1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DRRI Consolation Buy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PluckNCluck, Mar 14, 2021.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you've got a lot of Peaveys on your radar. But I'll add one more. The Studio Pro 50 sounds a lot like my old Peavey Bandit 65, but it's only 20 pounds!
    Great for low volumes.
    Picked it up for $130 a couple months ago.

882E60AE-BE7B-4A75-B7DB-72290414B247.jpeg

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  2. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

I would love to but I can't justify spending that much. If I was playing out or looking to so in the future then I would talk myself into I'm sure, no problem.

I actually have a weber attenuator that I use with my other amps so the wattage isn't the biggest issue for me and I knew it was going to have to be dealt with unless we are talking about a solid state amp. The right price + approximate tone is really the focus, but a combo with a 1x12 or 1x10 with and/or a less efficient speaker than the DRRI helps with the quieter part of the quest somewhat.

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I would put my support behind a Super Champ or VHT 12/20. Princetons are great but are priced right there with the DRRI.

PluckNCluck likes this.
  4. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

It certainly looks that way. I've always been a fan of Peavey so that's alright by me. I know my Dad has used a Session 400 on his pedal steel for the last 30 or so years and it's been running without issue that entire time. I also have a 6505+ as well as Firebass head and a Combo 300 that I converted to a head.

I have to say I'm most intrigued by the VHT recommendation though. I'm not really familiar with anything from them other than their high gain stuff.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok. Here is my suggestion. The "Twin is always better" and "Amps/guitars have volume knobs" crowd won't like it. But it's hard won. I play in bands. In different volumes/genres. And at home.

I have NEVER found a live amp, or amp intended to be used live or even in a studio live, that worked well for home. Never. But I can't practice at 80+ dB at home. Neither my ears nor my family will allow it.

I would suggest the following:

1. Download a smartphone db meter. Meter the TV or radio at your average "practice" volume and your "max" practice volume. Now you have your baseline.

2. It is hard to say how accurate the phone meters are. But I'd guess your average practice volume is maybe 65-69 dB and max maybe up to 75-78 dB? 75 is vacuum cleaner.

3. Most "live" amp speakers are at least. AT LEAST 93 dB sensitive. That means when fed 1w of power they produce 93 dB of sound at 1m. That is motorcycle level.

4. So just get a modeler already. Preferably something small, with a very small (like 3-5") inefficient speaker or two. All the usual suspects. I love the Roland MicroCube. Love it. But I like an edge/overdriven Marshallesque sound. Even with that setup, I have to keep the master on like 2.1 to get a full sound but if I get to 2.3 it's consistently over 78 dB. Seriously. Some people prefer the Spark or the Yahama THR which have 2 speakers and maybe deeper bass response. I find the Cube clearer. I think @DHart does something nifty where he uses maybe a THR but goes to bigger studio speakers? Which allows for wider soundscape and bigger bass maybe - important because he plays clean. I could also be making this up.

5. I tried a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. On the .2 w setting with the amp set to 6 volume, it was producing something like 80 dB on my meter. Not joking. That's with my guitar volume rolled back to 6 or so.

I think the majority of folks who say they use "live" amps at home just have no idea how loud they actually are.

YMMV

scelestus and dswo like this.
  6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have that problem with the red stripe Bandit. Zero to 2 gets loud. 3-4, oh yeah but too loud here. Those silver and red stripe Studio Pro's hit that low volume spot compromise. Good luck to the OP.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

There are 2 x 6V6 amps like the Super Champ SE or XD that will get you pretty well there. They can be had for $250 and up. Beware they dont have issues before you buy a used one. Speaker upgrade a plus.

Peavey Classic 30, Delta Blues, Fender Blues Jr. All these are EL84 based though. So not DR sound entirely. But pretty good.

You may find a Deluxe Reverb ll out there with 2 x 6V6.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It ain't all about Db. It's about tone at a certain level. (of course)
    A Twin will sound much more sterile (good or bad) with the volume on 3 than a Princeton with the volume on 3.

PluckNCluck likes this.
  9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I have a TMDR and I don't think it's that loud on .2 watts (I could play it on 6 with a sleeping kiddo down the hall and the room doors shut), but I 100% agree with the rest.

Maybe a Katana Mini?

smoothrecluse likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

In my 55 years of playing gigs and at home, it never, ever, occurred to me that I should worry about gig tone at home. At home I concentrate on learning songs and licks. A lot of the time I don't plug my guitar in, just play in a quiet room. When I had only a Twin Reverb, it worked dandy for a home amp.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  11. MilwMark

I’m not sure what that has to do with my post?

12. MilwMark

And a PR on 3 will be pushing at least 90 dB IME.

Too loud for many home situations.

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have both a '65 PRRI SE (12") and a DRRI. They are great sounding amps (I love blackface tube cleans), but if I was going country I think I'd go for a Tonemaster Twin. It's got the tone and headroom in spades with scaleable wattage for home. Everybody seems to love them and they weigh less than my Princeton! Of course they are more $$ than you're looking to spend.

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I got the idea that you were concerned about "tone at home" or getting a level of OD similar to what you want at a gig. I am have no concern with chasing "tone at home". It has never occurred to me that I should spend any time trying to duplicate my gigging tone at home at a lower volume, and spending time and money to do so.

15. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You're correct, Mark... sometimes I go from the THR10 out to a pair of powered 8" studio monitors. So I have all the tone and Special EFX from the THR10, but the full, deep, rich, stereo reproduction (even at very low volumes) made possible by high-fidelity studio monitors. I enjoy that very much. With hi-fi reproduction, there is no need to crank the volume up to get great (and deep) tone, as you usually have to do with guitar amps. I also play the THR10 just on its own - which I love for clean tones, with some reverb/delay and some compression.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

But I'm not gigging. I'm playing at home, and only at home, but I would still like it to sound better than what I've got going on right now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    alnico357 and MilwMark like this.
  17. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

That's where I'm at right now with a Line 6 POD XT Pro going into my Adam A7 studio monitors and it's not cutting it for me unfortunately. When I switched over to learning/playing country I had high hopes for it being that it worked well enough for some of the things I've done in the past. Just not for this application.

I think folks sometimes misinterpret home use for whisper quiet/if I fart I want to be able to hear it over the guitar still. Purhaps for some folks that IS what they are looking for. For me, I think you assessment for TV volume is more accurate. I might even say "movie night" volume.

18. MilwMark

Are you a Dwight Yokum fan? Pete Anderson switched to the old kidney bean Pod very early on. Might want to look into how he set it? There might even be a “Pete Anderson” “model” to download. He gets pretty darn good country tone.

PluckNCluck likes this.
  19. MilwMark

Well, a MicroCube costs $160. Different approaches I guess.
    For me practicing electric unplugged or with an live amp barely cracked open just creates and reinforces bad habits. Live, the amp is an instrument. With a decent modeler I can get a close dynamic experience at acceptable volume.

alnico357 likes this.
  20. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

I do like some of Dwight's stuff but as a casual listener in the past I can't say that the tones ever stood out too me. I'll have to relisten to some of those tracks again.

Just the same, it's something worth looking into. I appreciate it very much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.