1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DRRi hiss help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by htloren, Jan 21, 2021.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi,

My ‘65 Deluxe Reverb has hiss. I can only say that even without any guitar plugged in and the volumes of both channels are at zero there is hiss. Increasing the volume doesn’t increase the hiss. it’s not loud but loud enough in a quiet room to be annoying. Quiet I mean, small room, no airconditioning or electric fan turned on.

I have researched online on this. All I have seen are as channel volume increases, overall hiss increases. My situation is a little bit different. As channel volume increases, hiss remains at the original hiss volume. I plan to start cleaning the tubes one by one to see if I may get lucky but any info on this would be much appreciated! Will start with the preamps. Will also try to remove the tube of the channel I am not using and leave that out and check to see if the hiss is gone.

Normally, if a preamp tube is hissy, as channel volume increased, does hiss increase too?

Thanks.

Loren

2. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi guys!

Just an update, my bad.

Nothing wrong with my amp. I just have it set up weird.

Normal Channel: dry. Vibrator Channel wet (reverb set to 10). The reverb set at max is causing the hiss. It has a GT tube in there. A real old one. Will try replacing it and see what happens, if the hiss is still there, then it’s ok.

No amp problem after all :)

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Wow! With reverb at 10, yeah, it's gonna be crazy. You shouldn't need it on anything above 3-4 unless you're really surfing.

4. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

For anyone wanting to beef up the DRRI & '68 CDR and eliminate a lot of the racket in these amps this is a great video to study.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.