Drum Players Who Raised The Bar. Your Favorites. Your Opinion.

Derrick

TDPRI Member
Typically, people sight skill for these things, but I want to introduce raw but solid power as another category... Someone has already listed Dave Grohl, but I will also add Hayden Menzies of Metz:

scottbdr

TDPRI Member
Too many to list, but one who absolutely blew my mind live was Tain Watts when I saw him with Wynton Marsalis (long time ago). Talk about someone who could play four separate complex rhythms at once.

Technical prowess is not the only thing though - guys like Ringo and Charlie Watts are amazing as well. All drummers set any band up for success (or failure!)

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
•Danny Carey (TOOL, Volto!, Green Jello)
•Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy Chamberlain Complex, Zwan)
•Josh Freese (Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle)
•Terry Bozzio (Missing Persons)
OK Danny Carey absofukkinlutely

Bass Butcher

TDPRI Member
The Mad Drummer, Steve Moore.
His best live video to show his skills isn't on youtube, only available on this Drummerworld page.
I've chatted with him a few times and wouldn't hesitate to again. World class chops on a kit but also a fun, down to earth working musician who would be a pleasure to play with.

Bass Butcher

TDPRI Member
One of my favorite drummer stories, courtesy of one of my favorite 'mom and pop' music store proprietors, cut and pasted from a newspaper interview when he retired and closed his store.
"Buddy Rich - "He came in here and said, 'Put a new cover on this snare, I need it done today.' I told him it would take at least 24 hours. He said, 'Do you know who I am? I'm the greatest drummer in the world.' I shook his hand and said, 'Very pleased to meet you, Ray Bauduc.' Ray was also in town, playing The Grange with Jack Teagarden. He was standing on the other side of the shop at the time.""

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
There are a lot of drummers I can think of who are really good.

I really love Ian Paice from Deep Purple. You should check out his drum solos on Fireball, he really proved himself to be one of the greatest hard rock drummers of all time.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Keith Moon, Mark Brzezicki, Stewart Copeland, Brian Bennett, John Bonham, Tony Thompson...

I know nowt about drummers, except for I like these fellas.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
You know who was a real tasty drummer? Floyd Sneed of Three Dog Night. He was always coming up with these fantastic rhythms for their songs. A favorite was "Out in the Country." If you listen really carefully, you'll notice that Sneed reproduces that "chuckka-chukka" thing that Michael Allsup does on the acoustic guitar on the snare rim. That's a piece of work!

Bob

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Jaimoe & Butch Trucks ( Allman Brothers)
Bill Kreutzmann ( Grateful Dead)
Ginger Baker
Ringo
John Bonham
George Grantham ( Poco)
Don Brewer
Steve Gadd
Bernard Purdie
Art Blakey
Philly Joe Jones
Jimmy Cobb
Elvin Jones
Joe Morello

masey poos

TDPRI Member
Carl Palmer
Bill Lordan
Phil Ehart
Dale Bozzio
I think you mean Terry Bozio; while I'm here: Billy Cobham, Jon Hiseman, Michael Shrieve, Buddy Miles, Danny Seraphine, and every drummer who ever played with Frank Zappa.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
I really haven't done cover music for over 30 years. So a drummer that fits in my band or group(s) is...

- One that can play musically with dynamics, who even owns a set of brushes.
- One who DOES NOT play with three drum sticks duct taped together, or baseball bat sized drum sticks
- One that DOESN'T have a Neil Peart-sized drum set (less is more)
- One that DOESN'T need to smash cymbals as a build, robbing every emotion and solo I ever take..
- One that doesn't have 25 cymbals... I hate cymbals...
- No need for a double bass drum kit ego trip, either. I don't play metal.
- Hopefully one that doesn't ONLY practice with his headphones, thus insisting the entire band plays EXACTLY LIKE THE CD -- I'm 60 and haven't done it EXACTLY LIKE THE CD (or LP) since I was about 16-17 years old. It's usually the drummer who also has the jam room... that's the worst... Not trying for a Tribute copy cover clone band... just wanting to have fun playing music with my original style...
- HE IS >> The drummer that owns 2 sets of drums... one is at the jam room for REHEARSALS one is at home to PRACTICE AND LEARN YOUR PART... So many drummers with only one kit leave their kit at the jam room, and that is where they mistakenly believe we ALL listen to the CD and learn our part... NOT... That's why we PRACTICE at home (you bass players do this, too... leaving your only rig at the jam room) and it's called a REHEARSAL... where you take what your PRACTICE at home to the group and REHEARSE. Typically the kind of folks who call it "band practice"... but it's a "band rehearsal"...

Not just a pet peeve, but a great dividing line between rank amatuers and professionals. If I go in and they (the singer, drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, etc) are learning their part at the rehearsal, I turn around and never go back. It'll take a band like that a year or more and sometimes never do get a paying gig. It's usually more worded "The Band Party"... where somebody brings a cooler of beer, and bag of pot, and is a way for the guys (or gals) to get away from their screaming hateful spouse and children with the excuse to be going to "band oractice" (which is what they are supposed to be doing at home)...

Drummers and bass players are usually the weak link.

I learned to do this...

Make up a song book with the lyrics and chords already printed out for 40-60 or more songs of the genre you want to play. The lyrics are there, so the singer just sings... the chords are already there, so if the guitars/bass/keys are even half-assed, they can fake the songs on the first rehearsal.

I also have all of the songs in MP3 format on a CD or thumb drive, so nobody says "we need the CD"...Then in 2 or 3 rehearsals, and some good contacts, the band is making money in a couple weeks (or less), not a couple years.

It also seems to come down to who ever owns the P.A. is the leader of the band and calls all the songs, regardlss of the rabbit hole of stupid music they seem to think people want to hear.

Mostly why I play solo these days, use a multiple loopers and studio recorded backing tracks (not MIDI glorps), and I don't have to split the income pie several different ways with clods that don't practice and say they "wish we were making money with our band"...