1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive Pedal That Does Low, Med and Hi Gain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Gain Changer is a great value.

Also check out XTS Imperial OD. You could probably find a used on on Reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Congrats! The Iron Horse, especially V2, is nice. I didn't mention it as I wasn't sure if it can handle low-gain stuff and '80s metal, but then again that's not really my cup of tea. If your hunt continues, I've heard good things about John Petty's Plexi-style Gold, too.

Mimirr likes this.
  3. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I only have the big box Direct Drive Low Gain version and I do the same with using the guitar volume knob. It has more gain than I need, and it does a really good job of doing a cranked JTM45 sound. I love the "harmonics" switch from pulling the tone knob - makes it sound like an early JTM45 with Radiospares transformers and KT66 tubes.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Whaaaa? I still use my Rat for low gain stuff. I think it’s one of the best for low gain. That combo of a Rat and a TS-9 is magic because of this. I set my Rat to a crunch tone, roll back the volume and it’s just beautiful, practically clean. Crank volume for crunch, boost with the TS for lead tones. Use just theTS for “that other“ low gain sound.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Every track of this tune has my Rat on it. It’s set to a higher gain setting on the riffing and lead but, even the “clean” rhythm is Ratted... does great low gain.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="BB, post: 9927259, member: 2235"
    Also, I would recommend checking out Machine Head Pedals. Keith (11 Gauge on this forum) makes some absolutely fabulous pedals. I have one of his 72 Degrees pedals and it's aces.[/QUOTE]

I've got the 98 Degrees; same as the 72 with a bit more gain. I've also got a couple of Keith's DS-1 pedals with the mods mentioned above. Last time I looked, I had a demo on the MHP site playing a Parole Mod DS-1 at low gain and Brett Kingman's demo of the 72 Degees is really impressive.

Keith will also work with you if you want something special and, IMO, shouldn't be overlooked.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    RetroTeleRod, Mimirr and BB like this.
  7. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I love the Barber Gain Changer with everything in me, and it is probably my favorite overdrive (at least of those I've played), BUT if I were looking for a single pedal to get me from low gain/clean boost to just shy of metal, I'd get a Barber Compact Direct Drive, no questions asked. I prefer a couple of pedals to do this normally, but really, I kid you not that you could set the gain at max and just turn your volume knob and you've got the full range there. It's the most useful overdrive/distortion I've ever played.

Mimirr likes this.
  8. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I'd recommend Xotic OD pedals. There are a lot of them and they all work.

I particularly like the Soul Driven OD pedal because as a Funk/R&B player I need this. It allows manipulation of midrange levels from the guitar. I often get interference with the guitar with another midrange instrument, e.g. keyboard or sax, and this pedal has helped shift the midrange to another frequency peak and allows for clear voicing of the instruments near my guitars' midrange peak. I don't need metal OD, and often I'm not that loud anyway. I use Fender amps with a Strat or Tele, and sometimes Gibson humbuckers, and the humbucker or P90 are just so midrangey that one needs to move the midrange peak, think equalizer. It also has internal DIP switches to further add or subtract bass frequencies. For wedding/dance bands this pedal can provide many usable tones, without harshness. If you need metal tones or Marshall heavy tones you can get it, but it will be too loud/harsh.

I also am impressed by the quality of their true bypass pedals from Xotic. I recently bought the XW-1 wah pedal and the amount of adjustable dials makes it a winner, too.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  9. NJ Tele

NJ Tele TDPRI Member

Fulltone Plimsoul

10. richman6100

richman6100 NEW MEMBER!

ThorpyFX Warthog would be my recommendation. I got one to cover RAT tones (my RAT had a very high noise floor, maybe they all do), but I was amazed how how well the Warthog does low to mid gain stuff too. It's a hard pedal to describe because it's so versatile. Built like a tank as well (pun intended).

Ducksteino likes this.
  11. kayarcee

kayarcee TDPRI Member

Believe it or not, a Metal Zone. In at around 9 o'clock on the gain pot it's a nice creamy overdrive (demonstrated here if you can stomach my playing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBZtXUmhVVa/), and up at 12 it's in that G'n'R territory.

12. h2lifesaver

h2lifesaver TDPRI Member

OCD is excellent. Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or Fulldrive 3 are great (but they are larger sized pedals), the Fulltone Plimsoul is excellent. Generally, the best way to achieve the range of sounds you are looking for is gain stacking, so you have the Maxon 808 + one other great OD should give you enough to get 3 different gain stages. Outside of the Fulltone lineup above, King of Tone is cool but too much $ for most folks...Maybe the JHS Angry Charlie.

13. RaiFer

RaiFer TDPRI Member

I used a Nobels ODR 1 overdrive for some time, and it did everything great. Best OD I ever had. But it does compress when pushed hard...

willholt92 likes this.
  14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I've probably had a dozen dirt boxes over the years. One remains on the gig board now, and its a Gain Changer.
    I also have a Euphoria.
    Either of these has an impressive range from clean boost to raging grind. The Euphoria has a bass boost knob that can really thicken things up and put you into fuzz territory. I don't live there as a rule, but sometimes, I just gotta get some!
    Anyway, it is the great tone and VERSATILITY of these that holds them in my orbit.
    Lots of good suggestions here, many of which I've never played. From the stompbox point of view, its a great time to be a guitar player.
    Enjoy the ride, friend!

Mimirr likes this.
  15. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I agree with the two drives cascading thing, that's a heck of a secret weapon to get you into the high gain territory organically. Heck I think cascading two drives sounds better than one high gain drive by itself. If you have a good combo of the two it can get awfully tube-like and achieve that certain sizzle punching the front end of your amp.

If you don't wanna go the cascading two-drive route, I highly recommend the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini. It can do everything. It seriously covers the ground of about 4-5 other drive pedals.

16. IrishDad95

IrishDad95 TDPRI Member Double Platinum Supporter

So you like the Mojohand Rook and it's covering the low and mid gain you want. Sounds like you just need to settle on that second pedal to put after it. You've eliminated the Ratt, so it seems like a matter of finding what to put in its proposed place. Good luck with the hunt (that's part of the fun).

17. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I would stick with one of the J Rockett pedals. I personally like the klon clone style pedals.

18. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Plus one on the Wampler Euphoria - It's been my only OD for 10 years or so.

I gave my brother a J Rockett archer Ikon that he loves, and that Thorpy Warthog ... whew!

19. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

JHS kilt does that for me. It has some dip switches that when combined with the gain and tone controls can go from warm OD all the way to gnarly sputtering fuzz. It’s not a catch all, but it’s a lot. I highly recommend building or buying the remote switch that dimes everything out too!

20. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.