Drawing of Non Reverse Firebird body w/ Strat neck pocket?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, Jan 23, 2020.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member

I did a search here but didn't find anything. I've seen people online selling templates for a non reverse Firebird body and neck with a bolt on Strat neck pocket, 25.5" scale. I have no interest in neck-building, but the slab body should be easy enough to build and throw a Warmoth neck on. Anyone have a high quality drawing for a non reverse Firebird with a bolt on neck?

bender66 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

choosebronze and bender66 like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Damn. I paid $30 for those in vinyl form off Etsy. Thanks for that link though.

I had a builder build me a telebird body, raised center/back & appropriately placed 25.5 scale neck according to my Firebirds. This is the flaw I see on most advertised Firebird bodies, the absurdly long protruding neck pocket. Throw on a 25.5 scale on an already long shape & it's darn near unplayable. The pocket needs to be recessed imo.

I have some images on my phone.

4. guitarbuilder

I'm surprised you didn't check out that link before. It's been around for years and about the only one I ever link to besides the Tdowns one on the HD page. The Tdowns drawing and Ed Hawley neck are there as well. One stop free downloading.

bender66 and crazydave911 like this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Really sad,you're missing a great deal of joy and the ability to personalize to only YOU :confused:

CraigB and bender66 like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

It'll happen. Like a Lay's potato chip, you can't build just one....

CraigB and crazydave911 like this.
  7. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

One of the big issues you need to consider, is at what fret the body meets the neck. I recently built a Fender style Firebird with a through neck https://www.tdpri.com/threads/2-neck-through-reverse-body-bird.971869/

and playing the Bird now, I realize just now different you play them from a tele because of the body geometry - you tend to want to play a few frets higher. OK given mine is a REVERSE Body, so it might be different with the non reverse.

But even with a bolt on neck you have some (less) room to move the neck further back with a longer neck pocket if you want to - it's your guitar if you choose to ;)

8. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Interesting. You mention the length of the neck pocket, so when you say "recessed" do you mean moving the neck pocket closer to the bridge (and then presumably moving the bridge back to keep the scale)?

Maybe I should've added "right now." I'm not opposed to it. But building the body is really just woodworking, which I can handle. Shaping a neck and heel, radiusing a fingerboard, installing dots and frets... now we're talking about skills/tools/effort level I don't have right now.

That's a beautiful build! Great work. I think your comment probably goes hand in hand with what bender66 was saying. Maybe I'll have to think about and plan this build a lot more than just doing a standard tele body. I'll draw some things up and see if it looks like something worth pursuing, I guess. My woodworking skill are better than my understanding of the science behind guitar building. I'm thinking if I try to tweak one component I'll mess up another without realizing it.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure i've seen it but never noticed the FB files. Thanks nonetheless. Got it bookmarked now.

Exactly. I laid a tele neck on my FB lined up at the nut to see where it would fit to get the same feel lengthwise for a Firebird. I guesstimated around 16th fret or so. Had the builder move the pocket/bridge location back.

I used this image for reference.
    [​IMG]

Heres what I ended up with, ash body & P90 neck route.
    20190613_100126.jpg 20190613_094830.jpg

CraigB and crazydave911 like this.
  10. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Another thing to consider the Gibson Firebird neck angle vs 0 deg neck angle of a Fender and the type of bridge you want to use.

SO for me, I didn't want my neck/ fretboard sticking high in the air and wanted the FB flush with the body top i.e. there's no 2.3mm pickguard height,so the neck pocket can be that much deeper (for a bolt-on neck) - so I had to drop my Tele bridge that much into the body otherwise my saddles would sit too high.

See FB flush on body - no space for a pickguard as per normal Fender specs, so heel pocket on a bolt-on would be the 2.3mm odd deeper, but then you need to drop the bridge level by that much also (which is what you see I did)
    IMG_20190803_143630.jpeg

I asked some other geometry questions here https://www.tdpri.com/threads/firebird-geometry-questions.954947/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.