Drum Machine?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by koolaide, Aug 2, 2021.

1. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

Hi all,
    Lately I've been feeling like my timing could use a tune up. I got a good metronome, but just can't seem to lock into that. Been thinking a drum machine would help. You know Kick on the 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4.
    What do you guys/gals recommend for a good drum machine (that won't break the bank?)

Peace,
    Jim

2. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Hi Jim. I have this one and I really like it. Many different beats to choose from, learning curve was easy, and a small foot print.

Jim_in_PA and Jim622 like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It’s probably not much help but I have an older Boss DR-770 Dr Rhythm.
    There’s an acoustic solo act here that uses a BeatBuddy (not sure which one) and it works

koolaide likes this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve been using easy drummer 2 or you can even find beats on youtube

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    nickmsmith, koolaide and naveed211 like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Metro-Drum app I have installed on my phone. It gives a metronome or a variety of drum beats. I have it on Android but I think it's also available for iPhone.

Other times, I just use my MIDI controller and software for virtual drums.

koolaide likes this.
  6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

If you practice near a computer, search YouTube for "drum loop" and you'll find scads of material.

7. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

From a Blackberry Smoke show that we were lucky enough to play support on a few years ago..

IMG_0372.JPG

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  8. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

I actually use one of these, works quite well...

02.08.2021_08.45.44_REC.png

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Also an EZDrummer user. It’s nice to have an actual realistic drum loop going. Makes it more musical versus just robotic practicing.

koolaide likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Plenty of stuff on the computer/iPad.

I used to have the Beat Buddy mini, I have a Boss RC-10r now and prefer it mostly because the built in patterns have fills every 4th measure. The full size Beat Buddy seems to have better abilities to create your own drum patterns and has a community. The Boss is supposed to be able to do that do but the software was pretty weak when I tried it.

Also singular sound (Beat Buddy) has an extremely controversial background if that’s something you care about.

All of the pedal drum machines make it hard to use heavy amp reverb/tremolo unless your amp has an effects loop after the reverb/tremolo. Not a problem if you just use reverb/tremolo pedals ahead of the drum machine.

I have an Orange with an effects loop and a Princeton. In general the drums sound a lot better through the Orange due to the loop. No big deal for practice though. If you have two amps the RC-10r can send the drums to a separate amp. Since the Beat Buddy pedals just do drums you can always send them somewhere else.

koolaide likes this.
  11. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Alesis SR-18 SR-16 is a classic (the 18 has more modern sounds and can use batteries) I like making my own patterns and songs. It also has many built in patterns and fills. works with any foot switch. It's more of an instrument

guitar_paul1, mkdaws32 and koolaide like this.
  12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

For a few dollars, you can get some fantastic drum machine apps on your iPhone or iPad. I like the Lumbeat apps (Rock Drum Machine, Soft Drummer, Brazilian Drum Machine, &c).

koolaide likes this.
  13. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

You can pick up an Alesis SR-16 Used for about $75.00 . Will need some type of amp/speakers to playback unless you use headphones. Great Drum Machine sounds and will definitely help with timing. I've been using one for 25 years at home when I practice by myself.
    Warning: Be on guard of becoming too mechanical with your playing and relying too much on the SR16 because it is an easy trap to fall into.

BTW : Many modern drummers rely on click tracks in their ear monitors when recording or playing on stage. Don't let a drummer shame you for using a drum machine.

https://drummingreview.com/click-tracks/

Buell, mkdaws32 and koolaide like this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unless that drum machine can alter where the beat lands, like a human drummer, it's just a glorified metronome with different voices.

koolaide and Harbinger77 like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Did the drum machine route and downloading drum tracks, then found EZDrummer2. Resolved all of my recording needs ever since.

But wait. Along came the Trio+ looper. It’ll instantly give you a variety of good classic drumbeats with a bunch of easy to learn options and you get it all with a bass line thrown in to your specific guitar riffs. The fun tool that quickly does what you need. I use it for songwriting. When I’m done, I take the Trio+ drums as just a concept for developing on EZDrummer2.

16. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Garage band if you have a newer Iphone.

ale.istotle and AAT65 like this.
  17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You can’t argue with the success of a piece of music tech that is still being sold new almost 30 years after it’s introduction . The SR-16 is a great standalone drum machine. I used it’s predecessors, the HR-16 for years in the 80s/90s.

koolaide and WalthamMoosical like this.
  18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Using a drum machine instead of a metronome is like playing with distortion instead of playing clean - it just hides mistakes. If you can't play with a metronome, then you need to fix that; IF you want to improve your timing.

koolaide, Pcs264 and miguelalmeida like this.
  19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I use the original trio in conjuction with my Jamman. Play aprogression into the trio to get a beat that works. Then play that progression with drums into the jamman and save….i have many songs saved for practice and it works great. I dont use the bass in the trio….turn it all the way down.

20. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

The problem with that is that when I'm playing with a Band I'm hearing DRUMS and not a metronome. Dance with the same girl.This is why I practice with drum sounds. [especially the snare].

A drum machine is much better than using nothing.

koolaide, Buell and dswo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.