1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drum machine and looper both into one powered speaker? Or what rig?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I have been playing thru a Roland Cube 20xl bass amp. It has a aux in for my drum machine SR-16 and it sounds pretty good but I wouldn't gig with it. What I have seen some young loop artist do is use a powered speaker for everything. The guitar and bass go through a modeling pedal board. They can add another speaker for larger venues. Bose and Yamaha make nice portable PAs for that application.

That is all I got.....This post has been very informative

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I would normally say go through the PA, or if it’s just one non guitar instrument, get a mackie powered PA speaker.

but for pretty cheap, you can find used Roland kc series. Most of them have at least two inputs, always one with a mic input. Some of them four ins and some extras. I bought the 60 watt/12 inch version for I think 125 at a pawn shop. Was great for synth for small venues. There’s a 15 out there for not much either. They don’t hold their value at all and as a result have become the de facto scumbag noise musician amp.

I would maybe do that and just have guitar stuff through an amp sim type pedal on one channel and drums into the rest.

otherwise an old faithful mackie with some sub mixes and just using the house’s system is the way to go.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. MervsMods

MervsMods TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, I have a rackmount 6 channel mixer going to a Carvin 150W power amp. The amp powers a couple of Cerwin Vega speakers. Purchased all used. It works for me. I have the Beat Buddy and Aeros looper. This setup works great and is plenty loud for bedroom/studio use. I agree with most of the guys here - A small PA would be idea and have the best sound.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The Roland KC is a keyboard amp?
    That might work, should be more full range for drums rather than guitar specific with less top and bottom end.
    Checking my local GC inventory it’s pretty sparse but some Behringer PA oriented powered speakers are in my price range.
    Just not sure if they are any good?

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure what the issue is, but there are things I don't know.
    For a duo we run guitar, looper, and two vocals into a $200 Alto Trouper powered speaker. The Trouper only has 2 mic inputs so have to use a little mixer.
    The Alto handles it quite well and has multiple speakers.
    I don't see why It would be any different for an acoustic amp though.

PhredE and telemnemonics like this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  7. telemnemonics

I want two dirty guitars and drums at feedback guitar volume.
    If I used a true distortion pedal or something like a character pedal with cab sim, I might be able to run all three like you say, into on PA type amp.

Instead I have no distorted guitar cab sim type pedal and use an ordinary guitar rig, but it can’t do two distorted guitars.
    So I want one amp for looper and drum machine, without spending $300 and getting 1000 watts.

Just asking what y’all use hoping to get suggestions for inexpensive solutions.
    Like $100.

8. telemnemonics

I did that basic search on google, guitar center and Sweetwater.
    Kustom has some but Behringer seems to have the best range of cheap products that have two channel mixing into 200-300w.

Just don’t know if they suck or are OK for a few years of decent sound.

PhredE likes this.
  9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Cheap powered speaker like an Alto. They usually have at least two inst. inputs w/volume control. Handle Bass frequencies, and will mount on a stand if you need that.

10. telemnemonics

Quick search I find $129 gets me an 8” woofer alto powered speaker with only one input and 150w. Or $169 for a 10” still same amp single input.

Behringer adds a second input and more power, but I don’t know what I’m losing there. Similar looking products, but nobody seems to be in favor of the Behringer as yet.

I do prefer to buy better quality but this is sort of a gear experiment and I’m not planning to do one man gigs.
    Musicians are way cooler I just don’t have any extra musicians around the house!
    Had to marry a durn painter, why not a nice singer songwriter?

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I run mt looper thru the fx loop on my amp and drums in this own amp. Both 12" speakers

12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have the 10" Alto, my organist friend has used it for gigs for 3 years several times a week. Like with any semi-pro audio, I'd get a three year insurance coverage through M.F. or Zounds, a place like that. (That plan saved me on a full P.A. system once, the mixer failed after a couple years.)

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Not sure if this really addresses your issue, but here is my process:

I use a Jamman Stereo looper that allows the drum track (via drum machine through a small stereo jack on the looper) and the first loop (for me a bass line) into a Bass amp. Drums sound great from a bass amp. The next loops automatically go into a clean guitar amp via the second channel of the stereo looper. To separate a guitar rhythm loop from a lead, I have an amp sim pedal to switch on depending on which one wants more dirt.

14. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

If you put the looper first in the chain, and the fuzz box after it, you can record multiple loops dirty or clean, without effecting the amp's output. You can do the same with the beat buddy as well.

I'm sure you know this, but this is what I do.

IMG_20201027_192905.jpg

Now you can run a loop with the rhythm section and beat buddy first, then run as many as you would like on top of that. The fuzz shouldn't affect the other loops.

Just an idea, although I do understand you are looking to add an amp to the situation.

15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Maybe just a studio monitor? Use a character pedal for any guitar parts through it?

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

most of us are probably primarily guitarists and if we own a keyboard or bass amp, it's probably not as robust as our guitar amps.

i know, from experience, that trying to make a smaller/lower wattage keyboard or bass amp keep up with your rowdier guitar amps for drum machine or backing track usage will almost always eventually destroy the speaker. i've gone through a bunch of amps doing this, which is why we finally bought a pa system.

fjblair and telemnemonics like this.
  17. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

we killed that amp using it as the drum machine amp.

loopfinding likes this.
  18. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding your situation and goals... But, I recently got a mixer and it alleviates so many issues for my studio set up, and potentially live.

You can run your amp into the mixer (by Di or miking), mixer out to looper and back in, drum machine into mixer. Then out to a speaker or two. (Or monitors, or headphones)

Then you have all the other 3000 issues solved before they even exist. I can record with usb or RCA out, add aux in backing tracks, run vocals, keys, etc. Add some reverb, delay.

With a load box and a mixer, my rig is super versatile for home and potentially live and studio.

19. telemnemonics

I'm not certain of my goals either.
    I'm not running a drum machine through a guitar amp for long, so I need a drum machine amp.
    I'm also not running a looped distorted guitar into the same 18w amp as the main or lead guitar, just doesn't work because i run my guitar amps as the sound, not as clean pedal platform amplifying a distortion pedal sound.

Mainly I;'m asking what everybody is running for signal chains, so much modern gear I'm not familiar with and some very cheap class D combo amps like for bass seem to make huge sound with low weight and small price tags.

What I'm getting here so far is that nobody seems to like Behringer PA or powered speakers, while quite a few suggest a PA oriented powered speaker (as opposed to a studio monitor).
    Alto seem to be a good lower end brand, and the prices seem above what I want to spend.
    Might have to go back to my plan to build a PA cab with 12" 150w Emi Tonker and a horn, just need to buy a crossover I can get for maybe $30.
    Then I need a small powered mixer.
    A powered mixer and crossover might come in near my budget.
    Or I find a deal on a good enough PA powered speaker.

20. telemnemonics

I'm thinking some of the less expensive 200w or so powered speaker mixer things are probably for coffee house singer/ guitar with soft jazzy brushes from a drum machine.
    I want more hard rock drums and loud distorted guitar.
    So yeah, could be some amp killing in my future if I'm not careful.

I'm just not familiar with what some of these products do though, in terms of handling drum machine output as opposed to a singer and an acoustic guitar.
    Something like this.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alto/TX210-10-2-Way-Powered-Loudspeaker.gc

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.