Draining Caps: Resistor Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BradKM, Sep 23, 2012.

1. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

I'm preparing to tackle my first amp repair after watching a few online videos and reading a few tutorials.

When draining the caps will a 10 watt - 100 ohm resistor work? The ones I've seen used in my source material were of lower wattage, but higher resistance (at least 480 ohms).

2. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

The bigger the resistor, the longer it takes to drain the caps. You can drain the caps very quickly using no resistor. There might be a spark. The answer to your question is yes.

3. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Thanks!

4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would use the resistor, shorting certain electrolytics can damage them internally, plus it's hard on the terminals (and screwdriver)!!!

5. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

If you have a 12AX7 preamp then clip a simple jumper lead to earth and then on to pin 1 (not the other way around as you become earth if you touch the alligator clip unprotected).

This will drain all the filter caps through the plate load resistor - leave it clipped on whilst working to ensure no drain back of current into the caps.

6. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

A simple way is to clip one end of your (insulated) gator clip DCVmeter lead to the chassis and the other end to the plate resistor of V1. The filter caps will then safely discharge through the amp's power supply rail in series with the meter, and you get to watch the voltage go down :)

When you've discharged it, it a good idea to add a 220k 2W (bleeder) resistor permanently in parallel with the first (reservoir) filter cap, so that the caps always discharge when the amp is switched off. JM2CW

7. Knight_Hawkish

Knight_Hawkish TDPRI Member

Any ideas as to whether this might affect the character of the circuit/amp/tone? At that value (220k) you don't think there's any audible AC ripple being introduced to the amp via the power supply?

8. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

A drop in the bucket. Say you have one 6V6 in your amp running into a 5k transformer (impedance not resistance but the power supply does not know the difference) you could have 60mA running through the tube and 1.4mA through the resistor.

9. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Which I agree with but that is assuming you have a properly working amplifier. If you do as I do and test parts of you build as you go along you could put power on the power supply to check it out and still have voltage there when you turn it off. Or if you are having a problem with your heater circuit and the tubes do not get hot but the SS rectifier charges up the capacitors. I rarely discharge capacitors but I always check to see if they are holding a charge. And if they are I discharge them.

11. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Makes sense. I never thought of it that way.

12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on the 220K 2W bleeder...

I do this on all my builds & rebuilds; its good insurance for that one time you mess up and think the caps are drained!!

13. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Doesn't affect the power supply at all. The filter caps are there to keep the power supply constant. The resistor just helps drain them quickly when the amp is off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.