1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drive By Truckers

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Del Pickup, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've just been watching a documentary about the band and would like to check out some of their albums. Can anyone recommend where to start as they seem to have made quite a few albums and it would be a hit or miss if I just picked up one at random?

I've heard of them before and seen quite a few threads here commenting on them but never got round to checking them out before.

Incidentally, if you haven't seen the doco it would be well worth watching as it's an interesting view.

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Dirty South was the first one I heard & still my favorite. Fwiw.

3. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Try Southern Rock Opera,The Big To-do. Both very good but I think all of their stuff is great.

4. jvanoort

jvanoort Tele-Holic

Great band, real nice people too! Too bad Shonna left.

The Big To-Do is still one of my favorite albums.
    Brighter than Creations Day is another good one.
    Decoration Day is nice too (great song Hell No I Ain't Happy).

But all their albums are good.

5. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day and The Dirty South are as fine a 3 record run as anyones. All three are stellar. If you like the more country aspects of their music check out Pizza Deliverance. That one is ridiculously underrated. Brighter Than Creations Dark has some good stuff on it. 3 Dimes Down is a fatastic Mike Cooley song from that record. Overall it was a bit too long though and they were clearly a band in transition on that one. They definately miss Jason Isbell's input on that record. They recovered nicely though with The Big To Do and Go-Go Boots. A Blessing and A Curse doesn't get a lot of love by DBT fans but it has some great songs too.

Especially this one...

6. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

The one thing you have to do is see them live. Not knocking their albums at all but they are a band that has to really be experienced live, IMO.

7. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

...and you might want to check out Jason Isbell's solo work and/or Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (some folk felt that his leaving the band had a real impact and was a loss to all concerned).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is one of the finest songs I know of. From Decoration Day.

9. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

This cannot be emphasized enough. This band is crazy good live. Probably the best there is these days. I have seen them live a lot and they always play each show like it's their last day on earth.

Entire show right here. It's fantastic.

10. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I like DBT. They used to play Charlotte all the time. I never saw them, but would like to see them sometime. I always heard they were a good show.

Dan R

11. Del Pickup

I bought their greatest hits cd today. Seems like a reasonable place to start. Only listened to a couple of tracks so far but I like what I'm hearing. Bit of a cross between Neil Young and early Jayhawks alt-country with the grungy guitar tones going on.

12. Dan R

It's interesting to note that Patterson Hood's father is David Hood. Bassist for the famed Muscle Shoals Swampers of the 60's and 70's.

Dan R

13. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Southern Rock Opera,
    Pizza Deliverance,
    Live at Austin City Limits

First 2 are my favs, third is a good place to start. But I dont think they have made a bad album.

I watch "Secret to a Happy Ending" every few months lol.

14. Bohdan

Bohdan Tele-Meister

That documentary really got me into the band. Decoration Day is a great album front to back imo.

15. Del Pickup

Some of the tracks on the greatest hits compilation also remind me of the 'Exile' period Stones.

Definitely a band I need to investigate further.

16. Dan R

I have not heard all of their music, but Southern Rock Opera is my favorite so far. Maybe because I am a Southern boy and remember Skynyd when I was a teenager. I bought the record Second Helping at about 15 years old and loved it.

I like Decoration Day pretty well too.

I think what I like about them is the unpretentious, working-man style they have in their music. It's heartfelt and honest. It tells of the joys and hardships we all face from a Southern US perspective. There's some good rocking and good story-telling in their songs.

Dan R

17. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

Yes, the Truckers are a LEGIT band. They have been one of my favorites for about ten years now. Their live shows are incredible and its great to see how much heart they put into it (especially Patterson Hood). I started off with Pizza Deliverance, but I would recommend SRO, Dirty South, and Decoration Day. Ofcourse, all of their albums are fantastic.

Like someone else said, every one should check out Jason Isbell's stuff too. Amazing songwriter. Patterson Hoods new solo album, Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance, is about as good as it gets as well.

On a side note, Cooley plays a pretty badass tele. Does anyone know what kind it is?

18. Lenderman_k

Cooleys Tele is a Baxendale, I dont know what kind of HB is in the neck, but im pretty sure he has a Hot Rails in the bridge.

19. Lenderman_k

20. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

I would love to know what that neck HB is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.