Drop filling question

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by torodurham, Dec 5, 2019.

1. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Whenever I drop fill nitro lacquer..its usually sanded prior to putting final coats on...however I drop filled after sanding this time before final coats...is there going to be any issues? I am assuming the 4 to 5 final coats will melt into drop fills and wont be noticeable on final sanding and buffing after a 2 week cure period.. ?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

You are correct. New nitro will melt into old nitro whether sanded or not. What's important is to clean the repair area well to make sure all traces of oil, etc., are removed. This ensures a good bond. One way is to scuff (de-gloss) it.

3. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Peegoo is correct. I often drop fill if I see a slight divot or something before my final flood coats. Works like a charm.

I would add that since lacquer melts into itself there is no need to sand. Actually, sanding before applying more finish on lacquer can be negative instead of positive due to the risk of contaminating the spot.

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.