1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drum machine and looper both into one powered speaker? Or what rig?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Jan 10, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No really good forum to ask this in so went with the BDC.

I don't want a dirty rhythm guitar loop into my main guitar amp, and certainly don't want a drum machine with the main guitar.
    Not running a PA setup and not looking to run three amps.
    Also not sure about my dirty pedal pushing the amp sound; how it will play out into a PA type powered speaker. Maybe an acoustic combo amp that has a mic channel and a guitar channel?

Worse still, I don't want to spend much on this amp that I run looper and drum machine into.
    FWIW the "drum machine" is a Beat Buddy, the full size one.

I've considered running my dirt pedal for dirty rhythm loops into some sort of either tube dirt pedal set clean, like a BK Butler I have, or even into a SS clean boost or OD set clean, so I can keep the dirt pedal output up a bit without distorting the input of the clean PA oriented powered speaker or amp.

Anybody happy with a small powered speaker or amp for both drum and dirty rhythm loop amplification?

I started moving toward building a simple PA speaker with a single 12 and a horn, just need a crossover.
    And a power amp.
    Looked at powered speakers on GC etc and it's a confusing mess of products.

An older acoustic guitar amp might do it perfectly, but I don't really know them well and don't want to drop $150 on a door stop.

Any additional thoughts on creating dirty loops?
    My preference is to make the loopclean and distort it between looper and power amp, but in particular my muff pedals need to level set so low for unity gain that I prefer to let them breathe a little more and push the next stage. Shouldn't be a problem for me to absorb the dirty output with another clean pedal like a BB1/ KoT/ PoT set clean and managing the level sent to the amp.
    Or again, I have at least four tube pedals I could put in between if I get picky about the effect of muff into SS clean pedal.
    So all suggestions will be considered for middle of the chain processing.

But my main concern is finding one small cheap amp to run the looper and drum machine into.
    The range of $100 100w class D powered speaker products has got to include a solution to this modern problem?
    Or does everybody buy a PA of whatever size they require?

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Small 6 channel mixer?

3. telemnemonics

Like a powered mixer PA amp? Plus a PA speaker?
    Or a powered mixer PA with built in speaker?
    They come pretty cheap but have a lot of extra stuff to break at the bottom price range.
    I'd think a powered speaker would deliver a better amp and speaker for the money and I wouldn't need six mic preamps and all those xlr etc parts.

northernguitar likes this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’m just thinking the powered speaker with something simple like a Peavey PV6 or Mackie or Yamaha mini-board.

ce24 and telemnemonics like this.
  5. telemnemonics

I could certainly buy two separate products like a mixer and a powered speaker, but with the explosion of popularity of the looper and drum machine thing, it seems like there have to be some simpler single units that amplify two sources.

Maybe the TDPRI crowd isn't the biggest segment of users into that sort of thing?
    Or we are either home players who don't mind hooking up lots of separates, or if we gig such rigs we have a PA for looper, drums and vocals.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

I’ve got this exact same problem. Right now I just to use a cheap little amp for the drum machine to keep it separate. I’ve been playing around with running everything through the effects loop on my main amp and seeing what difference series/parallel effect looping does to the overall mix of sounds. No solutions yet, just commiserating.

Also, do you want the drum machine to feed into the looper? I’m using the TC electronics looper that can “listen” to the drum machine, and it’s pretty good at keeping everything in time.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

I did select two midi compatible tools and am waiting on more midi cables.
    Not planning as yet to run the drums into the looper but do plan to allow the beat buddy clock to sync the guitar loop, or however that works. The beat buddy has midi in and listen out, while the pigtronix infinity only has midi in.
    Odd midi connector on the BB though, had to buy a BB specific midi cable that splits into both in and out so the BB clock can direct the looper for sync, but the BB can also follow or be directed by the midi clock on a sequencer or other source.

Big learning curve ahead and I'm trying to keep it simple!

Could be something like a Boss Katana is the way to go since it has an input for I think running an MP3 player into, basically a line in that a drum machine out should work with.
    Then run the guitar loop into the Katana guitar input set clean with the muff for dirt etc etc.

AFAIK!

8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would go with a powered PA speaker, many have small mixers built in. My old Mackie 450 can handle multiple inputs. We recently bought a couple of the new JBL IRX monitors that have an 8" speaker, they really sound awesome and can handle the full range. You can probably find an older Behringer powered speaker for not much coin.

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Nelg and telemnemonics like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You only need the looper pedal... and your amp.

Peegoo, fjblair and telemnemonics like this.
  11. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

drum machines sound way better through a pa.

fjblair and telemnemonics like this.
  12. telemnemonics

If my guitar sound was more fully pedal based I could run the dirty loop into the second channel of the guitar amp, but I'm deeply hooked on the amp being pushed by the pedal for the lead sound.
    Worth considering but just too many things to change all at once, for ability to focus on the actual playing.

13. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

I run a Trio+ and a Solo XT looper into a Small Fender Champion 20 and My guitar into a G Dec 3 thirty. I use Fender amps only to avoid ground loop issues. The fender champion 20 cost me $100 new. I think they are $120 now.

archtop_fjk and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

I'd love to buy something like that, exactly that; but at more like $125 used.
    Also need a decent amount of clean headroom to get clean drums plus guitar loop and loud enough for the main guitar amp to be played at feedback volume.

No bedroom amps for me!

15. telemnemonics

TGP is down, where all those gear heads now?

Nobody does gear like TGP so c'mon guys help me out here!

16. telemnemonics

Here's two cheap powered speakers from Behringer.
    Oddly the bigger more powerful one with extra features is $119, while the smaller less powerful one with fewer features is $149.
    Does Behringer make different levels of product under the same brand?
    Why more money for less function?
    Anybody use either of these?

$119

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...0-watt-10-inch-powered-speaker-with-bluetooth

$149

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B208D--behringer-eurolive-b208d-200w-8-inch-powered-speaker

17. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Is a powered speaker going to be able give the volume needed? Not sure how loud you run your rig.

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

idk what to offer?

I use a boss RC10r and route it three ways:

audio monitors for drums

loop to amp B

noodle on amp A

19. telemnemonics

Hard to tell (but guitar feedback volume), the ones I linked are 200-300w and the one @Peegoo linked is 1000w.
    I'm uncomfortable with small speakers but bass players report getting huge sound from small speakers so it must be I'm just not used to the tech advances yet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    fjblair likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Then three amps?
    I agree one is not enough but hoping for two!
    Two guitar amps for the looper and the main guitar is fine but if I can make a more portable rig with one guitar amp for me and a powered speaker with two channel built in mixer for looper and drums that would be the ticket to ride.

Now more looking for products but still listening to any and all ideas, especially not from the really looper mad "professionals" (like @jvin24 dropped in youtubes of) whose methods look like Swahili to me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.