DRRI dead, do I put it in trash and buy a Tone Master?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BorderRadio, Sep 11, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Seriously though, I switched it on the other day and nothing. Checked the fuse, seems ok. The lamp doesn't come on, and yes the bulb is ok. I know that's hardly enough info, but busy week, but I can get it on 'the bench' this weekend. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting next?

It's a 2013, I didn't mod it, planned to ride it hard in the warranty phase but of course, I'm out of warranty now.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I did not have the same amp, but a similiar issue. Apparently the plug in the back of the amp almost had pulled out (it was one of those computer type plug units) and it was not making contact.
    I checked the wall, the fuse, the signal path, the fuse again, the wall again, and even opened it up and put a voltmeter on it and found no voltage. Then I bumped the cord and saw a spark... Ah it was not plugged all the way in, it was just barely in the housing.

IMadeYouReadThis and unixfish like this.
  3. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Check the power cord. I had a laptop power supply that mysteriously stopped working and purchased a new supply, only to find out that the cord was bad and the rest of the unit was working.

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Yes, throw it out. Solid State amps NEVER break.

dog looking.gif

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Seems like you’ve got to start by taking voltage measurements from before and after the PT. Once you have verified that voltage is getting through the PT right, then you might want to start by checking the heater circuit. Is the pilot bulb in line with the heaters like it is on the BF/SF models?

Just checked the schematic - pilot is in line with the heaters.

Wally likes this.
  6. Drew617

Drew617 TDPRI Member

I don't know your comfort level working on these but I'd say if you know you can do it safely, certainly worth safely discharging caps and at least checking continuity from the cord to fuse/switch and PT, and output from the PT.

Maybe "put it in trash" is hyperbole but if your patience or budget for dealing with it ends there, I'd think the cab-chassis-transformers should be valuable to someone else either as a repair or rebuild project. :)

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Are the tubes lighting up?
    Bad jack?
    Take that puppy and put an eyelet board in it. Not that hard and now you have a hand wired amp. I did one years ago. Iused the existing smooth pots etc.

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If it were mine, I would first check the plug (does the DRRI have a PC style cord?) and the outlet. Often the most obvious gets me. I've had outlets get "crusty" behind the entertainment center - un-plug and re-plug them about 5 times and voila.

Beyond that would take a circuit tester or a tech.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fix it and buy a TM. Then let us know how you like it.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks guys, bad joke to a real problem, though I do want to try a Tone Master :) I'm fairly comfortable but very much a newb to working on tube amps. The most I've done is re-cap a few amps (on PCBs). I have a DMM, that's about it.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Make sure you’re getting 120 VAC from black to ground and between the PT primaries. If not, you have a problem between the PT and the wall voltage. Fuse and any other wired or socketed connections should be checked.

If you’re getting 120 in those spots and still having a problem, make sure you’re getting 6.3 VAC on the heaters. Since the light is out, I’m guessing your issue is before the PT or in the heater circuit.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Not getting power = open connection = easy fix

13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Fuses can look good and not be good. Especially the ones with the wound wire on the outside. Do a continuity check on it.

14. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

No power is always a quick check - it's easy something cheap and easy, or something expensive an easy.

If you're comfortable doing so, watch the AC component come in. Right at the plug, across the fuse, into the PT. Make sure all that is present. Then, check the AC on the secondary of the PT - you can check the heater lines and the high voltage lines for AC, although you'll need to pull the rectifier to check the AC.

Go from there. One of those points will be missing some AC, and that will tell you where the problem is.

theprofessor and ce24 like this.
  15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Do these Re-Issues have a Tube Rectifier?
    If they do - it’s the rectifier.

ce24, tombm3 and BorderRadio like this.
  16. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, what ce24 said

17. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

@stantheman - the rectifier would not be involved in the pilot light or tube heater circuit, so it should still give the appearance of "turning on" even if it produces no sound.

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy the Tone Master, and stash the DRRI somewhere and eventually you'll get around to fixing it ...

Problem solved !!!

19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, if you have your heart set on the Tone Master, by all means trash your DRRI by sending it to me and get the Tone Master....

rangercaster likes this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

You could do much worse than a Tone Master. (But I’d trash what you have and get a Tone King instead)

Maguchi, OldPup, etype and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.