Drri vs trri on quietest decent setting

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hermit crab, Jul 15, 2019.

1. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Can a trri go as quiet as a drri on its quietest decent sounding setting ( which for me is 2 or just below 2 ) and still sound full / alive ?

the thing is that level is already starting to get loud and I have tinnitus, so has anyone tried these two amps together to see how quiet they can go and still get a decent tone ?

I ask as I wanted a trri but have no way of trying one out as housebound so got a drri as was concerned the twin would be too loud even on quietest settings. I know the twin has BMT eq so just wondering if that helps ?

Ps not talking about sf mv amps ( couldn't maintain one ), or modifying stock amps.

Cheers

2. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

DRRI + equalizer.

There's not so much pro for a Twin nowadays.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I find most of the Fenders sound poor below 2.5-3. But a DR or Princeton sounds good there. A twin sounds a bit sterile there. Not sure about RI's though.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

$0.02 and all that (wait, Paris, so €0.02 and all that).

This is where digital modeling thrives. You can EQ and mod a DRRI or a PRRI setting on a Mustang series, turn the master low, and still get a good, full sound. Do they get "great sound" at that volume? Maybe not; but, in my opinion, at low volumes, the digital realm sounds better than tubes turned down.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

A Twin sounds good on "2", and isn't all that loud at that setting. The lower you go, the more you notice the EQ settings. If "2" is too loud, turn down the tone controls, balancing the EQ according to the acoustics of your room. I set mine with Bass on 4, Mid on 4 and Treble on 5 for quiet practice (those settings may be too bassy at higher volumes). Going to Bass:3, Mid:3 and Treble:4 sounds good, too.

6. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks for replies.

I prefer 2 x 12 cabs as even at very quiet levels they sound better for me. I use a GEQ and other pedals to get sound. Tried the digital modelling thing and wasn't keen but thanks.

has anyone compared quiet practice volumes of a drri to a trri please ? as I am wondering if twins EQ could get same level as drri without sounding too sterile. I do use an art tube mp to thicken and drive drri as it sounds more tube like than all my drive pedals ( including tech21 blonde and joyo American sound ). Keeping its output low it can make the drri sound very close to my .50 caliber boogie's clean channel on max gain which is a good thing.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer my Twin Reverbs over my Deluxe Reverb at real low volumes, the Princeton Reverb is nice down low too. I'm talking low volume where you ain't getting breakup out of even a Champ. Never cared for either Vibro Champ I had that low.
    But that's just me.

I should add that mine aren't reissues. The reissues have pretty efficient speakers and that can make a difference. Sometimes just a wee bit further to the right on the volume knob makes a difference. With my SFTR the Radio Shack Utahs in it are about one volume knob number higher than anything modern I've tried, at the same overall volume.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

@hermit crab is not asking which you prefer.

Instead, he or she is asking if a TR at its quietest decent setting is louder than a DR.

In my experience, the answer is usually “yes”.

And by the time either is sounding even remotely decent, it is at loud TV volumes at a minimum, if that helps.

hermit crab likes this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah I got that. And I'm my experience the answer is "no". The overall volume level of a DR needs to be higher than a TR to sound good.
    Or put more simply I never turn on my DR unless I'm going to play loud. Louder than I'd call usable at home.
    So really the question comes down to preference, and that's mine. :)

LuthRavin and hermit crab like this.
  10. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Now THAT's a bunch of malarkey.

11. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    It's frustrating not being able to just go to a shop and try them side by side and mess with the twins eq. The trri has two of the Same speakers as the drri so I will just keep the drri till a time in future when I might be able to try a twin because I like a full sound but those c12k's are very efficient on the lows.

Cheers

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've gigged my TRRi at 1-2 volume and it sounded great. Lots of bass and treble at low volume. My Drri needed to be on 3-4 volume, vibrato channel, to sound good.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

^ This. In my experience, an SFTR on 1 or 2 will fill a room with some beautiful tone without the neighbors even thinking about calling the cops. Pay attention to what @strat a various says about the tone controls.

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Aw, shucks. But, seriously, Tone controls are so easy to use, why don't more players learn how they impact the sound and volume? I think some amps get sold or modified for lack of EQ savvy.

Sean Mac, GuitLoop and archetype like this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My current favorite low volume amp is an 80 watt tweed Twin. Some of my favorite tones at low volume sin stores has been through Twin Reverbs (old and new reissues).

I had a DRRI for a couple of years... My biggest complaint that it was too loud for home use and not loud enough for an outdoor gig. I have since relied mostly on multiple 6l6 tones, day and night. The first one, my '63 Vibroverb Reissue, was the DRRI's replacement. I knew the second I turned it on, I had made the correct decision. Even though it had more overall punch, at lower levels, it just sounded sweeter. Same as the Twins I've tried.

hermit crab and BobbyZ like this.
  16. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

In my practice room my DRRI is on 3. Great tone and volume is not bad at all. Should also add that guit Vol is 7 to 8 or so.

Don't have a twin :(

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can't use knob setting numbers as guidelines for anything.e The numbers are meaningless and indicate totally different "projection levels" on different amps.

As far as the point at which an amp starts to "open up" and sound full and round at its lowest possible volume, that could be "2 on one amp and "5" on another! It also will change depending on the power tubes and how they are biased; the gain of the preamp tubes; the speakers installed; and the design/size of the output transformer.

FWIW I don't like Twin Reverbs for home use, especially if there are other people in the house or you live in an apartment. Even a Deluxe Reverb can be "too much amp" in home situations. They "work", but it's unusual that you can drive one hard enough just to reach the point of optimum headroom.

In many home situations something with the output of a Champ and a good 12" speaker is REALLY loud. TOO loud. It's all relative and honestly takes playing experience with amps that have different output levels and understanding room sizes, the effects of furniture, wall coverings, window covers, carpet etc. All that needs to be taken into account.

Good luck!

MilwMark likes this.
  18. hermit crab

hermit crab TDPRI Member

Hey thanks for all the extra replies. Much appreciated.
    I have a vintage 2 x 12 cab with metal capped speakers and it sounded amazing with Drri until input jack broke. I just love 2 x 12 bottom end balance and complexity better. 1 x 12 sound smaller and thinner.
    Will get around to trying or buying a twin eventually though. You can never have too many amps, well except when you cant fit them in the room !

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.