drum loops

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by popthree, Jan 4, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i have an old CD called tony brock rock drummer that someone gave me and i never really messed with it before. i was tinker with it last night and found it kind of interesting. it has a bunch of recorded patterns (of real drum kits) and you can play through them and find something that's in the ballpark of what you are after, then drag it over into the DAW and massage it. it's kind of hard to use actually but it is workable. with some patience and tweaking it's possible to end up with some not terrible sounding drum tracks, i think.

does anyone else mess with loops like this? can you recommend some good ones? this "rock" oriented thing i have has a lot of good sounding full on "ROCK" kits/beats but a lot of the time i'm looking for something a lot more mellow and quiet. thank you.

2. stratwilly

stratwilly Tele-Meister

I do not know witch DAW you are using. I use Cubase and LogicX and imho in the last few years the developers of "virtual drummers" did a great job.
    Maybe you are using LogicX then download and check out all the available drummer libraries ...

If you are looking for great sounding drums sounds and good loops I can recommend TOONTRACK ezDrummer.

Steve Ouimette and StrangerNY like this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

there are about a million places online you can find cool free loops. just google for free audio drum loops. also beta monkey, tom dooley drums, ebay - all sorts of guys selling loops, etc, etc. They've become dirt cheap because of ezdrummer. if you don't know, ezdrummer easily finds loops based on your tapping, lets you change how busy the drummer is, lets you change sounds, change from hh to ride etc. I used to mess with this type of stuff but have been doing midi for a long time and always write my own drum loops now. I do often still listen to other loops for inspiration. I'm guessing you and I are about the only ones! cheers

4. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

I use Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, a fantastic product that lets you build incredibly realistic drum tracks in no time using their library of midi drum loops. It come with a nice selection of loops and they have other midi libraries from very mellow to thrash.

Steve Ouimette likes this.
  5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I use RealTracks UltraPAK. It goes beyond drums and has recorded tracks for all the instruments in thousands of styles.

suthol likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm always looking out for stuff like this.
    cause, you know, drummers :rolleyes:

FenderGyrl likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've used Sony ACID Pro since it was a Sonic Foudry product, and they provided some great loops with each new version of the software.

Then two years ago I took the plunge and bought EZDrummer. I haven't used a loop since, except for maybe a reinforcing rhythm behind EZD. It takes a bit more programming, but you end up with exactly the drum parts you want. That makes the programming time worth it to me.

- D

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My BIL used to work for them (Sonic Foundry and then Sony). He got me ACID, it was fun to mess around with. I'm talking about like, some 20 years ago.

Not sure what happened to my copies, I kinda miss it sometimes

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm still using Pro 7. I tried Acid 8 and didn't like it at all, they went to a dark-colored interface and it was near impossible to see what I was doing.

I won a version of Pro 2 from Sonic Foundry by entering a remix contest for a Beck song. Took second place! Been using it ever since.

- D

blowtorch likes this.
  10. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

For a long time I would write my own drum and percussion patterns using a laborious combination of step input (one hit at a time) and step and repeat... It got the job done, but it was a bit tedious and just ended up sitting at the bottom of the track, thumping away. I wanted something more inspiring that I could bounce ideas off and make me go in different directions.
    I bought a couple of drum samples and loops disks at a music show, and promptly forgot about them for a year before I decided to install the sounds into Garage Band and realised it was exactly what I wanted! The sound quality is excellent. I can audition loops to see which fit my writing best or write stuff around sounds that I like - and of course it all automatically fits my tempos.
    I usually end up with a few percussion tracks; a combination of loops and manually built fills and diversions. Very flexible and I can even edit loops by chopping out bits I don't like, or adding elements in. Works for me...

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 the Toontracks stuff is top notch.

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Logic Pro is worth the price just for the AI drummer IMO. There are endless styles and variations to choose from, which becomes a problem in itself. If you want loops, there are tons of them included as standard in Logic.

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

Yeah, lots of folks love Logic Drummer, it's caught on fast. I still use EZDrummer; comes with a couple of kits and tons of patterns, plus it's handy to be able to buy specific MIDI libraries at a decent price for a wide range of musical genres. ...Groove Monkee has some cool libraries for even cheaper, as long as you have drum software installed to drive them.

14. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

I second that. EZ Drummer is great for just that, and they've got a million different groove and drum packs to choose from.

15. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

As a non drum playing hack guitarist/writer/recorder, EZD2 is one of the best things I have bought.

M

popthree likes this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had an Alesis SR -16 since the ... 80s? A long time. Then GarageBand, in which I made my own loops. But I write music first, then drums.

popthree likes this.
  17. popthree

I usually write the song then if I ever get industrious, I try to record it...thats how I got to messing with the drum loops.

18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I still have the Mick Fleetwood library they did as well as a Steve Ferone one (IIRC). Back in the day that was the way to go!

19. popthree

I have always been partial to his drum sound

20. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

Check out MT Power DrumKit 2. It is a free plugin with a bunch of grooves, not too many slow grooves but maybe with the right tempo and some adjusting it might work for you. I used it on my current track I am working on. It really made a difference in the feel of the song. Did i mention it was free???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.