1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive thru

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Feb 25, 2021.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I like to order ahead on an app and go inside to pick it up.

I've learned what places are efficient at this.

If I have to get in line to pick it up .. it negates the purpose of ordering ahead as they never seem to "process" the order ahead counter correctly ... and it is a wait.

A few places, like Panera Bread and Zoes Kitchen, just set your order on a shelf in front of the counter. Easy to grab and go. Those places get my repeat business.

Plus ordering on an app is way easier than in person. And the hidden menu choices are right there. I can order stuff, options, or sizes I didn't even know these places offered.

I also order ahead at the Sonic, but just pull into a booth and have em bring it out. No line there either. Again options on the app I didn't know existed, like easy ice (which is less ice in your drink).

telestratosonic and getbent like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So your pollution was done during the manufacturing process, rather than as an end consumer. How is that different? :D

Strip mining and high temperature forge foaming lithium for batteries is very dirty. Is it better or worse than just driving an efficient and clean burning car?

I'm not being a smart alec; I'm genuinely asking.

Obsessed and telestratosonic like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just let me enjoy this filet-o-fish, m'kay?

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you know... I'm just not in a rush anymore. I just went to the drug store to buy some gum and a treat for my girl and there were four people in line. Two were clearly impaired, very loud and comical except for realizing their misery and the misery they are causing... I just kept my eyes on the prize... minty fresh chewing delight... just before it was my turn, my super power is AFTER waiting 20 (yep) minutes in line... they get another checker. This is such a certainty, I torture anyone with me by letting the guy behind me go and sticking with the first checker. People think I'm crazy, I may be, but, I'm in no hurry when minty goodness is ahead.

I enjoy the starbucks line. Especially when the car before me buys mine as some kind of kindness. I simply take the free drink and drive on!

I also enjoy the in and out line.. it is always HUGE. The very well trained and kind kids come all the way down the line with their fancy thingy and take my order... sometimes it is fast, sometimes slow, always delish!

the pandemic has taught me the joy of tedious things I cannot control and how to embrace them and realize, hey, I'm sitting in a comfy chair, radio on (or whatever) air blowing if I need it... usually a dog with me who is thrilled to look around or fast asleep... if someone is with me, we get to chat, speculate and say awful things...

These can be the BEST moments.

oh yeah and most modern gas cars turn themselves off when you sit still.

5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always go inside. I'm never in a hurry. I'm actually a pretty patient guy. I also tend to observe what's going on around me so having to line up, order, and then wait is never stressful.

northernguitar and electrichead like this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

You should live here. Patience is not a virtue, it’s a necessity
    Tourists come here expecting everything to be quick, quick, chop, chop. When it’s not they get impatient and it just slows the world down. They clear their throats, tap their feet, or start muttering.
    First of all you are on vacation in a place that is supposed to be slow paced and laid back. Put on the brakes, take a breath, and enjoy the scenery. Oh, and remember to drink and drive on the left

They call it tourist season but we can’t hunt them. Sheesh

7. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I grew up under the impression that the drive-thru was an express service, but now that I'm in my 50s I realize it's a service for people that just don't wanna get out of their cars. Maybe they've got 3 kids, maybe they're just exhausted, I dunno, but the drive thru is usually a PITA.

If I can't pull directly up to a screen and place my order, I park and go in. The hitch to that plan is that most fast-food drive-thrus are so worried about their drive-thru turn-around time, that they tend to let indoor service fall off, and that hasn't gotten better over the last year.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

2-3 minutes or I dont get in line.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of places these days are drive-thru only for some unknown reason.

10. telestratosonic

So true. I'm in rural (farming/ranching) country a couple of hours ESE of Edmonton. The McDonald's at the local Walmart a half hour from me has a sit-down option. Lots of retirees (old guys and old gals) like to meet there for a coffee and to get out of the house. Every second table is available.

getbent likes this.
  11. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I'd go to In-n-Out a lot more but the line usually snakes all the way around the parking lot. It's got to be at least a half hour wait. I couldn't do that.

getbent likes this.
  12. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

The Starbucks in this town averages about 92 minutes. But seriously, it is ridiculous. I stopped going there, but the college students and tourists don't seem to mind the wait.

getbent likes this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Yeah some fast food joints are open here, but others just can't figure it out.

getbent likes this.
  14. telestratosonic

Hmmm. I wonder why. :/) I'm in rural Alberta. There's drive-thru but also a sit-down option everywhere I've been. last time I was in Edmonton, many places were drive-thru only.

getbent likes this.
  15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    McD's has pretty good coffee. I won't eat their food but used to grab a coffee on the way to work once in a while. However waiting times started getting very long. When I was told at 6am that they didn't have any coffee ready and it was going to be 5 minutes, I drove away and refuse to go back.

No coffee ready at 6am. What...?

unixfish, telestratosonic and getbent like this.
  16. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

And you can make sure your order is fresh and filled correctly before driving away. I avoid the drive-thru if possible.

telestratosonic and getbent like this.
  17. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A while back I rode with a coworker who stopped to pick up breakfast on the way to a customer. I had eaten at the hotel, fortunately as it turns out.
    So he hops in the drive thru lane. Waiting for his turn, he decides to make a phone call. Rolls up to the order speaker and continues his conversation while the cashier asks repeatedly what he wants. He ignores her and rolls up the window to finish his phone call over the course of two or three minutes. He finishes his call, rolls down the window and squawks - "HEY! I'D LIKE SOME SERVICE HERE!"
    I often wonder how much foreign saliva he ingested that morning.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

B1A75E97-622F-4810-B1B8-34B0FA72EE46.jpeg
    At the pharmacy I use. I’ve shared this several times. I just love it

Nubs, hdvades, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Anyone in front of me just ordered fries without salt. I have the same power.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We drew a cart with problems at the golf course yesterday. I finally figured out how to make it go when it didn't want to, and we got around the course okay. If you put it in reverse, it killed the whole system, you had to turn the key off and wait about 30 seconds, turn it back on and it would go forward. When you hit the throttle you had to hit it a tap, then floorboard it, and let up to the speed you wanted it to travel. My wife asked me, they will have these same problems with electric cars won't they? I replied, of course they will.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.