DrASATele's Brotherhood Build "Simplified"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DrASATele, Mar 19, 2020.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn't agree more, it starts to feel less wood more instrument!

I do plan on using a neck plate and I did switch to a smaller radius. But I need to check that radius against the plate it might still be too round. If that's the case I'll shorten up my screws (if needed) and recess the plate flush with body... if that's not possible I keep those ferrules around too. I totally appreciate the offer though!

I think in the interest of keeping things simple, I'll switch up the neck pickup to a humbucker so I don't have to make a template for that odd sized firebird looking thing. I have several HBs in stock so that will be an easy switch.

I need to get back into the shop today! The Stay at home "advisory" here pulled me away from the weekends guitar work to prep for more isolation ;)

crazydave911 and DesmoDog like this.
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Amazon has a full to mini humbucker adapter plate for about $7,FYI

DrASATele likes this.
  3. DrASATele

It's actually just a touch bigger than a mini humbucker but not quite a P90. Funny thing is, I didn't want to make a template for it but ended up having to make one for the Tele bridge Pickup. Joke's on me I guess.

After drawing the humbucker and lining things up I'm liking the look of it all better than with the odd ball pickup. I have to say I have a bias because I love my G&L blues boy and it has the same set up, Keith style, Hum in neck, single in the bridge. I also discovered I have a humbucker that my dad wound a little over a year ago. So this build will end up having some family mojo top to bottom.
    Which is good, as my 7 year old son has been saying I too miss everyone. My mom dad and sister are in the high risk category and with my wife working in the pharmacy everyday we can't see them or anyone else. If we get it, we won't transmit it because we are already cut off seeing them.

I hope my fellow brotherhood builders are health and strong!

4. DrASATele

Looks like I can use the neck plate, still thinking about recessing it...maybe . . .

IMG_8398.JPG

Time for a neck pocket, first to the drill press to hog out most of the area.

IMG_8399.JPG

And I forgot to take a pic of the neck pocket template and router set up, not that y'all haven't seen it before.

So on to the money shot ;)

IMG_8400.JPG

There's just a little wiggle room, which is perfect for some finish and flexibility when I finally get around to bolting it on.

Then to the ruler so I can get my bridge placement.

IMG_8404.JPG

eallen, Barncaster, CraigB and 4 others like this.
  5. DrASATele

How do y'all like your pickup, humbucker routs? Flat bottom or 2 levels a deep one for the legs mixed with a shallower one for the center?
    I've been doing them all 1 height in most builds thinking it would take just a tiny bit more weight off but I'm curious as to what y'all do or like?

RodeoTex and crazydave911 like this.
  6. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

First thanks for your thoughts on keeping us healthy and strong.

I build with a .5 to .75 inch drop top and do a fairly heavy carve including a belly cut on my guitars. This restricts how much chambering I can do. I make my pickup routs as deep as possible down to about 1/4 inch from the bottom. I feel that it is not acceptable for a finished tele style guitar to be heaver than 7.5 pounds. If I use alder for the back body I have no problems. When I use sapele/mahogany I really have to max out on removing as much weight as possible. Even at 8 ponds (to me) the guitar is too heavy and not what I would consider a quality instrument. I have to add that I have owned a Les Paul and hated how heavy it was. I have a '76 strat that is ash and a bit over 8 lbs as well and I feel that is too heavy as well. I have talked to professional musicians mainly getting feedback for my builds and most have said weight plays an important consideration in the guitars they play. Some weights just from the net.

The Fender Telecaster typically weighs about 7.5-8 pounds (3.6kg).

Gibson Les Paul will typically weigh anywhere from 9-12 pounds (4.1 kg – 5.4kg) depending on the model.

The average weight of a Fender Stratocaster is about 8 pounds (3.6 kg).

The Ibanez RG Prestige RG652 weighs about 7 pounds (3.1kg).

The PRS Custom 24 weighs about 8.5 pounds (3.8kg)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    2blue2, DrASATele and crazydave911 like this.
  7. DrASATele

Great insight Wade. The PRS is surprising, I've gotten the impression they were lighter. I haven't played many. This guitar is shaping up to be in the 4-5 lb range maybe lighter as the neck is much lighter than the similar maple ones I have in the shop just in feel alone. I did the 2 step humbucker cavity just for the hell of it.

