Drawing a Crowd

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Bob Sushko, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Either way it is a hard sell. There are a half a dozen blues clubs around me within 20mi or so. They expect you to play it all night. The only problem is that there are around 200 blues bands trying to get booked in these places. To me it is better to play the situation. Of course that insight comes with around 55 years of playing out. I wish I could bring myself to quit. I did last year. Just when I think I'm out .... they drag me back in.

2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

^^^here's the answer, @Bob Sushko

I grew up in Bergen Cty; still live in the area...I think all blues is a tough sell these days- 'round here anyways....

Bob Sushko likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure there's a single, easy answer. If there was...

One inescapable element: be honest now, how easy is it to look at you? Yes, the world is unfair like that, just like that.

Here's a very talented duo, doing a cover of Son House. My first guess is that they haven't experienced the same problem drawing crowds that the OP may have. I don't know, though.

I do know (from a previous band) that we always seemed to draw a larger crowd when we added a talented female vocalist. Like double, sometimes. If that were always the easy answer, I would (and I do, from time to time) keep an eye out for recruiting opportunities, but that venn diagram is a fairly small overlap.

but you never know.

4. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

I like the ideas of 'play for the situation' and looking for a singer that will attract, whether it's a cutey-pie like Larkin Poe or a young BB King . . .

5. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I like the blues.
    I play the blues.
    I don't want to hear 4 hours of blues.

My band plays some cool blues in a variety of butt-wiggling styles, adds some Memphis and Detroit soul, a bit of popular Americana, some good rock (WITH roll), and just a pinch of country. We don't play out much but everyone has a good time when we do. Are we a blues band? Yes, but a lot more than the stereotype.

6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Search the 10 Best Blues Clubs in the US. Research what they are doing. But a big part is being in a “Blues” city. Which leads to “did any Blues Radio station survive?” At least 5 Blues stations for Memphis.

9515587B-AC5A-490B-BA50-54CA300A9C65.png

Bob Sushko likes this.
  7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Most of those are AM or left of the dial (public radio)?

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Try and get more attractive women to go there. The crowds will follow.

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

That works but then you don’t need a band.

Bob Sushko and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Drawing a Crowd”

At all costs, keep your clothes on

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Food and drink specials.
    GET people there, and be good enough to KEEP them there.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK...I couldn't get my guys to go for this, but I wanted to do a bunch of gigs where we would pay out somewhere around half our pay to hire some hot young ladies who know hot to dance (if you get my drift) to stir up some excitement in the club. I think, if we got known as "the band that always has some hotties out on the dance floor" the crowd might grow.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Blues music is just kind of played out. Especially if it's mediocre and played by caricatures with all the cliches in place.

Maybe focus on current music or at least popular songs. There is a lot of great music out there that people actually want to hear. If you're not drawing a crowd I would say you guys either aren't doing a good job marketing yourselves or the music isn't that good or a combination of the two. OTOH if it's simply that nobody cares about blues then just change it up and play something paying customers want to hear.

As for hiring a bunch of young hot chicks to dance I would ask yourself if young guys want to hear a blues band. My guess would be if the hot girls aren't interested in dancing with the guys that come then they'll just dance with each other and while that can be fun to watch for a song or two but I would guess that it wouldn't really bring that many people in.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

It's so true. Only true musicians understand and can appreciate the blues. Everyone else likes crap music like Ariana Grande or Nirvana.

15. Flat6Driver

You mean hats, right?

16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

And Mississippi string ties. That's what a bloozeman wears.

17. Flat6Driver

Ha! Indeed... C0AEF9C0-3634-4BDA-9B4E-4F6D6ACB6CA2.jpeg C0AEF9C0-3634-4BDA-9B4E-4F6D6ACB6CA2.jpeg

noah330 likes this.
  18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flat6Driver likes this.
  19. Flat6Driver

I need to watch that again. What was it called ?

noah330 likes this.
  20. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Yep. There's just not much you can do with it that hasn't been done to death. As a guitar player there's nothing in the world that is as fun as playing a ten minute Red House...but who wants to hear that?

Around where I'm at we've learned that in order to get a crowd you have to go after the twenty-somethings. They're the ones that go to the clubs. People my age (forty somethings) just don't want the hassle of going out any more. And here's the real kicker...I remember when I was in my twenties and "classic rock" meant AC/DC, Zep, Aerosmith...et.al. and that's what we went to hear. Nowadays "classic rock" is Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica...all that stuff that was new when we were copping British blues rock. The last gig we played a cute little 24 year old girl came up to me after the show and said how much she just loved that old stuff...quote "The 90's were just so awesome."

So to get back off my tangent...to get people to clubs regularly I'd say figure out what the twenty something partiers in your area want...and I'd bet the bar tab it ain't the blooz.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.