Drum Players Who Raised The Bar. Your Favorites. Your Opinion.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Drummers get trashed quite a lot. "I can't find a decent drummer". "Drum machines at least stay on the beat". How many drummer jokes have you heard? I've come to think of drumming as being a heck of a lot harder than most other instrument players give it credit for. I struggled with keyboards just getting both arms / hands doing their own thing. Drummers are using all four appendages to create beats and the best among them seem to be able to divide their brain into four separate yet cognizant parts that each control one appendage while creating an overall beat that provides perfection for any song's requirements. While most drummers excel at one or more specific styles other drummers have shown the ability to master all styles. Suffice it to say excellent drummers are masters of their instrument and deserve a lot more respect than most drummers receive. I have my favorites and I'm sure you have yours. I'll make a list of my favorites in reverse order below. If they're style specific I'll note it. If they can do it all I'll just list them. I'm interested in your opinions. If you want to create your own list have at it. If you just want to name one or a few go right ahead. No rules. This thread is about giving drummers that deserve credit the credit they're due.

12). Neil Peart * Rock / Metal.
11). Ginger Baker * Jazz / Blues / Blues Rock.
10). Alex Van Halen * Hard Rock.
9). Gene Krupa * Big band.
8). Cozy Powell * Hard Rock / Metal.
7). Mike Portnoy * Rock / Metal.
6). Ringo Starr * Pop. I mean .... come on.
5). Keith Moon * Rock Like a caged maniac thinking of their own world.
4). Billy Cobham Billy does it all. Perfectly.
3). John Bonham * Rock. I don't think an explanation is necessary.
2). Buddy Rich * Jazz. No ones ever had faster hands or accuracy
1). Greg Bissonette Greg has mastered every style and can accurately play anything by anybody. His own creations can leave other drummers in the dust. Yet .... He's so darn humble he credits everyone except himself.

So those are mine. What might your's be?
I'm not a drummer but some of my favorites are in no particular order:
Charlie Watts
John Bonham
Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Cindy Blackman
Mitch Mitchell
Carl Palmer

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Mostly respect most of the drummers, because my rhythm & motoric skills suck, but.. in no particular order.

Mitch Mitchell
Ginger Baker
Charlie Watts
Levon Helm
Earl Palmer
Mick Fleetwood
Tommy Ramone
Sami Kuoppamäki

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
The late Peter de Freitas (Echo & The Bunnymen) blew me away when I saw him live, around the time this was filmed. IMHO, one of the greatest.

Last edited:

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
There are so many great drummers!
By heart I would mention Jeff Porcaro, Charlie Watts, Eric Carr, Clive Burr, and the great Canadians, Jerry Mercer and Robbie Bachman.
Here's some Robbie Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive:

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Drummers get trashed quite a lot. "I can't find a decent drummer". "Drum machines at least stay on the beat". How many drummer jokes have you heard? I've come to think of drumming as being a heck of a lot harder than most other instrument players give it credit for. I struggled with keyboards just getting both arms / hands doing their own thing. Drummers are using all four appendages to create beats and the best among them seem to be able to divide their brain into four separate yet cognizant parts that each control one appendage while creating an overall beat that provides perfection for any song's requirements. While most drummers excel at one or more specific styles other drummers have shown the ability to master all styles. Suffice it to say excellent drummers are masters of their instrument and deserve a lot more respect than most drummers receive. I have my favorites and I'm sure you have yours. I'll make a list of my favorites in reverse order below. If they're style specific I'll note it. If they can do it all I'll just list them. I'm interested in your opinions. If you want to create your own list have at it. If you just want to name one or a few go right ahead. No rules. This thread is about giving drummers that deserve credit the credit they're due.

12). Neil Peart * Rock / Metal.
11). Ginger Baker * Jazz / Blues / Blues Rock.
10). Alex Van Halen * Hard Rock.
9). Gene Krupa * Big band.
8). Cozy Powell * Hard Rock / Metal.
7). Mike Portnoy * Rock / Metal.
6). Ringo Starr * Pop. I mean .... come on.
5). Keith Moon * Rock Like a caged maniac thinking of their own world.
4). Billy Cobham Billy does it all. Perfectly.
3). John Bonham * Rock. I don't think an explanation is necessary.
2). Buddy Rich * Jazz. No ones ever had faster hands or accuracy
1). Greg Bissonette Greg has mastered every style and can accurately play anything by anybody. His own creations can leave other drummers in the dust. Yet .... He's so darn humble he credits everyone except himself.

So those are mine. What might your's be?
I posted this thing in another thread and I'll drop it here as well almost unchanged:

I present to you, the best drummer I ever saw live: Kenny Aronoff !!!

