Drill press, Radial yes / no, which one

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by I_build_my_own, May 3, 2015.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I hope this is the right forum..

I was wondering how many of you DIY-ers are using a radial drill press, which one and what the experience is. I am ready to upgrade to a new drill press and saw the Grizzly Model G7945 and Shopfox W1669 benchtop machines which seem identical from a spec perspective. But they have mixed reviews. Does any one have experience with these? Would you buy them or just get a bigger regular drillpress with a wider swing?

Recommend them?

Thanks

2. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

I think that the longer arm wouldn't be as stable and accurate as a conventional one.
    Therefore, I see the radial as more of a special purpose tool, IMO :D

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've purchased and used radials at work....Delta IIRC. Unless you are drilling on an angle or can't afford a drill press with a 7" swing ( center of bit to column)... I'd just get the regular drill press. The normal drill press head casting is more solid.

It was like this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=del...ilities%2Fmachines%2Fwood%2Findex.php;550;370

While there isn't really anything wrong with them, I wouldn't buy one unless I had a need for those special features.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

James (Muzikp) has a radial one, as I recall, and I also recall him making several positive comments about it. Not sure what make or model, but I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss it with you if you PM or email him.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a late 60's Rockwell Radial.
    Cool Machine.
    Mine will give me a lot of room to move that head in, out, around, up and, down.
    Up to 16" of clearance.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I couldn't get one in Japan that would reach everywhere I needed it to reach on a guitar body without getting a radial.

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

This is my thinking as well. For those of you who have the radial, do you find you're using that function for anything in particular in guitar building?

8. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

I would say that the drill chuck is one of the more important parts of a drill press. Make sure there's not a lot of run out. About .003" run out is ideal, but not that common.

9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

10. I_build_my_own

Thanks everyone for the inputs and thoughts. Does anyone have experience with these 2 models: Grizzly Model G7945 and Shopfox W1669. These seem the only one available these days. (well Grizzly has a bigger one but that is bit too big).

My concern with these 2 models Grizzly G7945 and Shopfox W1669 is that they weight less than 90lb which for my taste is pretty light weight - So I wonder how sturdy they are.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a bunch of the small Grizzly benchtop regular drill presses. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271771906254?lpid=82&chn=ps

These were sold for 50 dollars or so when they first came out and the price trickled up. I had tweens using them, and the only issues that cropped up were that the depth stop flexed and was essentially useless, and I replaced the switches with regularity, and the handle levers stripped out of the pot metal castings. The rest of the machines were really built pretty well. I don't know if those things have changed.

12. I_build_my_own

Thanks Guitarbuilder and everyone. I pulled the trigger on a "the 14 inch heavy duty Grizzly benchtop". I picked it over the radial drills from further up because this seems definitely more sturdy. I also looked at a 15inch Jet benchtop, which I really liked but that only allowed to tilt the table by 45 degree. The Grizzly has a table that tilts 90 degree which I was looking to make out put jack hole drilling easy.
    Thanks again everyone for your help - really appreciated.

13. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

A little late, but James used to tilt his drillpress 90° and use it as a buffer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.