Dropped while ice fishing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

First off I don't go fishing often because I really suck at it. I accepted that personal short coming years ago as a kid. We all have talents and short comings and fishing, spelling and the ability to stay in a long term relationship with a woman are three of mine.
    So yesterday my best friend Dale thought I should give it another go. He's got a real nice ice house and since I'm in between females right now he figured I might as go out fishing. To relax.
    Well it started off great I actually caught the first fish. (last time I fished with Dale 6 years ago in Alaska he got 18 to my one) Then I pulled in another one. Maybe my luck is changing. :lol:
    Then somehow I get the line all tangled up. At that point another short coming reared it's ugly head. The inability to admit I'm old and need bifocals. So off come the glasses as I untangled the mess.
    Then my glasses fell off my lap and down the ****ing hole. :rolleyes:

So this morning I'm curious what some of you have sacrificed to the fishing Gods.

And yes today I'm going to the eye doctor and I'll be getting the dammed bifocals.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps reading a little Melville between nibbles, will aid the cause.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I put a hook through my friend's ear when I was a kid. Fishing back-to-back in a little boat. So I guess I sacrificed another guy's ear; does that count?

4. Noname

Noname Tele-Meister

I took my younger sister out fishing with me ONCE... ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

In my canoe, loaded it up with my radio, couple poles, my tackle, and a nice Multi-tool that I used often enough on the various fishing trips I took.

We got out to the middle of the lake, and I swear, she looked at me, like "whats about to happen" and then just flipped us, I really dont see how it was even possible, but she did it.

So I managed to save just 1 pole because it had a bobber on it, had to swim the submerged canoe over to a little island, dump the water out, and head home (it was a cold day that day to top it all off)

5. oldspot

oldspot Tele-Meister

Killed a mobile phone when I fell in a few years ago. Had a rod pulled in by a carp when I took my eye off the float for a second to find my flask. I still reckon it was waiting for that moment to pick up my bait; there's a whole treatise to be written about flasks and fishing.

I suppose some people would say the biggest sacrifice I've made is the amount of time I've spent fishing when I should have been doing something more productive, like studying, or working, or keeping women happy. I disagree; time spent fishing is never wasted.

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I lost a whole rod and reel once, out of the stern of a canoe, while I was stupidly doing something over in the bow. Luckily there was line out, so after much trouble and padding around I was able to snag it back up with a treble hook and some spare line, so maybe that don't count. I think that was the only thing I caught that day too.

7. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Bifocals aren't cheap. Sounds like an expensive day out on the lake.I've always worn glasses and I've always been rough on them.I don't think a pair would last me a full year.

8. Zachevans3

Zachevans3 Tele-Meister

I was in a canoe and my better half wouldn't get in with me. She said let me pull you up the bank and I said no hunny I got it, she got upset. I went ahead and let her pull me up the bank, it didn't work I turned over and lost most of my tackle box and my phone, wallet, and pack of smokes were all ruined. Moral of the story, if your old lady won't get in the canoe just fish from the bank, because she might try to "help" you get back to land.

9. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Glasses and hats can be swept off while travelling in a boat. Confirmed.
    My huge buddy fell asleep in the back of a canoe once when we were fishing and tipped it.
    Most of our stuff was laying in the bottom of the boat since we had stopped for a swim.
    I was lucky enough to grab my wallet before it sank. Buddy wasn't so lucky.
    We lost everything but our shorts and my wallet.
    I could have saved more stuff but I opted to save my buddy since he couldn't swim.
    He headed for shore with a life jacket under each arm while I towed the canoe.
    Stuff is just stuff. Buddy and I still fish weekly all summer long. He wears a life jacket at all times now. ha ha.

10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Back in my youth, when we kept (and ate) every fish we caught, I threw the stringer full of white bass overboard without assuring that it was tied to the boat. Oh Oops! I felt terrible for days, all those live fish on a stringer slowly dying. It still haunts me to this day.

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

My dad lives to tell the stories of takin me fishing for the first time on Lake Michie in Bahama, NC. I threw the pole in on my first cast!

My dad learned a valuable lesson that day: 10 dollar fisher price poles for 3 year olds!

I got better and we have since fished together many many times with no major losses.

I have lost a hat on a boat in the ocean, but was able to retrieve it. In my early 20s I may have dropped a certain glass apparatus into Lake Michie that may have made for a slightly more alert and memorable trip for myself and my very unwillingly sober friends;).

Aaaaah, to be young and reckless again. The sweet fearlessness of naivety.

12. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

I was fly fishing at dusk for sea trout and caught a bat once.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

With my luck it would've bit me.

Actually since we drove over a mile across the frozen lake out to the fish house.
    It could have been alot worse.

14. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

"He's got a real nice ice house."
    Don't go falling in love with it Clark:lol:

15. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

I've lost pliers when unhooking a thrashing pike, sunglasses, an anchor + rope I thought was tied to a cleat.

I did 'catch' a complete spinning outfit in a N MI trout stream. Saw the reel bail glinting and managed to snag it. Strangely enough it belonged to a friend who'd just fished that hole. His partner had just told him to cast farther and he heaved it right across the river. Kind of an inexperienced fisherman.

Years ago I was salmon fishing at night at Tippy and a friend's buddy proceeded to toss his borrowed spinning rig right out into the middle of the river. It was raining, the guy was a novice + he'd had too much Schapps.

16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Had to cut the rope to a snagged anchor once .
    Over the years I've lost a tackle box worth of lures one by one .

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Was fishing on charter boat one and someone back casted and caught my glasses on rim and they went air borne., could have lost eye

18. oldspot

oldspot Tele-Meister

Same here, except I was after trout, not sea trout. Have also become attached to ducks, geese, swans, coots, moorhens, seagulls and - on several occasions - myself.

19. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I also caught a bat late one evening while tossing tiny grubs to catch little bait fish.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Lost a bunch of blood once. Wading barefoot, stepped on the bottom of a broken bottle. 10 stitches at the ER and a tetanus shot, not my favorite fishing trip.

Bobby, on those bifocals, get the progressive grind if you can. That gives you a continuously variable focal length in the transition area - very convenient.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.