Drove A Mustang Mach E Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We were at the Ford dealership to schedule some maintenance and decided to drive a Mustang Mach E. This was the premium model.

I've never driven an electric car before so I have no point of reference against another electric so I had to compare it to other ICE cars.

It was quick and quiet and quite expensive. The model we drove had a list price of over $53k. The mileage range for the battery was 300 miles. That's kind of a deal breaker for me unless I never drove it cross country to see my kids. It take a few hours to recharge.

It was a very comfortable and roomy car. The Mach Es have four doors and are more like an SUV than a sports car.

Our next car will be an electric. I just don't know if it will be a Mustang.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    lewis, CV Jee Beez, stepvan and 3 others like this.
  2. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I think we need a few years of development. But it's coming for sure.

RodeoTex, irie, RyCo1983 and 2 others like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I seem to recall Tesla only having like a 200 mile range not all that many years ago if I’m not mistaken. I’d imagine in a few more years the range will go up to around 400 and it’ll take less time to charge. That’ll start getting enticing at that point.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Torren61

Exactly what we were thinking. Our 2014 Ford Flex is paid off and only has 63,000 miles on it. I think we can wait a few more years.

Toto'sDad, Fuelish, Rockinvet and 2 others like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

$53k and only 300 miles before a recharge? :eek:

Obviously, I am missing something here. It ain’t rocket science … it’s battery science. Billionaires can build things to take them into … almost … space and yet only 300 miles per battery charge on a paved road.o_O

stinkey, Fuelish, Rockinvet and 4 others like this.
  6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I have a love/hate relationship with the Mach E. Sometimes I think it’s abhorrent, other times I think it’s cool. I’m usually not this way. Maybe I should address these deep seated feelings :p

Rockinvet and Torren61 like this.
  7. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

4 Doors?!?!?!?
    Has the whole world gone crazy?

Oxidao, PARCO, MickM and 6 others like this.
  8. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

Ohhhh...why did I look? Another orthopedic shoemobile.
    Nooooo.

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I know right! That’s NOT a mustang!

RodeoTex, NoTeleBob, SRHmusic and 7 others like this.
  10. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

Who told you that? The Ford website estimates 45 minutes for 10% to 80% charge.

Our two year-old Tesla will recharge to 80% in significantly less than an hour. A day's driving has us stopping twice. Yes, it's a little longer stop than for re-fueling, but you don't have to stand there. You go and get a coffee or lunch while it's charging. Factor in that for day-to-day use it takes no time* to refuel, and we are way, way ahead in terms of time spent charging Vs. and ICE vehicle.

*it charges while we sleep, and we wake up to a fully-fueled vehicle each morning.

11. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

My buddy has a Tesla in Brooklyn with no garage spot to charge it overnight, so he's always waiting around somewhere to charge it. He's got a job where he can and does work from the car regularly (every day), so it's fine for him, but I couldn't see having one personally until both the charging time is substantially faster, and the range is a bit better. That said, he can get it to 80% charge in about 20 minutes. It's the last 20% that takes a long time.

One perk of the Tesla is that his first two years of charging are "free" (included in his lease). I don't know A) if the same perk applies to buyers vs lessees, or B) if Ford or others have that perk at all, but that is something that almost swayed me when my wife started thinking about getting a Tesla when we were prepping to turn in our Jeep. Long story short, we got another Jeep. Lol

Torren61 likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

They had one at the dealership where I bought my Ranger. It was a factory demo safely in their showroom and they weren't allowing test drives of it. It looked interesting, more stylish than my neighbor's Tesla base model.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Torren61

The *salesman* told us that. He didn't know about any incentives. It looks like there's a $7500 tax credit.

14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The Mach 1 model has about the same range in mixed driving and costs about the same.

Compared to consumer products like cars, hurling things into space has a practically-unlimited budget, and that stuff isn't cheap. An electric car with a 400-mile range isn't out of the question with today's technology. People would balk at the price, which is why that product doesn't exist yet.

RodeoTex, richiek65 and Torren61 like this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It all comes down to energy density. Fossil fuels have the greatest energy density as conventional power sources go.

Battery technology (power storage/potential energy) is not even close.

"They can send a MAN to the MOON, but..."

brown2bob, Obsessed and Torren61 like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Aptera is claiming a range of up to 1600km (1000mi).

Torren61 likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was amazed that Ford called that car the Mustang...... huh? :rolleyes: It looks like a 4 dr econobox to me...:eek: I dunno the logic; maybe that the original Mustang was a "ground breaker?" But it wasn't, it was actually a Falcon with a different body on it.....:cry:

RodeoTex, SRHmusic, beninma and 5 others like this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Don't pollute the air with car exhaust, lets do it with coal fired power plants instead to recharge those electric cars. If everyone had solar it would be different.

But then, lets think about all those batteries going into the landfill in a few years. YAY!

Only a few people bought those Prius cars, but at least having a gas engine to fall back on and recharge the battery you have was a good idea.

rz350, NC E30, ChicknPickn and 8 others like this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Remember the Mustang II? Or how about that reboot in 1982?:lol:

RodeoTex, stepvan, Fuelish and 2 others like this.
  20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Their upcoming product is a three-wheeler, which would make it registered as a motorcycle in most of the U.S. That classification exempts it from a raft of safety standards for four-wheeled cars that add a lot of weight.

I see this thread is about to depart on the monthly raging debate over energy sources, so I think I'll take my leave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.