1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive Pedal That Does Low, Med and Hi Gain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mimirr, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Well, maybe not "metal" high-gain, but Guns N' Roses type high-gain.

It'll be used with many different guitars, but specifically a Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster loaded with low output DiMarzio's. Going into the clean channel (volume max and using gain knob for volume, mimicking non-MV) of an EVH 5150 III. I know it's a "metal" amp, but the clean channel is really great on the new ones with the concentric pots. If I'm not mistaken, Kurt Allison (Jason Aldean's guitarist) uses one live on the clean channel.

Anyway, looking for something that can go from edge of breakup to crunch to hot-rodded Marshall. Something amp-like and good sounding no matter where the gain knob is set. Just a good tone.

cravenmonket likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

A bit of an expensive solution, but:

I use a Radial Tonebone Trimode. It has two channels for rhythm and lead tones, and three different gain ranges. Each channel has independent controls for gain, level and mid boost, and there are shared controls for EQ.

Each gain range has a pretty wide range, and the level controls provide a lot of boost (which you can use to overdrive your amp). Altogether it goes from a little push to face-melting.

The Trimode is more "American" voiced. There's another called the Plexitube which is the same basic idea, slightly different controls, and more "British". Each of these also has a smaller, simpler, presumably less-expensive single-channel version, though I forget what these are called (though the British one may be "Hot British" or something).

Good luck!

Mimirr likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

in before the rat
    [​IMG]

4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tall order! Here's what I like to do: get a TS-9 and a RAT. The TS-9 goes first in the chain, the RAT second. Low gain is the TS-9 with the drive at less than 12 o clock. Mid gain is the RAT with the distortion at less than 10 o clock. High gain is both of them on at the same time. They sound great by themselves and they sound magical together. If you prefer a Boss SD-1 to the TS-9, that's fine - similar vibe. You get three drive sounds for about $120 used, and it's a whole lot better than reaching down to twiddle knobs when you want to go from low to mid to high gain.

5. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Do you need to access both settings with a footswitch? If not, I'd take a look at J.Rockett's Animal. Sam Vilo plays the s*it out of the pedal in a series of demos, check them out.

Mimirr likes this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

the Dude

bolintrucks and gridlock like this.
  7. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister

RAT here as well. If you want to stretch it to two pedals I’m having good luck with either a Plumes or ODR-1 into the RAT.

RetroTeleRod and Treehouse like this.
  8. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

The EAE Longsword and ss/bs f*ck overdrive both fit that description, as do most harmonic percolator circuits (Land Devices HP-2, Dirge Evan Anguish).

Longsword in particular can really cover an insane spectrum of gaininess.

9. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

Analogman King Of Tone with high gain on 1 of the channels.

Wayne Alexander likes this.
  10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Fulltone OCD.

keng, Chupacabra, Asmith and 2 others like this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The Wampler Euphoria (previously Ecstacy) can go from very low gain on the "open" setting, to medium on the "smooth" setting, to higher gain on the "crunch" setting. My Joyo Zip Amp is very similar, with its 3 way toggle switch. Euphoria-large.jpg 13709131_800.jpg

12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

While my version of high gain may not be high enough for many, I put forth the Snouse Black Box 2.
    Does boost, Blues Breaker type low to med overdrive and a quite nice (after adjusting the internal switches) higher gain drive. Just (imo) a great sounding, great feeling pedal. The Black Box 2 pro mod has switches on the outside to adjust on the fly.

Also, I would recommend checking out Machine Head Pedals. Keith (11 Gauge on this forum) makes some absolutely fabulous pedals. I have one of his 72 Degrees pedals and it's aces.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it won't fit my board. Forgot to mention that.

This is for at home playing. My board is sitting almost chest high. I can only sit to play. I'm disabled. Also, I don't mind twisting a knob for more or less gain. I do have a Maxon OD808.

The pedal I'm looking to replace is my Mojohand Rook. Great low to mid gain. Really like it, but it needs a little more gain on tap. I can't quite get into that Guns N Roses Marshall gain territory.

14. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

I like the idea of this. Although, I've never got along with the Rat. Just not my cup of tea. I do have a Maxon OD808. If my memory serves me well, the SD-1 was too trebley for me.

15. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I've used a bunch over the years, but only two have survived the purge. A Klon KTR set to push the front end of the amp with just a hint of gain has been a mainstay for me, and for additional gain, I have a Timmy that seems to tick all of the boxes. To be clear, I'm using mostly Fender tube amps, and want the sparkle and spank on tap - but my band will often venture into rock and even hard rock territory, and I wanted to get there without switching amps. I keep the Klon on all the time, and use my volume knob to dial things in, but will use the Timmy if the starting point needs to be driven harder and I want more gain.

Mimirr likes this.
  16. Mimirr

Mimirr TDPRI Member

No, I do not. Thanks for the tip. I'll check the Animal out.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I should note that this amplifier has a great clean sound and most people don't even realize it. Not sure if this has anything to do with Fender's involvement, but it does sound great clean.

Mimirr likes this.
  18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Fulltone OCD.

I've posted this before, but this is where stacking two OD pedals really gives you a tremendous degree of flexibility without having to constantly tweak the knobs on a single pedal. I use a ZVex Box of Rock into an OCD and between the two there's very little ground I can't cover from a clean boost to amp on 11 rawk.

Mimirr likes this.
  19. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I'm a two pedal deciple as well...but my two may not be your two as it's all amp dependent.

thefruitfarmer and Mimirr like this.
  20. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Barber Gain Changer goes from just a touch of hair all the way to “dimed Marshall“ territory, and sounds good through the whole spectrum.

Chiogtr4x, johnnylaw, RomanS and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.