Dream amps that turned out to be letdowns

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I totally forgot the MKIV Boogie I had and just couldn't bond with.
    The compressed distortion was not to my taste and the cranked clean wasn't either.
    Then the ridiculous tonnage of a hundred with an EV nailed the coffin closed.
    Looked really nice though with the exotic hardwood and cane grille.

2. telemnemonics

Yeah you know I think I often buy an idea of an amp but then find the idea didn't bear fruit so to speak.

Have you tried any small Orange tube amps?
    The OR15 is sort of what a modern/ modded Marshall reaches for.

Rob77, Telecastoff1 and gwjensen like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I’m with you there. I love “Vox style amps,” but for some reason almost every Vox I’ve played has sounded weird to me.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I had a Tiny Terror. It sounded amazing through my 4x12 and weird and boxy through everything else.

telemnemonics and pugnax like this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

That’s an amp I kind of miss. I gigged with one for a while in my early 20s. I hated how much tweaking I had to do (see a pattern with me?), but I thought the clean sounded quite good, and if I knew about the magic of boost pedals back then I think I could’ve gotten what I wanted out of the drive channels.

6. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

Very good point - that's why I went with the Neptune instead of the Royal or Saturn, it was crystal clean until around 3 o clock with single coils. I had that same low-headroom problem with a little Bugera, just couldn't get a clean tone at anything but really low volume.

7. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Rivera Studio Jake

8. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Another vote for the JCM 800. Actually, I liked the way it sounded in the store, but once I had it in a band situation I found I could never get it to cut through. Ended up going back to my Ampeg.

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

A rehearsal studio I used to use in the 90s got a Soldano (SLO100?, something like that). All the hype, Clapton, etc., I couldn't wait to try it. There it was, all covered in fake snakeskin, chrome shining, a bunch of dials and switches.

No matter what I did, it sounded like a cheap solid state amp with diodes for clipping. Couldn't even get a decent clean out of it, couldn't get a realistic drive sound out of it.

Back then of too much gain was good, much too much gain should be better, right? Quality of the sound was unimportant, at was all about the fizz!

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

...Oh and the single-channel JCM800s are the bomb!

naveed211 likes this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

In 1991, I just had to have a Twin Reverb...I couldn’t afford a blackface and didn’t know much of anything about amps back then, so I bought a silverface master volume* Twin Reverb at the lamentedly-defunct Eugene’s Guitars in beautiful Oak Cliff, Texas.

It was loud. Painfully loud.
    It was bright. Cut through your skull like hot butter bright.
    It didn’t sound like my heroes.

I sold it shortly after picking up my beloved ‘63-reissue Vibroverb, which I still own.

*none of those things are necessarily bad—one of my favorite amps of all time is the silverface/master volume Bassman Ten...however, the Twin Reverb I acquired just didn’t fit me at all.

stratoman1 and Fretting out like this.
  12. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Twin reverb

13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I can vouch for that too! I haven’t liked any Soldano I’ve tried.

14. telemnemonics

I sold my MKIV Boogie to a trust fund baby whose JCM800 anniversary didn't cut it with his band.
    I guess it was the fact that it was a 50w and the band was immature that was more the problem, than JCM800s not cutting it in band situations.
    My feeling trying them in shops has been that they would be great with a band but not by myself in a guitar shop.
    When I was trying them I still preferred hundreds over fifty's.

They typically came with the 65w Celestions which seem less bassy, so the overall sound at lower volumes was less fat and warm, more harsh and fizzy with the gain up. Later they got 70w & 75s?
    I think the fizz goes away when the power section starts clipping, and the cut is an advantage with loud bass and drums.
    Some palyers like the fizz and some 800s are less fizzy too.

And maybe a 50w with a loudish band is just a 50w with a loudish band: not loud enough!

15. telemnemonics

Never tried a whole SLO100 but have a Soldano dual tube pedal that they claim replicates the clipping part of the SLO100 preamp.
    Sounds bets at lower gain setting and pushing the amp it runs into.
    I suspect the SLO is yet another loud band era amp that needs volume to sing, largely because a clipping power section smooths out the clipping preamp designs of that era.

Take the creamy upper fret lead sound Slash gets with buzzy JCM800s.
    Turn down and they go back to more fizzy, but they can be coaxed...

16. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

For me it’s my tweed deluxe clone but it’s more about my needs than the amp. To my ears, the amp sounds choked at lower volumes. It’s glorious when opened up, but by then the walls are shaking and it’s too much for basement play. I am thinking an attenuator will sort it out.

17. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pathetic,,, just couldn't get it to Chug?!?!

36c6a0ec6f70d95a8b3d2bf739513a2a.jpg

18. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’ve tried my best to love boogies, really honestly wanted to - but at the end of the day, they’re not for me.

I must have had a magic Maz18 - I gigged that sweet 2x10 for years, and had a grip of compliments too - parted ways with it (instant regret) so I bought a couple more...and never had another one sound the same.

I’ll echo what others have said better than I could - the Bogners I’ve tried have never been right for me -

had a 5150III combo that sounded fantastic for “Panama” and a couple of VH tunes that were on the playlist - but it weighed a TON, and the cleans were not my cup of tea, and I never loved gigging with it.

19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I sold mine. I thought it sounded awesome with bass on 1, treble on 9, and bridge pickup. But that was it. Neck pickup was unusable. So it was just too limiting.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that Acoustic 270 stack I bought back in 1973

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.