1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dreams.....it never gets old

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

hepular, SRHmusic, Phrygian77 and 9 others like this.
  2. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

When Nicks played the song to the rest of the group, "They weren't nuts about it. But I said 'Please! Please record this song, at least try it'. Because the way I play things sometimes... you really have to listen." The band recorded it the following day. Only a basic track was recorded at Sausalito, with Nicks playing Rhodes and singing. Recording assistant Cris Morris remembers that "all (they) kept was the drum track and live vocal from Stevie – the guitars and bass were added later in Los Angeles." Christine McVie described the song as having "just three chords and one note in the left hand" and "boring" when Nicks played a rough version on the piano. McVie changed her mind after Buckingham "fashioned three sections out of identical chords, making each section sound completely different. He created the impression that there's a thread running through the whole thing."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_(Fleetwood_Mac_song)

A Nicks song but, like so much of the FM catalouge of those years, it has Buckingham all through it.

RodeoTex, SRHmusic, drmordo and 5 others like this.
  3. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I love that song and it never gets old.

There is a debate about the chord structure, as simple as it may appear. It may be considered as never actually resolving to the fundamental chord, which maintains a certain tension for the entire duration of the song.

nojazzhere and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Love love love that song. My favorite of theirs.

SRHmusic likes this.
  5. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Great song, great album.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It grooves.
    I like the drums.

SRHmusic and elihu like this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not one of my favorites by them actually, and I've heard it so many times... it actually has gotten old to me.

8. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

@IanMoss and @kplamann - thank you for posting those tidbits and insight!

You know, I've always loved the song, from the first time I ever heard it as a 12 year old (and that summer Dreams was played on the radio constantly). But there was always something about the song that was mysterious to me and it was the resolving of the chord progression! I never realized that until reading your posts.

I love the sultry sexiness to the song, maybe that's why as a 12 year old boy I was so attracted to it?!? LOL. But really, it's just so damn sexy. And subtle, including the gorgeous background vocals. There is a feeling of 'suppression' and waiting for a climax to it.

IanMoss, nojazzhere and kplamann like this.
  9. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

You are welcome! :)

10. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Write something [appealing] that sounds different than what it is in reality? Like a “magician” doing what is just slight of hand?

I remember hearing the Stones’ Satisfaction when it was new on the AM radio, and I was young and liked the famous riff that seemed on the surface to be tonic/second/minor third notes sequenced, with bass notes going from a low to a high. I eventually realized it was different than that, being major chords/notes and the bass stepped down scalewise while “sounding” like it was going upwards in the scale.

How long does it take to notice that? How do non-musicians hear those kinds of things? Even if they don’t understand the subterfuge, is it interesting to them subliminally?

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

How many times have we all heard second rate cover bands play Satisfaction, where the bass just doubles the signature lick? Ruins it for me.

12. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My ears admittedly are not what they used to be (Damn you loud Rock & Roll), but I don't hear a bass stepping down in that riff. I hear it going from the root of E and walking up to the 4 of A, with a natural 2nd and b3rd. The guitar riff is B, C# and D...or 5th, 6th and b7.

13. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

Stevie Nicks wrote the song but it took all of Fleetwood Mac to make it into the song it was meant to be.

SRHmusic and drmordo like this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I remember watching an interview with Lindsey and he said, 'Sometimes I just didn't feel like taking Stevie's songs and making them great.' something like that and I laughed. I've heard the rough recordings of some of stevie's songs and I'm amazed at what Lindsey did to them. I think if I had heard them I would have not heard what was there.. just kind of casio chords with some words... then... poof, magic.

I never get tired of that song... that recording. The bass line, all of it.

RodeoTex, drmordo and Colo Springs E like this.
  15. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have always loved that tune. It brings back a lot of memories of warm summer nights, late, driving home from whatever we had been doing that day. There's a certain satisfaction, a certain kind of happiness, that you can only feel when you're young and as free as you're ever going to be. When I hear Dreams now, I remember that feeling, and those times. Puts a smile on my face. Interesting sidebar: a couple of weeks ago at our band rehearsal, our lead player was talking about songs that are in a certain key but the fundamental is never played in the song at any point. Before he said it, I knew he was going to say "Dreams". As soon as he did, I started to play it - it's not a song we do - and everybody jumped right on it and we did a surprisingly good version of it. A cool moment.

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked “Dreams” ever since I first heard it. It’s just one of “those songs” that stick with you for the rest of your life.

The band itself is a favorite as well. From Green, Spencer, Kirwan, Bob Welch, all the way through to the Buckingham/Nicks era.

I especially have liked Mick Fleetwood’s tribal drumming style.

Edit: After a quick check, “Dreams” has 158M views on YouTube. Not too shabby.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

One of the great songs from one of my favorite bands. Sometimes I half jokingly say that all I ever wanted as a musician was to be in Fleetwood Mac.

Mick's playing is always superb, but this is one of the greatest, understated drum tracks ever. A masterclass in drumming.

drmordo and fjblair like this.
  19. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I love that tune. Rumours was one of my Dad's records that I remember putting on a lot after school and trying to figure the guitar parts.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

It's old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.