a good snare, something like a Ludwig Acrolyte, will be useful down the road, and can be had for @ 75. and a serviceable throne say $50 or so With a bit of looking all this stuff can be had for much less; I routinely see nice stands at GC for $20 or so that just need new felts/feet and a clean up. My Acrolite was $35 off CL. With the money you save from being patient buy some decent heads, a few felts & such, and learn how to tune.

When you decided to look for good drums, learn to tell if something is out of round, and then search out "un cool" brands that are made well. My main kit is a UK made Premier 4 piece, the shells alone would probably run you $1K new.. $250 used at GC , and they always have under valued Premier stuff, another option is German made Sonor. Be aware that both of these companies have off shore stuff so make sure you are getting the real deal.

11. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

My son is a drummer and recently got a new Tama kit.
    Its the bass drum that sold it, it actually makes a 'sound' and even I could hear it.

Eddie.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.