800px-Kenny_Aronoff.jpg

He's done a lot of things, but I saw him live, drumming for John Fogerty on the Blue Moon Swamp -tour.
Now, Fogerty's setlist was like 90% CCR -songs and his solo-stuff sounded pretty much like CCR anyway.
We all know that the drums to CCR songs can pretty much be played by anyone who can keep a solid 4/4 beat. It's not Prog.
And keep the beat he did... boy howdy! He played ambidextrously, switching sides all the time, twirling sticks whenever
possible and he looked so ridiculously happy like a kid on Christmas morning, like he was having the time of his life doing this.
Most of the songs had these extended rock -endings tacked on to them and in these he surprisingly blasted a double pedal(single bass drum, though). :lol: This is CCR material we're talking about here!
All this made even more of an impact on me since the drummer I was working with in
different projects including my own, launched into a whine-a-thon whenever straight 4/4 was called upon as it was "boring to play".
Everything had to be non-4/4 or if in 4/4; overplayed. Why yes, that guy is a huge Neil Peart fan... how did you guess? :rolleyes:
Anyway, Kenny Aronoff showed me that it is indeed possible to keep a rock solid 4/4 -beat while not looking like he's just
been assigned weekend homework! Also, one of the marks of a pro is not that everything goes as planned, but rather how
you recover when they don't. Well, Murphy's Law applies to Kenny Aronoff as well, and suddenly he lost grip on a drumstick which went flying in a high arc up toward the roof of stage left. I noticed this and thought "all righty, let's see
how long before he recovers" and I looked down from the still airborne drumstick to the drumkit and
there's Kenny Aronoff with a stick in each hand keeping the beat as if nothing happened
while the lost stick hadn't even landed yet! :cool:

That's the old part I copied... now for some honorable mentions in no particular order:

- Ian Mosley
- Phil Rudd
- Simon Wright
- Marco Minnemann
- Neil Peart
- Mike Portnoy
- Danny Carey

.. and of course; Animal!

animal-muppet.png

Not even kidding here! :cool:

Last edited:

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
I really haven't done cover music for over 30 years. So a drummer that fits in my band or group(s) is...

- One that can play musically with dynamics, who even owns a set of brushes.
- One who DOES NOT play with three drum sticks duct taped together, or baseball bat sized drum sticks
- One that DOESN'T have a Neil Peart-sized drum set (less is more)
- One that DOESN'T need to smash cymbals as a build, robbing every emotion and solo I ever take..
- One that doesn't have 25 cymbals... I hate cymbals...
- No need for a double bass drum kit ego trip, either. I don't play metal.
- Hopefully one that doesn't ONLY practice with his headphones, thus insisting the entire band plays EXACTLY LIKE THE CD -- I'm 60 and haven't done it EXACTLY LIKE THE CD (or LP) since I was about 16-17 years old. It's usually the drummer who also has the jam room... that's the worst... Not trying for a Tribute copy cover clone band... just wanting to have fun playing music with my original style...
- HE IS >> The drummer that owns 2 sets of drums... one is at the jam room for REHEARSALS one is at home to PRACTICE AND LEARN YOUR PART... So many drummers with only one kit leave their kit at the jam room, and that is where they mistakenly believe we ALL listen to the CD and learn our part... NOT... That's why we PRACTICE at home (you bass players do this, too... leaving your only rig at the jam room) and it's called a REHEARSAL... where you take what your PRACTICE at home to the group and REHEARSE. Typically the kind of folks who call it "band practice"... but it's a "band rehearsal"...

Not just a pet peeve, but a great dividing line between rank amatuers and professionals. If I go in and they (the singer, drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, etc) are learning their part at the rehearsal, I turn around and never go back. It'll take a band like that a year or more and sometimes never do get a paying gig. It's usually more worded "The Band Party"... where somebody brings a cooler of beer, and bag of pot, and is a way for the guys (or gals) to get away from their screaming hateful spouse and children with the excuse to be going to "band oractice" (which is what they are supposed to be doing at home)...

Drummers and bass players are usually the weak link.

I learned to do this...

Make up a song book with the lyrics and chords already printed out for 40-60 or more songs of the genre you want to play. The lyrics are there, so the singer just sings... the chords are already there, so if the guitars/bass/keys are even half-assed, they can fake the songs on the first rehearsal.

I also have all of the songs in MP3 format on a CD or thumb drive, so nobody says "we need the CD"...Then in 2 or 3 rehearsals, and some good contacts, the band is making money in a couple weeks (or less), not a couple years.

It also seems to come down to who ever owns the P.A. is the leader of the band and calls all the songs, regardlss of the rabbit hole of stupid music they seem to think people want to hear.

Mostly why I play solo these days, use a multiple loopers and studio recorded backing tracks (not MIDI glorps), and I don't have to split the income pie several different ways with clods that don't practice and say they "wish we were making money with our band"...
What's a CD?

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
Bobby Lloyd Hicks (NRBQ, The Skeletons, Dave Alvin, Scott Kempner)

Bobby Lloyd on lead vocals on this one.....

Last edited:

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Hmmm .... I have my favorites over the various eras and genres of music, but don't really know for any of them if they raised the bar themselves or if someone ahead of them already had their chops, feel and/or style. Never thought about this before, so, good question!