1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DRRI manufacture date

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Durtdog, May 12, 2020.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Not that I care about the "vintageness" of my amp, but I have stumbled upon a curiosity...

I have read that Fender first released the Deluxe Reverb Reissue in 1993. However, every website I have found for dating Fender amps (including Fender's own site) indicates my DRRI was manufactured in March, 1990.

I'm sure I must be misunderstanding something here.

Anyone know?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

How are you dating the amp...what codes? There should be a two letter code on a small silver/black tag that is a date code...first letter is the year, second letter is the month....just as found in .fender amps from circa 1951 through Mach, 1967. This system was introduced in 1990. AA would be January, 1990. DA would be Jan, 1993. DL would be Dec, 1993. other than that, one can roughly date an ap by taking note of the EIA codes on speakers, transformers, pots, and electrolytic caps.
    Picture and codes would help us to help you.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. Durtdog

I dated it from the serial number on back of the amp, pictured below.
    IMG_2122.jpg

4. Wally

No, that is a serial number and has nothing to do with dating, ime. The small silver/black label I mentioned will be inside the cab...on a side wall usually. Can you get some pics of the transformers...the numbers there. The EIA code will start with 606 followed by some digits. Those digits that follow the manufacturer’s code—-606— will contain a date...year and week of the year.

Fwiw, from 1976 through the 1980s that serial number would give a year code that consisted of the Letter and the first digit. The letter would indicate the decade....A for 1976 through 1979 and F for 1980 through 1989. The first of the following six digits is the year. A6xxxxx = 1796,
    F0xxxxxx = 1980.
    These 14 years are the only time that the Fender serial number contained a date code.

5. Durtdog

Thanks Wally. I knew it was some kind of operator error. Haven't seen the code inside, but I'll look next time.

6. Wally

Durtdog, I am old school. It takes about one minute to read speaker and tranny codes. Not only does this give one a really good idea of the date of manufacture but it also can disclose non-originality. That non-originality is important in the vintage amps world, ime.

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Try pulling the reverb tank. There should be a QC sticker on the cabinet underneath the tank with a handwritten date.

8. Wally

if you go to the trouble of pulling the reverb tank, check the inductors. If they are loose in their mounts, use some cryogenic glue to solidify them. The reverb will improve greatly, ime.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  9. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The date of manufacture should be found on the "Tube Chart" located in the cabinet one one of the side panels.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.