Dream amps that turned out to be letdowns

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by naveed211, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I remember in my teenage years and early 20s I was seeing Bogner amps in the rigs of bands I would listen to. The sound clips on the website sounded good and the amps looked stylish.

It was years before I was able to try one for myself, but now I can say every Bogner I’ve tried (I think I’ve tried five or six models at this point) has been a letdown. Something about the way they’re voiced just doesn’t sound good to me. Most if not all have needed to be tweaked a lot to get an even usable sound, and even then it wasn’t a sound I loved.

Anyone else get really psyched for an amp only to be let down?

gwjensen and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

It’s probably my own fault but the tubes went out in my custom 68 Princeton and I replaced them an now when the bass is on zero it sounds like it’s on 10

Even before I changed the factory tubes the bass was really present

Everyone seems to like them though

gwjensen likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Hmm, I think by design they wanted to make those more modern/full sounding if I recall. I like the bass with the stock tubes at least, but I could see how it’d not be for everyone.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Chieftain

Just plain loud and did not play well with pedals..imho.....

Paul G. likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Ah. That’s another one I’ve always wanted to try. I will say the DC30 is one of the best amps I’ve ever played.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Not really a dream amp but a amp a lot of people say they can get to sound okay is the fender champion 100 I’ve tried and tried with that one

I guess it okay for plug and play but the eq is really strange to me on it like if you turn down the bass it doesn’t just subtract bass it adds treble

And pedals

Forget about it other than modulation I haven’t found one drive pedal that sounds right plugged in

Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Bought two Supros in the last couple of years because they sound so good in the stores. One was the Royal Reverb the other the Statesman.
    I get them home and side by side with my other amps it's a different story. Just last weekend I plugged my tele into the Statesman and it sounded really good. Then I plugged the tele into the Deluxe Reverb and it put a smile on my face it sounded so good. The Supros didn't put a smile on my face. I've returned Supros twice now. Not going there again. Just not my sound.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Yeah it seems okay stock I just got to find the right tubes I cheaped out and got a set of tubes that were already put together and it just ruined the sound although I got a set from the same people for my vox and it sounds great

So guess I’m going back to groove tubes

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Twin Reverb.

Always my dream amp as a kid. It was the big, bad, amazing sounding Fender combo that Steve Jones used. I didn't realize that they only really sound like Steve Jones when on 10, and only playing large venues would allow running it on 10 to sound good in the mix.

Nowadays, I realize that even a Deluxe Reverb is too clean for me most of the time. Princeton Reverb or one of my 15 watter 1x12s it is, most of the time.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

None for me really I've chosen carefully and kept them all .... except a Vampower/Johnston head from the '70s I had in my teens (very obscure Marc Bolan used them). Incredibly loud but didn't suit my Strat tone and it wasn't a Marshall. I needed to sell it to get the Marshall which I still have

I post here for historic UK boutique gear freaks.

[​IMG]

Marc Bolan used VamPower amps the 20th Century Boy tone is a VamPower with the 'Bite' control turned all the way up.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110717184745/http://www.vampower.com/the_johnson.html

This tells the story of the Johnson amps.

My second guitarist really wanted a Fender Hot Rod but found he has to put an American Sound pedal into it to make it sound good as it is so hard and sterile.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

This is going back a ways. The summer between high school and college,1990. I had been saving for months to, being a hard rocker who had just recently got a Les Paul studio, but a Marshall. I wanted a half stack. I didnt know much about gear other than what I saw on MTV and read about in guitar magazines. So, cash in hand, I went to the one shop in town where you could but a Marshall half stack. The "latest and greatest" was the JCM 900 series. They had both, the Dual reverb and the SLX. Tried both, and thought they sucked. They were not the sound of all my guitar heroes, with walls of them on stage! Major disappointing let down.

So I tried the other latest and greatest Marshall, the Valvestate! To my 18yo ears, MUCH better! I bought a half stack for $1000, that I later traded to my brother, who gigged the thing for 10 years. It finally died, he bought another and still digs it.

roncg41677 and graybeard65 like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

'65 Twin Reverb Reissue.
    I believed the hype.

Sufficient beans to support even the most robust bass and drums without bringing the feed back into the monitors, delivered with traditional Fender warmth. Add to that the ability to pull two power tubes for a measurable decrease in output...!

What could be better!!!

That was the hype and I drank the Kool-Aid. Even sold a for real 1968 Pro Reverb Silverface to make space. What a huge mistake.

I traded one of the nicest sounding amps I had ever encountered for a quintessential P.O.S.. Shrill, brittle, piercing, and just plain loud.

The only positive came the day I sold it. Even tossed in an Anvil roadcase just to seal the sale.

I still miss that Pro.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

jcm 800... supposedly the holy grail of rock tones? but for me, it always sounded more like a fender with a bad tube or something. thin... wimpy bass... meh

peavey 5150... people have mixed opinions on these, but they were the standard issue at every hard rock show for a decade and really important to the genre. except when i played them... i felt like the distortion sounds were metal zone bad...

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Good to know. I’ve been kind of smitten with a Comet, at least playing in a store.

I did have a vintage 6150 that ruled and I stupidly sold.

15. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Yup, very different experience between the amps you mentioned. I’ve found I really don’t care for the reissue Twins, but pretty much anything silverface or vintage black face for Twins sound great to me. Warmer to my ear. But yeah, not overdriving without an attenuator.

16. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Yeah, the Hot Rod series is something I’ve tried to talk myself into a couple times, but HATE the way they’re voiced. Can’t do it.

17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Still amazes me that I preferred my Blues Jr. IV over the Princeton Reverb, ‘65 Deluxe Reverb and The Marshall DSL20 when I had them lined up side to side at Sam Ash. Even my playing partner said “That’s You”. I went there convinced I was buying the ‘65.

Anacharsis and gwjensen like this.
  18. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Yup, I’ve been let down by the 900 series too. Funny enough, the SLX makes a great clean platform I’ve found.

My first gigging amp was a Valvestate 8240. It did the job, not a bad sounding amp. But gimme a JCM800 to play through and I’ll be smiling nonstop.

19. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

That’s my experience, too. The vintage silver face amps are so underrated, and much warmer sounding than the reissues.

rolandson and Chicago Matt like this.
  20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Maz 18. Watched every demo I possibly could, found one for a good deal, hated it. Could not dial in a sound I liked with any guitar. Had it re-sold within a week.

MitchJ89 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.