1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive Pedal That Does Low, Med and Hi Gain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Jun 25, 2020.

1. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

I have used my Maxon OD808 stacked with a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret to cover a wide range of gain and since u already have the OD808, you’re halfway there.

Mimirr likes this.
  2. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

If you can find one, an MI Audio Tube Zone does that to a "T". I still have mine. It really is a one pedal solution, but it's 6 knobs, and it has a pretty big bottom end that can be hard to dial out.

v.3 (which I have with replaced knobs)[​IMG]
    v.4
    [​IMG]

3. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Way too fuzzy and not the right gain structure for my liking.

pugnax likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Any particular reason you want to replace your "great low to mid gain" Mojohand Rook with a great low to mid to high gain pedal, in stead of just getting a second pedal for high gain?

My sense is that you need to buy a hundred pedals then drop the all sound pedal idea and be happy if you narrow it down to just two.

I have pedals that do low to high gain but not that do all those gain levels really well and to my taste.

Finding a "great high gain" dirt pedal is hard enough, and if you eliminate all of them that don't do great low gain IMO you're just not going to be happy any time soon.
    The number of hot rodded Marshall pedals on the market is huge but few really work as claimed.
    Plenty of players will post that they finally found that in a pedal, then next year they're searching again for a one sound pedal.
    I've owned a lot of Marshalls and a lot of dirt pedals and I think you need to ask ONLY hot rodded Marshall from a single pedal if you want to actually get it.

5. telemnemonics

Great pedal, I have one in a box somewhere.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

Into my head just popped the Tech 21 Sansamp GT2.
    It's a direct box with cab sim designed of course to go ampless, and it has three channels for Boogie, Marshall, and Tweed, plus three gain options and three "mic" options that further tailor the sound.
    Treble and bass helps with the fact that half the pedals we like have the wrong amount of bass.
    Cleans up really well too, turn down the guitar vol and you get a clean sound.

Not my choice for any of my dirt sounds but it does indeed do all those sounds well.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Can't you get those sounds using the three channels on your amp and the volume knob on your guitar?

LooseJack and telemnemonics like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The Fulltone OCD convincingly does the Marshall in a box thing. Usable across the full range of the gain control.

With the gain low you can really dig in for a bright crunchy tone.

One of the few pedals I have been thoroughly impressed with. The hi/low pass filter is great.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Ethos TWE-1 but, a old style rat with a TS-9 in front of it as suggested above, is very hard to beat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  10. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

The Fulltone Catalyst (!) claims to cover everything from clean boost to fuzz across its 'spark' and 'flame' settings. These were quite unpopular for some reason, so you might find one going cheaper than an OCD.

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Analog Man King of Tone.

The KoT pedal has two separate OD sections that can be used one at a time or both together.

I have one on my pedal board and use it more as a rhythm tool than solo boost.
    I start with my base tone. Guitar/amp.
    Click the left foot switch and I have it set to deliver a mild boost and slightly raunchy drive for my first level of dirt.
    Click the right foot switch and I have that set for a slightly louder boost with more drive added to it.
    Click both switches together and I have that set for a huge, hair metal sound while keeping the volume low so it sits really nice in the mix.
    I can cover anything from Country to blues to hard rock, to hair metal with the flick of a switch. And it's all perfectly balanced with the band.

If you're adventurous, there are some DIP switches inside the pedal and instructions on how to further enhance the tones for both sides of this awesome pedal.

Personally, I don't use it as an overdrive for solo boost. I use it strictly as a rhythm shaping tool. When I need the solo boost, I tap my modded TS9 pedal and it sounds terrific with all 3 presets on the KoT pedal.

This approach allows me to have 8 levels of analog gain at my foot tip. I always have the right sound for the song I'm playing. And it's always at the perfect volume.

https://youtu.be/O7tYWQ4C8r4

12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I finally picked up an OCD. It’s pretty awesome. I put a beefier pedal after and sometimes wonder why because it’s got so much usable range.

Another great pedal is the Boss OS-2. Wide variety of usable tones with the Color knob. Cheap, reliable and sound great!

13. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

Trex Mudhoney gets my Vote.

Goes from super clean to crazy wild, can't dial it in badly. And you can find them cheap

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Joyo British Sound is an amp in a box kind of thing. The American Sound model gets much praise on here. They're close-clones of more expensive models, and generally sound rather good. Generate the sounds you want, then use the amp for the final mile and the heavy lifting.

Blackstar make/made a range of valve based pedals. There was/is a single channel overdrive, a dual channel overdrive and a clean boost. The dual channel allows independent channels, or combine for madness :) I have their clean boost, which does as the name implies. One caveat with the Blackstar HT pedals is that the stock power supplies are a little iffy. I've never bought a second hand one that didn't have a replacement supply.

15. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I agree with this guy
    0618201958.jpg

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

RE: Rat

I’ve been a Rat user since about 1990. I can unequivocally state a Rat doesn’t really do low gain well.

4pickupguy and Mimirr like this.
  17. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

The Dude is a great pedal, does it all, but warning, it is super loud.

1EACE348-58FC-408D-8104-2D4775EC70E7.jpeg

dogmeat likes this.
  18. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Limited space on my pedal board is the reason. Otherwise, I'd keep it and do what you suggested. Maybe there's no such pedal that exists, but I'm willing to listen to YouTube clips of pedal suggestions. I might come across the pedal for me.

19. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

The blue and red channels don't play very well with the Tele. Pedals sound way better with the Tele. Now, my humbucker guitars are a different story.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.