1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DRRI - adding some grit

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So I spent a good part of 2020 getting all my dirt sorted out for my rig and style - both of which have changed a bit. Ugh.

I had a modded 68 custom Princeton and was more focused on lead guitar playing.

Now I've shifted back to what I'm more comfortable with and enjoy more - rhythm playing (to accompany my vocals and songwriting).

I've also changed amps to a 65 DRRI. Just love the sound. But it's a pretty different animal.

I feel like I'm starting over with dirt, as all my trial and error was tailored to the prior amp.

The 65 deluxe definitely has a more scooped EQ, and seems a bit more fussy with pedals. I might do the bright cap mod later, but hoping to keep the speaker which sounds pretty nice to me.

I've got a gain changer and bd2w on order. I currently have a zvex distortron, which seems to work and is a terrific pedal. When I feel a bit crazy I have an eqd hoof which is pretty great, but a bit much for my usual needs.

I also have a brake light attenuator which should help get some natural drri breakup in a live situation I would think.

Really just want to crunch it up a bit. Looking for warm yet clear.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

BD2 shd do it:) Works nice on my Princeton and I have tried a lot of boutique expensive pedals.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I put a Brake Lite on mine, and I think that the amp sounds fantastic on about 7-8. There's nothing like the warmth of a Fender tube combo in overdrive.

Cali Dude and Axegrinder77 like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The Barber GC is one I have for use with my Deluxe. I just use it for a bit of Transparent boost. My favorite is an Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer. It's not your usual TubeScreamer though. With it on "Turbo" mode it adds big bottom end like a Marshall stack. I run it with Gain near zero and volume to suit. The tone knob works well on these too.
    Both are great for rifs and comping with a Deluxe.
    What speaker is in your Deluxe?

To me though, Deluxe's are super easy for grit or OD's though, because they are a bit scooped mids and most OD's add a lot of mids.

5. Axegrinder77

Which gain changer do you use? I had an original one and sold it, which I soon after realized was a mistake. I now have the SR on the way. Hope it still has the magic.

The speaker is the regular stock Jensen c12k. It's a bit harsh sometimes in the highs, but they say this goes away once it breaks in. I've heard demos on yootoob where it sounds quite dark, but with a lot of character. So I'm willing to give it a good chance.

6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

When I switched from my Vox AC15 to a 65 DRRI I was worked I'd have to rework my pedal board, but I was pleasantly surprised by my three gain pedals. They all needed some tweaking, but the MXR Timmy sounds great with the dipswitch to the left (asymmetrical clipping I think) and gives a nice transparent overdrive. My Fuzz (Danelectro 3699) sounds less fizzy than it did with the Vox. And while the Rat sounds different with the DR, it's not a bad sound.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

BK Butler Real Tube 901. Non-starved plate tube preamp.

Axegrinder77 and northernguitar like this.
  8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

With the two pedals you have ordered, you should have no problem dialing in your dirt (I have a DRRI) You'll definitely want the attenuator if you're going to try the natural amp break up. A Deluxe on 6 can definitely damage your hearing. I have an Allesandro SC-64 in mine and can't get it past 3. I use a transparent OD which I think is mostly just pushing the preamp, it's nice.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  9. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

If you get something like the Barber Launch Pad (a clean boost that can make some amps produce unclean sounds), you can plug into both channels; it has two phase-reversed outputs. Each has "Sensitivity" and Volume controls; if you crank both on the output to the Normal channel, you can have a reverb-less overdriven sound, complete with tone controls, to mix in with a clean Vibrato channel sound, and the two channels together will also hit the power tubes differently. Set the other channel to unity gain, and the Normal channel becomes foot-switchable.

(Since I posted this, I pulled out my Launch Pad and set it up just as I described. It's been a while. It sounds fantastic! I promptly unplugged my mini-pedalboard.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. schmee

Not a bad speaker, like you say can be a bit harsh. My Gain Changer is the smallish one, other than that I'm not sure what it is!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

If the "GC" has an outline (usually white I think) and the knobs are metal, it's the SR. If knobs are plastic and GC is just one solid color, it's the original.

I believe the difference is the SR was revised to get the limited setting to sound more open like the original Barber limited. By contrast, the original gain changer is a bit more compressed and middy. It's quite subtle though, per reports.

Ironically, the one amp that may not have benefited from the revision.... The DRRI.

Lol. We'll see. It's very close though based on reports and my interpretation of yootoob demos.

12. Axegrinder77

The only amp I've had that I recall being more picky with dirt pedals is the ac15.

13. schmee

it's this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  14. Axegrinder77

Looks like an original. If you want to know for sure, you can open it up. The SR indicates this inside.

Or you could just not care and continue to enjoy a great pedal!

If you do get the itch for the SR, I highly encourage you to keep that one. He only makes them by special order now.

15. schmee

I bought it used a few years ago.
    I have 3 OD/Grit pedals aboard:
    GC: Minor grit, Transparent Boost for comping and chording with a more "hollow" tone.
    TS9DX: Minor grit, fuller for chording/comping (Keef style) and more OD if guitar is cranked up. (SRV style)
    Zenkudo: Higher gain drive for leads occasionally. Dumble sound supposedly.

16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I like a Timmy.

The bass and treble cuts really allow you to shape your tone. There is a huge range in 'grit' from a touch (light sizzle) to a whole bunch (basically distortion).

I haven't tried one of the new MXR versions but I imagine it's essentially the same as the older ones.

bendercaster, loopfinding and schmee like this.
  17. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I like Tune Screamer pedals with my Fender amps along with a Wampler Black ‘65 pedal.

I usually run my TS808HW into the Black ‘65. The TS adds drive and the Black ‘65 adds bottom-end and fullness that the TS removes. Works for me.

18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The bright cap in the Vibrato channel can make some drives and distortion sound fizzy. Although, the C12K is a pretty dark sounding speaker, as far as I recall.

19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Unless you modded it somehow, that is, indeed, a starved-plate design.

PhredE likes this.
  20. Bad Penny

Bad Penny TDPRI Member

I tried an ac15 combo with several dirt pedals and it sounded dire with all of them

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.