1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive Pedal That Does Low, Med and Hi Gain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Jun 25, 2020.

1. henke

henke NEW MEMBER!

Haven't tried it myself but the Friedman BE-OD Deluxe seems like the perfect fit for OP!

CC3AE543-090D-406A-B7DA-72420D9C9A4D.jpeg

2. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Probably a no-brainer here, but I highly recommend taking your guitar and amp to the store that sells any of these and try them out... saves you have to wait for the delivery truck, open it in anticipation, then figure out the pictures and YouTube demos don't do much to offer you the sound YOU want...

T-Rex Mudhoney II. Very versatile, lots of tones choices, and 2 pedals in 1... highly recommended... (price has come down on these, too)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MudhoneyII--t-rex-mudhoney-ii-twin-channel-distortion-pedal
    T-Rex Mudhoney II.jpg

JHS Angry Charlie V3. You can tame it down toi get their "Charlie Brown" pedal sounds, and you can drive it hard for the beast it is. This one is sort of a Marshall of many colors in one box.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AngryCV3--jhs-angry-charlie-v3-channel-drive-pedal
    JHS Angry Charlie V3.jpg

TC Electronic MojoMojo. The controls for EQ on this one actually do something, as opposed of a lot of competitor's pedals that go from "blah" to "more blah" when you adjust the tone control(s). And they can be had for $50 bucks. ($48.99, actually)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MojoMojo--tc-electronic-mojomojo-overdrive-pedal
    TC Electronic MojoMojo.jpg

3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Thinking you might need this instead... "One Ring to Rule Them All"... (LOL)

One Ring to Rule Them All.jpg

Brett Valentine likes this.
  4. jdiego

jdiego Tele-Meister

I find the Rat too dark and the OCD too compressed and modern, too much Pearl Jam / Foo Fighters sounding. It's hard for me to explain, but I mean they are dull and non responsive compared to a cranked marshall. I like more the Blackstar HT-DIST for that job: it's great for playing high gain power chords with a Les Paul at bedroom levels. I don't own one, but I've played it a bunch of times. Maybe similar sounding to the OCD, but I find it more convincing when playing with humbuckers. Can't understand why Blackstar doesn't have enough recognition.

If you listen to Guns N' Roses closely you realize they are not playing with too much gain. I've reached similar sounds with a Boss SD1 and humbuckers. The Boss SD1 is too weak for making single coils to sound like a distorted Marshall, but it does the job for humbuckers and you can fatten it up with a Tubescreamer. Both of these pedals are very mids heavy.

I own a Box of rock that I like, but it's more like a prince of tone, sounds great with single coils for a Kenny Wayne Shepherd tone, or for playing it loud for some ACDC sounds; bright and responsive.

Looking for a pedal that was able to distort my single coils I bought a Boss DS1 it, but it's too shrill and it's out of my pedalboard.

So for me a Boss SD-1 with a Tubescreamer or a Blackstar HD-DIST are very good options if you are just looking for something simple for playing some GNR.
    But a JCM800 or a Silver Jubilee with a speaker attenuator or an iso cab would sound a lot better.

5. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Every reply in this thread, except mine, is wrong.

1) get a bigger board or kick something else off
    2) get a really good low-mid gain drive and a really good high gain drive
    3) be happy

[​IMG]

6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Boss ds1. Almost a boost pedal at low gain. Almost a fuzz at full gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Think i have a modelling of that on my Xtomp and it's pretty massive

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

the Dude is indeed a great pedal with a wide range but I just found it too smooth for me. Just sold mine to Avery grateful buyer.

gridlock likes this.
  9. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

King of Tone would be the best I think. However be prepared to wait a couple years or pay mega $$$ to get one.

OR.......... I just got a King of Clone a couple weeks ago while I wait for my turn on the Analogman waiting list.

Must admit I really love that pedal and it has all the dip swithces to go from Boost, OD and Distortion.
    And it cost me about £90 shipped, and was here in under a week. It's not exactly the same but it's close enough for me for the mean while.

10. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Dirty Little Secret, OCD or Rat.

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've seen the Crunch Box mentioned, that would be my choice after building a clone last year. Sounds great!

12. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

I guess a lot of people missed the middle of the thread where I commented on scoring a Walrus Audio Iron Horse for $99. It's a Rat variant pedal.

Stopped in to report that it worked out great for me and the sound I was after.

Once I get some time, I'll upload a SoundCloud clip.

Brett Valentine and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.