1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Drill press for chassis and turret boards

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by DrPepper, Apr 22, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I got a cheap one and I really regret it. It always slightly elongates any hole I drill.

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you will be drilling steel make sure the press will go to a high enough RPM for your smallest hole. And enough horsepower for the biggest. This is especially true if you plan to use hole saws for tube sockets (which I don’t recommend). I have a 1 1/2 hp cheap drill press. I does the job for the tasks you are planning on doing.

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have cheap HF drill press that my dad gave me for free, and it's worth every penny I paid for it. Wobbly junk.

To be fair, I have some other HF stuff that's okay.

5. DimensionofSound

DimensionofSound TDPRI Member

I have a little Craftsman that works alright. If you’re going to go for it I’d get a mini mill. Then you can do oblong holes and some other special stuff for chassis’. :)

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Rikon anything is overpriced. Yean, they sell it at Woodcraft, but it's really not that good.

If you want to get into a good drill press, watch the local ads and pick up a used Rockwell, Delta, Powermatic, etc., and save a chunk of change over getting a new one that's not made as well. You can still get parts for these old beasts and they last pretty much forever.

A drill press is not required to make and modify steel amp chasses. Get yourself a knockout punch kit to make holes for tube sockets (makes cleaner holes than a hole saw). A hand drill with a step bit will do all the smaller holes for switches, lights, and pots. This method is cheaper and takes up less space.

Knockout punch kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RXNQ7N5/

Step drills: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QC39PY/

7. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I’ve had my 1954 Delta/Milwaukee drill press since 1992. It’s workhorse and a half. I’ve replaced the quill bearing once and the tapered chuck once. I can’t remember what I paid for it but it was a smokin’ deal back then. I like it better than all but the highest-end drill presses made today.

Engine Swap and DrPepper like this.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Now looking at the Wen 4208... Around a hundred bucks. I'll probably go this route

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

If I had bigger aspirations I would search for something like this... I will only be doing turret boards and a handful of holes in a few chassis's.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

i have a Delta 17-900 16.5" drill press. It's a decent tool but would be one tool I probably upgrade. One thing I've learned about owning a drill press I use it all the time it gets overworked more than any tool. Unfortunately the price of new drill presses are extremely high, I would search for a used one just keep in mind you will find many task for it.

Mongo Park and DrPepper like this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The only thing I use a press for is the board holes for the turrets. Punches and a hand drill do all my chassis stuff.

DrPepper likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

This is where I am headed. I think the Wen will do what I need... And, in all reality, I will probably only use ready to build chassis's.

corliss1 likes this.
  13. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

I would normally always hold out and buy a hardcore, vintage example of something like this. But I saw a cheap CHinese drill press, branded Parkside, in a discount store called LIdl, I think for £59 UK and it's been brilliant. So far I've made 3 chassis with it, so for £20 a chassis (ok, pljs £20 for one blank, £10 for the other) it absolutely does the job.

A vintage item migth be better but would probably be bulkier and heavier too.

I'm still learning how to use it better, but I know the drill press helps me do a more accurate job. I don't think I could have done my recent EF80 5E3 micro without it

14. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Buy the Rikon. You'll never regret having ample power but you'll quickly regret not having enough.

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Got most of my larger power tools off craigslist......OG’s selling quality stuff for cheap.

Nickfl likes this.
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Actually a small table top unit like this should be perfect for making turret boards as long as the arbor is dtrong enough for staking the turrets... 61LXF-AipeL._AC_SL1192_.jpg

17. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

18. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a cheap drill press that I bought from a truck in a parking lot. I’ve gotten years of use out of it. Only 2 complaints, the chuck it came with won’t hold drills smaller than about 7/64 and the scale on the depth stop is useless . Once the depth is set it works fine

19. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

I use the Delta for chassis work and the Ryobi for smaller stuff. At my last job, I had a mini-press that was great for drilling PCBs.

[​IMG]

20. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Craigslist is your friend for drill presses. Like routers, they seem to be one of those tools that are regularly available at a fraction of their value. Around here at least, you often see good quality, full size drill presses for sale for $100-200.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.