1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drop tops - leave the body thick until..

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by slick4772, Nov 26, 2020.

1. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

...until after it warps so you can make it flat again?

I built a Tele out of Alder with a 1/8” maple top and there’s now a warpage to the body. I suspect that the reason is that I should have left the body thicker longer - until after it adjusted to the top - then thicknesses it.

Normally, when you apply a veneer, you do both sides because of the added moisture from the glue causes the wood to cup. I’m certain such isn’t done for guitars. Is there a difference between drop topping a guitar body and just using traditional 1/42’ veneer (or any thickness really)?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you alternate growth rings on the body blank glue up? like this....[ smile |frown |smile] Wider thin panels benefit from that ie...table tops.

Was the wood thoroughly dry and acclimated to your work area?

old wrench and crazydave911 like this.
  3. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

For an 1/8" top to warp a 1-3/8" body something else is up.

I have never had glue moisture warp any body or part of any significant thickness. It may cause warping of a thin piece like a top by itself but then glue it to a body and it will conform.

The only way I can see a body warping is if the moisture in the blank itself or there are significant tension from grain variations, and I use crazy grain and have never had it happen when appropriately dried.

old wrench and crazydave911 like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I've never done a drop top on an electric guitar that was that thin but the tops on my acoustics are typically 1/8 or less. Yes, they move a lot with humidity but will more or less settle down once braced and glued to rims. Remember however that the reason acoustic guitars have a dome built into to the top is to allow them to move.

crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.