Drilling a hole for a 3rd preamp in 5E3 chassis?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Junior Little, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

Hey all,
    I have a 5E3 Deluxe chassis I want to repurpose. Unfortunately, it only has 2 preamp tube holes and I need a third. Is it too close to the others if I situate it in between the two already there? That would give me 1.25" center-to-center. Or, could I use an octal to noval conversion plate and use the unneeded octal tube hole (I only need 2 octal holes)?
    For reference I'm building a clone of the single-ended Supro 6422, with reverb, but sans tremolo.
    Thanks, y'all!

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Hi junior Little,

1"1/4 = 31.75mm, I don't find that especially schocking if these are tube preamps in following stages order.

Would you post a picture of your chassis, so we can see what you are planning to do ? ;)

- tbln

3. Junior Little

The V2 slot will be the reverb driver and the V3 will be the reverb recovery and another gain stage.
    20190915_154634.jpg
    20190915_154847.jpg
    20190915_163932.jpg

4. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one of those little Airlines, I bought in the 60's, and I still play through regularly. Too bad they don't still make the little cardboard reverb tank!

Airline 9.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Junior Little likes this.
  5. Junior Little

That's sweet Bill! The reason Uncle Doug went with the Fender-ized reverb is due to "reports" that the original sounded rather thin.
    I've built this amp before with the trem and put it in a Princeton Reverb chassis and cab. The thing was amazing, so I'm gonna build me another.
    And, after looking at the 9-pin spacing, I think I'm going to give it a go. I just didn't want to muck-up an otherwise good 5E3 chassis only to find the tubes were too close.

6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You won't get Dick Dale surf from the little tank, but I'm surprised at how good it does sound!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.