1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DRRI Normal channel... Crazy talk?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I got a new drri about a month ago.

Fell in love with it in the store. Around 3 to 4 on the dial, vibtrato channel.

I like the speaker, but am hopeful the slight harsh high end will subside once it breaks in. That's what I'm told will happen. (Jensen c12k)

I've been playing at home (duh) using mostly my load box with IRs - two notes captor x into mixer into monitors or cans. When I can I let the speaker breath a little on that medium attenuation. I like to do a dirty rhythm usually, rather than fully clean - that's what my acoustics are for!

I've been opting for the normal channel lately. It doesn't have the mush and fizz that the vibe channel has with dirt pedals. And I have plenty of reverb available on the captor x and on the mixer.

Anyone else like the normal channel?

Maybe I'll look into that bright cap mod once there's live playing possibilities.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Clip the bright cap and junk that C12K.

AlbertaGriff and Axegrinder77 like this.
  3. Axegrinder77

What don't you like about the Jensen?

I've heard demos of it sounding great.. but I won't know until it's broken in and I can open it up a bit.

What speaker do you suggest? I think I'm over my greenback phase... Want something smooth and chimey, but not too bright. I'll def give the c12k a fair chance, but won't hesitate to swap if needed.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I definitely think the bright cap is a big part of what you're hearing. Try going back into the Vib channel, between 3-4 volume, treble at 4 (for single coils) and bass all the way up to 10...

But I disconnected the bright cap in my old DR.

Also for speakers, common suggestions for a Deluxe Reverb are Eminence Alessandro GA-SC64 and WGS G12C.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I put reverb and tremolo in the normal channel. The channels are also in phase and I use both at once. All my pedals work fine. A Fender amp without reverb (normal channel) is not what I want.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

I figure I might eventually take it to a tech to have the biasing done. Maybe I'll get a switch put in for that cap at the same time. No rush lol. I do have faith in that Jensen, but what the heck do I know?

7. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I read somewhere that Jonny Lang uses the normal channel exclusively.

8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

The short time I had one, I only used the normal channel.

9. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I do like the tone of the normal channel, but I like the reverb more. I actually pulled V1, so the I can't use the normal channel presently, but it gives the Vibrato channel a little more volume and early breakup. I also replaced V2 with a new Mullard 12ax7 and all the hiss is gone now too. I'm not getting any harshness or fizz, but it could just be because the speaker is well broken in.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I like the normal channel on older Fender amps a lot. Thicker, smoother. You may end up liking the C12K allright, but an Emi GA SC64 is the bees knees in that amp!

Durtdog likes this.
  11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I had an Emi GA SC64 in my Drri and I agree, it’s a good speaker for that amp.

However, I changed to the Emi Cannabis Rex and I prefer it. It seems fuller and rounder, and gives the classic Fender tone I’ve always liked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.