Dream amps that turned out to be letdowns

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Maybe all is said in this thread,
    but nobody mentioned ROOST so far.
    I began with a 50 Watt ROOST halfstack
    and never got a good overdriven sound out of it.
    Now after numerous changes i ended with
    Silverface Princeton Reverb which i bought
    for Harmonica.
    Live is crazy.

velorex

2. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And yes, we made a hell of a noise in the seventies
    and had no problem with weight.

3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

That's where my disappointments have been found - big amps. They're just so much fun in theory, but you need a big context for them. I've had people tell me in person - and often read online - how great big amps with master volumes can sound at any level. But every time I try that, the amps sound stiff and flat, and the distortion pedal-like.

I've resigned myself to smaller amps, with my biggest being a JC-40. Big amps are still fun to look at, but to me they're like muscle cars on city streets in a town with rough winters.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 1:48 PM
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I felt the same way about a Peavey Classic 30, just tried to bond with it, but could not.

( Note: Years ago, I tried out or bought a few amps in an attempt to temporarily replace a '68 DR, which was ' sick', and no tech could seem to fix, so I shelved- but eventually did get fixed)

I guess I just did not pick up on this ( in music store) until buying and using a while, but the Classic 30 clean amp tone always had a spiky, upper mid overtone or trail to its sound, no matter how EQ was adjusted. Subtle, but I found it annoying!
    It may have just been the tone of the stock speaker, but I did not think of that at the time.
    It was ( is) a great size/power and liked the layout of Controls. I know this Classic line is a huge seller, very popular.

schenkadere likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

I really don't buy any real gear anymore
    ( broke, but happy with what I got!) but it's generally a good idea to really follow your ears, when it comes to guitars, amps, pedals- If you don't like what you are hearing right away! ( or can't dial in, in just a few seconds), move on!

* Of course this wisdom doesn't come ( like me), until you have first spent $$!, on the wrong stuff.

mexicanyella and czech-one-2 like this.
  6. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I have a Carr Rambler that I am not loving like I thought I would. The tremolo is not really great- I was hoping for something more Fender-eque, and it's not as loud as I sometimes need. It is a very good amp, but for as much as it cost I had hoped to like it a lot more.

uriah1 likes this.
  7. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Man, I must have some really bad junk because my Belair is the best sounding amp I've ever owned! I use the soak channel at low gain with a tele or strat and that amp just rings with harmonic richness almost like a Dr Z or even a Matchless. It's funny how we all hear things differently.

My Twin Reverb was my dream amp that was a total let down. I've spent again what that amp cost new on speakers, tubes, pedals even guitar pickups to make that amp sound like what I envisioned in my head but what I wanted just isn't in there. The bass is too deep and the treble is too piercing and the midrange sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. I just couldn't find the happy medium. My Kustom 72 Coupe is what a new Twin Reverb should be.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I run an eq pedal at the end of my chain. Works great! There is too much bass, low mids in this amp. The eq improved the cleans and drastically improved when running dirt.

Don't give up on this amp! I'm also considering jumpering around that bass pot resister they added. Good results reported with this easy mod

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Corvus

Corvus TDPRI Member

My Big mistake was a Fender hand-wired re-issue Eric Clapton Vibrochamp. I was expecting something special - it hummed, didn't sound as good as Champs I've made myself and was stupidly expensive - near $1000 here! Disaster - passed it on to a collector.

That Cal Webway and Fretting out like this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know that it was a "dream" amp , I bought a Goodsell Super 17 combo a few years ago, after reading a lot of positive reviews and listening to some online demos.
    I was expecting more out of the clean tone, cranked or with OD pedals it sounded great but the clean tones were not all that. Also reverb was weak.

I bought mine used so I was fortunately able to recoup what I paid but resale on those amps and a lot of other "boutique" amps is generally not great, if you buy one new and go to sell it you'll take a beating.

BB likes this.
  11. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Mesa Boogie Mark II(?) Super Sixty. Back in the day when you ordered it and waited, then drove to Petaluma to pick it up. It had a cool range of distorted sounds, of course, but the clean tone just wasn't what I liked.

12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Mesa 5/50 express.

In and out of the repair tech.

Hard to dial in the tones.

13. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mesa Nomad 45:(

Complex, hard to get a consistent good tone, sensitive to radio and electrical interference.

Sold it after I bought a JMI AC30 that's still my favourite amp:)

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree with everything you say. They’re basically the same amp.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

More of a curiosity thing now ( as I'm very happy with my amps, plus no $$ anyhow) but I wish I could go back and get a ' do-over' with the Classic 30, and try out a few speakers ( as I did not think of this then), just see how things might sound, try to shape EQ a bit.

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I have also found that the boutique amp builders who recreate the classic sounds of amps from the glory days add features that can give us those great sounds at much lower volumes. This comes at an increased cost mind you, but for me it's worth it. Case in point is my Reeves Custom 50, which has power scaling.

17. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Harsh and brittle. Now the Custom Shop Hand Wired version, different animal. Smooth and mellow.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  18. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

One word....Attenuator.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

65 Blackface Princeton re-issue. Sounds fantastic at low volume, under 5, then starts to break up too soon. Cannot get enough volume for playing live and clean. So, I bought a Katana for playing live. PRRI will be up for sale for Xmas.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Boy howdy.

39martind18 and That Cal Webway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.