CraigB likes this.
  8. DrASATele

So off to the drill press to hog out some wood . . .
    IMG_8406.JPG

and then break out the templates and the router . . .

IMG_8407.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

Test fit . . .

IMG_8409.JPG

Oh yeah!

eallen, Barncaster, CraigB and 6 others like this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah, oh yeah! Loving it.

DrASATele and crazydave911 like this.
  10. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Oh Yeah I'm Loving it !!

One Tele Deluxe Double Cut sandwich to go please!:D Yummy!

11. DrASATele

Yes Sir!

Got a little fore(arm) play in last night . . . :lol:o_O

IMG_8410.JPG

Then some inlay . . .
    I'm using a 1/4 brad point with my aluminum L cut off template for the fretboard.
    I marked the centers on each fret and down one side for the side dots.
    IMG_8411.JPG

I use that same template which also has a side marker on it. This makes sure all the markers are in the same spot. Same with the template above. I have 2 or 3 of them for different locations on the fret board and side markers.

IMG_8412.JPG

I decide against doing the markers in the neck section and went with the fret board edge so I'm switching to a lighter inlay there. They are actually glow in the dark doodles.

IMG_8414.JPG

I'll fill the inlay in on the fret board after I radius it. I'm doing that because the abalone I'm using is very thin and I don't want to sand through them. I may change up the 12 fret with some MOP dots just because I have them.
    IMG_8413.JPG

12. DrASATele

Not sure what I did with the pic order there...ooops

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I've never seen that design for dot markers before.

Cool thread and build. Thanks, Doc!

crazydave911 and DrASATele like this.
  14. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very cool little jig!

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I see what you did thereo_O

16. DrASATele

Lunch break update . . .
    My tummy is a little too round so I kept with the Deluxe theme and added the tummy cut.

IMG_8415.JPG

Of course I went at it the simple way with a couple dozen passes with the B&D belt sander and then I followed it up my Shinto rasp (not seen in pictures)

Then off to the drill press for hogging out the control cavities . . .

IMG_8416.JPG

To the router, where I discovered I don't have a template for this control cavity so I used the straight edge of a MDF template to clean things up.

IMG_8418.JPG

Then back to the drill press for the jack hole ;)
    I did 3 steps 1 inch, 7/8ths, 3/4 just incase I find a gold electro-socket kicking around I've already got a nice recess.
    Here's a question... Do you center your jack on the width of the body? or do you favor the front or back a little?
    I like to push it ever so slightly towards the back for ease of access and less cord rub. I did a bass with a strat jack on the back and the dude playing that bass loves it. I might have to revisit that idea in some fashion on another build. Anyway . . .

IMG_8420.JPG

17. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I like that dot marker design, very unique.

18. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Like the jig you didi it with.

19. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Man, great work. Thanks for sharing.

Eric

20. DrASATele

Thank you kindly!

This weekend was much different from last, I actually spent all day on Saturday in the shop and even part of Sunday!

I was so excited about . . . sanding! Not! but I did it. . .

Had a few steps to get through before I started.
    First up neck mounting holes. I did pin holes with a 3/32 bit and then widened them to 4mm.
    IMG_8421.JPG

How many out there use the actual bridge to set the location of the string through? It seemed like a no brainer. I realized this was my first tele ashtray bridge. My Uncle who build my first 3 bodies, 7 years ago, actually did Tele bridges on those bodies and since then I've only done wrap arounds and 1 trem. Anyway . . .

IMG_8422.JPG

Pilot holes to get us started probably the 3/32 bit again. Then time to break out one of my simplified methods for doing the ferrules in the back. My Uncle was a machinist for GE probably could have made this jig/template but I bought it off of fleebay.

IMG_8423.JPG

Obviously that was the easy part of Saturday. Then I sanded.... and sanded . . . and sanded.
    Then I got out my waterbased stain conditioner and my stain and got to work.

Here's my sanding schedule for this one:

80 for all the rough surfaces and roundovers
    220 . . . grain raise
    320 . . . Conditioner
    320 . . . Stain

And here we are . . . looking kind of blonde meets TV Yellow

IMG_8427.JPG

Mojotron, RodeoTex, Macrogats and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.